Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Motor Meister
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ppickerell
Anyone have experience with Motor Meister in Downey? 2.5l six with 175 horse for $8000.
Aaron Cox
uh oh- do a search
Trekkor
Motor Miester...Hmmm. I asked about 'em , too.
Never heard anything bad. I'd give them a chance if they stand behind the work.

They ad in Pano every month. I'd like to think if they sold compost to everybody, someone woulda noticed by now.

I believe that any business that produces low quality product will fail.

Quality goods and services will survive.

KT
Qarl
Go ye, to the Pelican 911 board, and thine answer wilst be divulged!
Trekkor
Tell us *something* or post them linkies. wink.gif

KT
3liter914-6
QUOTE(trekkor @ Oct 24 2004, 12:49 AM)
Tell us *something* or post them linkies. wink.gif

KT

Motor Meister on Pelican
McMark

Uhhhh........AA? unsure.gif
Trekkor
The products I recieved from AA were high quality.
The issue is getting the parts. wink.gif

KT
ChrisFoley
I installed a Motor Meister 2.7L for a customer.
There were some minor problems, but they were helpful over the phone. I think the customer is generally happy with what he got.
Red-Beard
I bought a bunch of parts from them and now real problems. There is a bunch of talk on the 911 board at they do very poor rebuilds.

What I think it really comes down to, when they rebuild an engine, they fix what is broken, which reduces the cost. Many people in the 911 community believe that you should replace and fix everything.

On the phone, they have never mistreated me (like a certain Geogia based company). I'd give them a try, if they are willing to stand behind the work.
Joe Bob
Ummmmm, in a word.....they SUCK. :finger2:
Red-Beard
Mike, what happened? Specifics?
Joe Bob
To me? Nothing....just been around the block with them. I have a friend that has the only GOOD running motor I have heard about.

I have heard that they do pretty good weber triple throat work though....
TimT
I have heard that they do pretty good weber triple throat work though....

A guy I know bought a set of webers from MM, they were sold as refurbished. So we ended up rebuilding them, and cleaning them, and having the shafts rebushed.

The carbs looked like they had never been disassembled

MM sucks
morph
QUOTE(trekkor @ Oct 23 2004, 10:21 PM)
The products I recieved from AA were high quality.
The issue is getting the parts. wink.gif

KT

agree.gif
they do have great products,there customer service sucks if you ever attempt to have anything shipped to you
Joe Bob
OK...that myth gets shot down too....I guess they completely suck....
Red-Beard
I highly reccomend Sergio at Motorworks in San Diego.

He's rebuilding a 2.2T for me for $2600. That is including valves, seats, valve job, gaskets, bearings, rings, etc. The engine does not need P&C and only minor head work.

Motorworks

He rebuilt the Blond's engine. The only thing he didn't do was the installation of the piston squirters (he didn't have the jig for it). He does not replace everything. He replaces the out of spec parts or re-works them.
Brando
The only bad instance I have had with Motor Meister is an instance where a customer brought their car into our shop. Motor Meister had rebuilt his 2.7 and it used CIS. The car had to pass smog and would fail and run horribly. What happened is the customer bought a fuel distributor from them and appearantly they only fixed what was broken or worn on the engine when he had paid for a complete teardown and replacement of all working parts. Needless to say, the owner ended up spending more for a BRAND NEW fuel distributor from us, which they also paid for a "BRAND NEW" fuel distributor from Motor Meister (that was bad). Whence the customer left they had a well-running and smog passed car. Motor Meister did a good job on the engine itself, but missed the fuel system completely. That customer continued on to small claims court.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(trekkor @ Oct 23 2004, 08:12 PM)

They ad in Pano every month. I'd like to think if they sold compost to everybody, someone woulda noticed by now.

KT

Oh? Consider Fram filters, Slick 50, et. al., Mc Donalds, et.al., tobacco companies, the guys who make those fuel line magnets, anyone advertising in The Globe or The National Enquirer, and a list of other examples too long to list in a year! Advertising, my friend. Effectively negating any disadvantage you might have from poor quality products, or products with no quality whatsoever.
You think Pano (or any other media outlet that depends on advertising revenues!) screens their advertisers for quality before they take their money? Not much more than they do for Saturday morning cartoon shows or infomercials! End of Rant! Need a Rolex you can afford? I can dig through my deleted messages and get you a link .........26 Bucks! The Cap'n
Trekkor
I guess I should have said," if they can afford to advertise"...

