Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What is the best, most cost effective fuel pump?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tornik550
I have killed a couple of carter inline fuel pumps. I am interested in getting a new low pressure fuel pump for dual carbs. What is the most cost effective and reliable system that I should get?
stugray
facet
DBCooper
Please, Lord, deliver us from Facet.

CB's rotary pump, quiet and at 3.5 lbs no need for a regulator. http://www.cbperformance.com/catalog.asp?ProductID=577
Elliot Cannon
agree.gif
stugray
my current build has a Holley 'red' pump with a pressure regulator (JEGS ~175$), but I ran for years (years ago) with the $20 facet.

Stu
aircooledtechguy
I too, am a huge fan of the CB Rotary pump. I've installed several and never had a failure yet. I've had one on my '66 bus since about '97...
tornik550
I guess I had better ask- just to make sure my pump is actually dead. If I hook up my pump directly to a good and fully charged battery- the pump runs for about 5 seconds. If I wait for a while, it will run for 5 seconds again if I retry. This is the same problem that I was having when the pump was hooked up to the car. Am I correct in stating that my pump is bad?
championgt1
QUOTE(tornik550 @ Aug 13 2012, 08:52 PM) *

I guess I had better ask- just to make sure my pump is actually dead. If I hook up my pump directly to a good and fully charged battery- the pump runs for about 5 seconds. If I wait for a while, it will run for 5 seconds again if I retry. This is the same problem that I was having when the pump was hooked up to the car. Am I correct in stating that my pump is bad?

It should run until the battery dies. Dead pump.
brant
the CB pump is a carter in line pump I believe...

one and the same....

Kirmizi
My question would be, "what is killing these pumps?"
Seems rather pointless to keep replacing pumps until you find the cause.
Mike
IronHillRestorations
Could it be possible you've got trash in the fuel system?
pilothyer
A few cars I have acquired over the years have had the fuel pump relocated to the front, however they left the fuel filter in it's original position. This puts the fuel filter in line after the pump and the pump is no longer protected by anything more than the fuel sock inside the tank.... which is not enough......The filter belongs in line before the pump regardless of it's location or type.
tornik550
QUOTE(Kirmizi @ Aug 14 2012, 01:22 AM) *

My question would be, "what is killing these pumps?"
Seems rather pointless to keep replacing pumps until you find the cause.
Mike

I am not certain about what is killing the pumps however I have a strong guess. My first pump was installed by the previous owner and was getting old- so it was time for it to go. My current pump was new 6 years ago - however my car had not been driven since so it sat for 6 years with the same gas in it. I am not overly surprised it died.
tornik550
QUOTE(9146986 @ Aug 14 2012, 01:40 AM) *

Could it be possible you've got trash in the fuel system?

Yes- very likely however I did have a filter in front of the pump. Is it possible to clean the inside of the pump? I spray a huge amount of brake cleaner into the pump but it didn't change anything.
rhodyguy
when you're testing the pump is it in or out of the car? are you pumping a fluid or running dry? also, is the large metal canister that the pumps come with still attached to the inlet of the pump?

k
tornik550
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Aug 14 2012, 09:26 AM) *

when you're testing the pump is it in or out of the car? are you pumping a fluid or running dry? also, is the large metal canister that the pumps come with still attached to the inlet of the pump?

k

I took the metal canister off for testing. I was not running the pump with fluid- I guess that I should since, from what I understand, it shuts off at low pressure. I will run it with fluid tonight. I really didn't think much of it cause it sounded the same as when I had it installed in the car. I suppose the same thing could have happened cause the canister was clogged causing it to shut off due to low pressure?
rhodyguy
the canister is a fuel filter. when you do the next test leave it on. just run the fuel into a gas can with a long piece of fuel line connected after the tee and see if the flow slows down. when new, the pump/filter come with squeeze clamps that make it a pain to change. after the test toss it and try a stock fi filter installed prior to the pump.

k
monkeyboy
Also make sure the wiring to the fuel pump is adequate. They will destroy themselves if the wiring isn't a big enough gauge.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.