Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Vapor lock?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mrholland2
Okay, first off-I have driven my car with a partial tank of gas with it hotter than today. (Electric fuel pump--fairly new. . single carb)

Today at about 5:15 pm, I filled the tank, drove 10 miles and stopped to get the mail. Re started the car and drove 10 feet. . it died. Managed to get it to off and on to sort of run the 150 yards to get it home.

We also have ALOT of wildfire smoke in the air.

Thoughts and suggestions?
mrholland2
Follow up. . . 915 pm, turned on the key, waited for 10 seconds, fired right up and idled for a decent amount of time.

confused24.gif
Dave_Darling
Where is the pump located?

Did you have fuel pressure? Did you have fuel in the float bowls? Did you have power and ground to the pump?

--DD
mrholland2
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Aug 13 2012, 09:32 PM) *

Where is the pump located?

Did you have fuel pressure? Did you have fuel in the float bowls? Did you have power and ground to the pump?

--DD

The pump is located on the brace just to the rear of the battery.

No, the Fuel in the bowls was burned and the car died. It has fuel now

Yes, the pump works great NOW. . I'm just wanting to avoid a repeat tomorrow. . I drive the car every day I can
rhodyguy
the in the engine compartment pump location is not ideal. pretty warm if not hot area. it's also a long uphill pull for the pump before it starts pushing. keeping the pump below the tank outlet lets gravity do some of the work.

k
SUNAB914
Could be a simple short in the fuel pump wiring.
mrholland2
QUOTE(SUNAB914 @ Aug 14 2012, 07:06 AM) *

Could be a simple short in the fuel pump wiring.

This was definitely not electrical.
mrholland2
Well, it did it again. Does that heat wrap stuff work?
Mike Bellis
Relocate it to the front trunk or under the tank. This will solve the problem. This is what the factory did.

Another option is a fuel regulator with a bypass to the return line. This will flush cool fuel through the lines and back to the tank. Thus filling the bowls.

Fuel pumps start to cavitate with air (vapor) in the lines. When it cavitates, it will not pull enough vacuum to draw the fuel from the tank. The only way to get the vapor out of the sealed system is through the carbs. This takes time, most people just wait for it to cool down. The fuel will re-condense and turn into liquid.
mrholland2
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Aug 14 2012, 10:09 PM) *

Relocate it to the front trunk or under the tank. This will solve the problem. This is what the factory did.

Another option is a fuel regulator with a bypass to the return line. This will flush cool fuel through the lines and back to the tank. Thus filling the bowls.

Fuel pumps start to cavitate with air (vapor) in the lines. When it cavitates, it will not pull enough vacuum to draw the fuel from the tank. The only way to get the vapor out of the sealed system is through the carbs. This takes time, most people just wait for it to cool down. The fuel will re-condense and turn into liquid.

Do I have to remove the tank to do this?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.