Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2056 w 9550 cam
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Porschef
If you've got this arrangement, what are you getting for MPG's? Curious to see how you do.

Thanks.
76-914
At 52 hours TT on engine with passenger; 80-90 mph hiway and 120 miles city driving. Total miles 996 miles. Got 37 mpg.
vw505
Is that with carbs or F/I ?
Porschef
Ljet. She ran great this past weekend, 400 miles each way. I'm just not thrilled with my uh, fuel economy.... hissyfit.gif

37 mpg is incredible!
hcdmueller
Last summer I was getting somewhere in the low 30's at 85ish on the autobahn. The Germans put ethanol in their fuel now so it could be better. I am running D-Jet and have the mps adjusted to run pretty close to 14:1 at cruising speeds.
TheCabinetmaker
D-jet. I'm getting 25 in town and around 32 highway. That is, when I can keep my foot out of it.
Valy
Don't expect better fuel economy than stock.
After all, more power=more fuel.
euro911
I have to fix my ODO and the the A/F dialed in so I can find out ... dry.gif
Porschef
Well after the 800 mile weekend excursion, I was getting 23 mpg on the highway....kinda low in my estimation. At 4 bucks a pop for a gallon of 93, it adds up.

It's still a blast to drive, although I really need to get an AFM installed.
r_towle
sounds like it running to rich.
lotus_65
I'm running a 9580/w carbs, and my mpg's suck!
sad.gif
euro911
Mine has a 9580 as well sad.gif

Hoping the Carb Clinic on the 25th. helps to get it dialed in. Ordering 32mm venturis and some additional sets of main jets today. I'll report back.
rwilner
Be careful if you lean it out at cruise to watch your head temperatures.

I don't have that combo, but I get my coolest temperatures around 13.5:1 at cruise, which yields around 28-30 mpg highway. I could go leaner and get better fuel economy but it's worth it to me to keep the engine cooler / last longer.

If this was my only car I might experiment with a leaner cruise, but since it's the "fun car," this compromise is ok.
wndsrfr
" At 4 bucks a pop for a gallon of 93, it adds up. "

I'm running my 2316 with Raby 9560 cam, SDS injection & ignition & A/F/KA/S/Z gearing and can't seem to do better than 8mpg at DE's. At over $8.00 per gallon for 100 unleaded you're right it adds up--like a dollar a mile! And averaging about 60 works out to a dollar a minute.....definitely worth it! driving.gif
lotus_65
QUOTE(euro911 @ Aug 14 2012, 02:47 AM) *

Mine has a 9580 as well sad.gif

Hoping the Carb Clinic on the 25th. helps to get it dialed in. Ordering 32mm venturis and some additional sets of main jets today. I'll report back.

Let me know how it works out. I have a narrow band o2 sensor, but it's useless. I'd invest in a wide-band (I am now) first and maybe a couple cht's (1-per side).
Good luck!
euro911
QUOTE(Porschef @ Aug 13 2012, 12:11 PM) *
If you've got this arrangement, what are you getting for MPG's? Curious to see how you do.
I'm not hep to all of Raby's cams. Is the 9550 a carb cam, or an FI [compatible] cam?
Valy
QUOTE(euro911 @ Aug 15 2012, 08:57 AM) *

QUOTE(Porschef @ Aug 13 2012, 12:11 PM) *
I'm not hep to all of Raby's cams. Is the 9550 a carb cam, or an FI [compatible] cam?

It's the famous Webcam #73 + 5deg on exhaust to help keep heads temp down.
It's good for both stock FI and carbs, although you can use a cam with more overlap with the carbs.
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.