Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Crash at Pike's Peak
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
richardL
Pike's Peak Crash

Lucky guys escaped with 'only' a broken leg!!
pt_700
scary stuff! wonder who gets to collect all the items from his "yard sale"...
ChrisFoley
That looked painful!
jhadler
Dallenback's monster had a stuck throttle at the beginning of the course, and he went off the road like he was fired from a carrier catapult...

Here's one video, shot from a reasonable location...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpQtPhRDDs4&sns=em

Here's another clip from an Honorary Darwin Award winner. Standing on the -outside- of a high speed turn. 'Effing moron. Scary shot though, camera guy was probably 6' away from becoming cat food...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2T0c-xDdwc...eature=youtu.be

Amazingly, Paul was fine. He got airlifted out, but is basically uninjured, sore but intact. The car is pretty much unrecognizable though...

-Josh2
mepstein
Even at bike races, we always spectated on the inside of a curve. No way would I be on the outside at one of these races.
URY914
I always wanted to run PP until seeing these.... sad.gif
grantsfo
Holy @$%$#! Throttle sticks in 1300 HP unlimited car. He's OK too but holy @$%^#1

http://youtu.be/EpQtPhRDDs4
grantsfo
QUOTE(jhadler @ Aug 13 2012, 12:37 PM) *

Dallenback's monster had a stuck throttle at the beginning of the course, and he went off the road like he was fired from a carrier catapult...

Here's one video, shot from a reasonable location...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpQtPhRDDs4&sns=em

Here's another clip from an Honorary Darwin Award winner. Standing on the -outside- of a high speed turn. 'Effing moron. Scary shot though, camera guy was probably 6' away from becoming cat food...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2T0c-xDdwc...eature=youtu.be

Amazingly, Paul was fine. He got airlifted out, but is basically uninjured, sore but intact. The car is pretty much unrecognizable though...

-Josh2

LOL! WIth level of grip and power that car had no one on either side was safe. I have seen plenty of cars cross back over into inside of a turn espcially at exit.

In general hillclimb spectators are a little nuts regardless where they stand.
Randal
QUOTE(richardL @ Aug 13 2012, 11:36 AM) *

Pike's Peak Crash

Lucky guys escaped with 'only' a broken leg!!

Doing PP without a full rally cage, rally seats, 6 points belts, the best helmet you can buy, all the head arm and neck restraints and any other safety equipment you can find, would be crazy.

No question, that is seriously dangerous, especially if your planning on driving 10 tenths. Now that it's paved the entire way - speeds will be really really fast(*).

(*) 12.4 mile course done under 10 minutes - 156 corners - Averaging over 75mph, pretty good.
byndbad914
I was always hoping to run the 914 on PP after moving out here, was just waiting for them to pave to the top. Once I found out they did it for this year, it was too late for me to register. And I will be gutting the 914 over the winter and using all the parts to build a 66 Nova SS I bought last month into a crazy track/road car starting this winter so the 914 is out for PP I guess. Bummer, would have been fun to do one time. Probably won't want to risk the Nova, I would have gone for it in the 914!
Randal
QUOTE(byndbad914 @ Aug 15 2012, 09:28 PM) *

I was always hoping to run the 914 on PP after moving out here, was just waiting for them to pave to the top. Once I found out they did it for this year, it was too late for me to register. And I will be gutting the 914 over the winter and using all the parts to build a 66 Nova SS I bought last month into a crazy track/road car starting this winter so the 914 is out for PP I guess. Bummer, would have been fun to do one time. Probably won't want to risk the Nova, I would have gone for it in the 914!

Really sorry to hear you are doing anything with your 914 other than continuing the incredible development path you've been on. I know I'm not the only one who watched your posting and was amazed with your talents. Even thought you might make it out here to run one of our hills. sad.gif

byndbad914
thanks for the kind words Randal, it has been quite a journey with this car! I haven't tracked it, nor even had started it almost a year and fired it up Sunday and shot around the housing development I live in and can say that car is an amazingly visceral ride for sure. My uncle is coming into town tomorrow so I am taking it to the track Friday for a test and tune day and plan to really pound on it tho' I suspect my wheel work will be rather rusty driving.gif He is the guy that got me into hot rods so we will see if he wants a ride or not, he wasn't a racer, just a cool car dude. As soon as I fired it up I knew I had to have a few more track days this Fall in the car before tearing into it.

I would love to have done some hill climbs and was looking into the Sandhills Open Road stuff that just happened last weekend since it is only 300 miles from my house, but again, by the time I learned about it, the registration was filled. And it is an odd deal as there are no hotels in the area, people stay at local's homes which I frankly feel a bit much for my taste, and there were some funky limitations on the speeds I would be able to run. I was going to do the first one with the Vette I had in fact due to speed limitations the first time, but again, registration was wrapped up. And I sold the Grand Sport in Feb when I realized I really want a track car I can drive on the street, not the other way around which the GS was for me.

The 914 is fast, it is really fast actually as of last September when one lap I ran was down in Cup car territory for the track, but it is also a LOT of work to run a lap like that. I really don't know how the pros can do it for so many laps like they do. I run a couple laps on the ragged edge and I am mentally wore out laugh.gif

I think the Nova will be a really cool car too if I can figure out how to get all the ideas in my head into a real car. I have never built my own chassis start to finish bending/cutting all the tubing and I really want to teach myself how to do all of that. Will be a lot less cage in the car, but will keep the sequential transaxle, adapt a Corvette torque tube between the Chevy and the Mendeola which will be an interesting problem to solve, so forth, so I am looking forward to a change and another unique project.
URY914
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.