I would think if the whole PCA, POC, PRC, etc Porsche community knew they were a hack shop, they would make some major changes to repair their reputation.

My only knowledge of MM is the ad. confused24.gif...That I liked.

KT
sgomes
Oh my F'ing GOD!!!! Why are we even discussing these crooks!!!! ar15.gif

DO NOT GO TO MOTOR MEISTER!!!!! They are complete crooks. They will do anything and everything to take your money. I've personally seen an engine where they JB Welded the case to stop an oil leak.

My personal story was the shitty transmission rebuild they did for me. Brad has been elbows deep in my tranny and can give you more specifics but basically they did the least amout of work for the most amount of money.

For $1800 they gave me new syncros. Yep. That's it. $1800 freaking dollars for new syncros. Did they even look at the bearings? no. Did they notice the races spining in the case? no. Did the transmission even WORK after I got it back. no. I drove at most 10 miles before the thing started making so much howling noise that I couldn't hear the engine!!!!

Here is the best part. The tranny was out of warrenty by the time I installed it. So when I called them to complain they gave me the simple, "sorry, it's been over 90 days. We can't help you." finger.gif Did they even try to look at it? They would have easily noticed the sycros didn't have a scratch on them.

DON'T FUCKING GO TO MOTOR MEISTER!!!!!!!
Aaron Cox
should we call them "motor sheister™" ? lol2.gif
Zeke
MM tears down engines, supposedly mics clearances, replaces what they think needs replacing and reassembles. Not much different than what I would do. Problem is, they do it on an assembly line basis, where each of us would do just our own, one at a time (if you happen to have more than one)

They will also transfer used parts that are thought to be in spec to a different engine. This is where I think they go wrong. If the part is out of spec, it has to be replaced with a new one, not one from another engine.

In addition, if you are going to remove the P/C's, you might as well go the full rebuild route starting with checking/machining of the case halves. I say this to ensure that deck heights and squareness to the crank are in spec.

It's up to you how you rebuild your engine. But if you are doing the work personally, or you know your mechanic is competent and is only working on your engine with your parts, then it will probably have a better chance of going the distance vs. an assembly line refurbish job.

This is all a personal opinion, of course.
BTW, this is not how I handled my 4 cyl motor. All was new or machined.
dflesburg
There must be some good local builders near you. There are some in Ohio near me. If I won the lottery and lost about 45 IQ points all on the same day, and decided to pay top dollar for a motor I would choose Andial.
sgomes
QUOTE(acox914 @ Oct 24 2004, 11:46 AM)
should we call them "motor sheisterâ„¢" ? lol2.gif

laugh.gif actually I usually call them exactly that but I chose not to so that people would be able to search and find my opinion about them. ar15.gif
mikey
I upped the displacement on my 914-6 from 2.0 to 2.4 liters. I called Motor Meister about changing the jets in the carbs because of the higher displacement and bought bigger venturis from him. He originally sent the wrong venturis. I returned them and he sent me the correct ones without problems. In all, I thought it was a favorable business transaction. I'm still putting the motor together so I can't say yet whether the jets and venturis work well.

But why use someone in Downey when you have a great guy much closer to Pleasanton? Call Ted Robinson at German Precision. He's a great guy and has helped me with my two 356s and my 914-6.

German Precision
1270H Lawrence Station Road
Sunnyvale, CA 94089

(408) 747-0728
mikey
Duh, just reread your post. You're not having a rebuild done. Give Ted a call anyway. He'll help you find an engine (or he might just have one laying around).
TimT
But why use someone in Downey when you have a great guy much closer to Pleasanton? Call Ted Robinson at German Precision. He's a great guy and has helped me with my two 356s and my 914-6.

German Precision
1270H Lawrence Station Road
Sunnyvale, CA 94089

(408) 747-0728

agree.gif Ted has done a bunch of machine work for me, nice guy, helpful and knowledgeable.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.