Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Converting from single carb to dual carbs..
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
billh1963
Came across a good deal on Dellorto DRLA 36's with linkages so i think I'll change the single carb over to duals before it goes back in the car. The car already has a low pressure fuel pump. I've seen many duals running oil breather kits...What else would I need?

IPB Image

wingnut86
Hmmm, you could use a set of early IDF 40s I have sitting in a box biggrin.gif

Even have the aluminum air filter housings...
Dave_Darling
From what I have read, the Dells have a better rep than Webers. Better transition behavior, and the Dell 36es supposedly flow about as well as a Weber 40.

--DD
vw505
That should be it. Clean them first.
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(wingnut86 @ Aug 13 2012, 08:57 PM) *

What would be the proper jet sizes for a stock 2.0 using the IDF 40s?
billh1963
QUOTE(wingnut86 @ Aug 13 2012, 09:57 PM) *

Had I known you had those I would have bought them! dry.gif

The Dellortos are on their way to me now.
SUNAB914
Good score!
billh1963
QUOTE(SUNAB914 @ Aug 14 2012, 08:03 AM) *

Good score!

I think so!
maf914
You will need a bracket to attach your throttle cable to. There have been some good threads about cable brackets in the past. Also a T-fitting for your fuel line with some extra fuel line to the two carbs.
zambezi
no t fitting needed. Dells have a built in splitter on one of the inlets of one carb.
billh1963
In the picture above, Is the splitter shown on the carb on the left?
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(SUNAB914 @ Aug 14 2012, 08:03 AM) *

Good score!

agree.gif beer.gif beerchug.gif

that is if you MUST go carb poke.gif
a much cheaper way to go - ask me how i know! dry.gif
if you dont have any injection parts definitely the fastest way to get a car on the road at a pretty good price.
-Chris your car was the first i had driven that was dual carbs and i was impressed at how well it ran and responded, after hearing all the boo hoo about the neg. of carbs, i really did not feel it- much biggrin.gif

way to go Bill.- you might get one of those 4 projects running yet poke.gif

billh1963
QUOTE(Philip W. @ Aug 16 2012, 08:16 AM) *

Blah...blah...blah.... biggrin.gif

Hate the game, not the player!!!!! happy11.gif
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Aug 16 2012, 08:23 AM) *

actually i am jealous you know i would rather have a couple 914 projects to do than be installing 1200 ft of hard wood floors, dry.gif

need any help? Orangeburg is on my way to columbia, maybe i could swing by this weekend if i go up. - i'm thinking of getting tickets for all the GAMECOCK games, this is my son Alek's senior year and we plan on going to as many as possible- - anyway let me know-
billh1963
QUOTE(Philip W. @ Aug 16 2012, 08:39 AM) *

QUOTE(billh1963 @ Aug 16 2012, 08:23 AM) *

actually i am jealous you know i would rather have a couple 914 projects to do than be installing 1200 ft of hard wood floors, dry.gif

need any help? Orangeburg is on my way to columbia, maybe i could swing by this weekend if i go up. - i'm thinking of getting tickets for all the GAMECOCK games, this is my son Alek's senior year and we plan on going to as many as possible- - anyway let me know-

You are always welocme to stop in to view the largest 914 junkyard in SC.. av-943.gif

Help is always appreciated. I'm sure I will have a challenge getting the carbs running right on the '76 after it gets installed.
DRPHIL914
quote: "Help is always appreciated. I'm sure I will have a challenge getting the carbs running right on the '76 after it gets installed."

I had dual webber carbs on my 69 healy, but that was 20 years ago, been a long time since i worked on any but i would be glad to assist!

- keep us posted on the project - i have not seen at tutorial type thread on carb installation , jetting and balancing - might be an idea --
cgnj
Hi,
Out of the box, the flowed better the webers because they shipped with bigger vents from CB Performance.

Why dells are better? Right and left handed castings, check the pns you will see they are different, so the throttle return springs are on the same side as the linkage on each carb. 5 progression ports mean better off idle response (Don't recall how many on the webber, just know it is less). Banjo (fuel splitter) can be moved from either carb.

Good score, I dont recall the vent size shipped on the 36's, I know it's bigger than 28.

Carlos
billh1963
QUOTE(cgnj @ Aug 16 2012, 04:43 PM) *

Hi,
Out of the box, the flowed better the webers because they shipped with bigger vents from CB Performance.

Why dells are better? Right and left handed castings, check the pns you will see they are different, so the throttle return springs are on the same side as the linkage on each carb. 5 progression ports mean better off idle response (Don't recall how many on the webber, just know it is less). Banjo (fuel splitter) can be moved from either carb.

Good score, I dont recall the vent size shipped on the 36's, I know it's bigger than 28.

Carlos

Thanks, Carlos.

I really was open to Webers or Dellortos. These came my way and I read up on them on 914 to see which way to go. The Dell's seemed to have some good press so I jumped on the deal. I think I did all right....four Dell 36's (two rebuilt a year ago), four manifolds, linkages, and 1 hex bar
IronHillRestorations
You might want to make sure you've got the right distributor, it can make a difference.
billh1963
QUOTE(9146986 @ Aug 16 2012, 08:27 PM) *

You might want to make sure you've got the right distributor, it can make a difference.

Good point...looks like a search is in order to make sure I have the right one!
cgnj
Hi,

Here is a link distributors for dummies

I currently run the mallory with vacum. Drawback is the distributor drive gear has to be re-indexed and the engine tin needs to be massaged. I keep a 050 in the glove box for emergencies.

Mallory with vacum or svda if you're willing to drill vacum ports.

I have run stock distributor with the vacum port plugged. The price is right.

Carlos
bandjoey
https://sites.google.com/site/stpsgarage/Te...etordisassembly

If you're not going to overhaul them first....know where the jets are and spray the heck out of them with B-12 and air before installation.

This pictoral should be in our classic thread! STP is a world member but he said he doesn't get online much.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.