Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The 901 lives,
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
J P Stein
Go figure.........
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pB0fTcTHkg4...eature=youtu.be

BTW, a multi-time Nat champ, Evo instructor, nice guy, also drove the car at this event in the normal rotation.... A second back from Brit. Eat shit, Grant.
cary
I was the ugly ass starter.

This was my first time seeing the car in action.
That launch control is wicked.
J P Stein
Nirvana is 2ea, 12 inch wide black streaks on the asphalt. wub.gif
URY914
Shit!
drgchapman
My first thought watching that burn out was the little 901 that could....
Car looks effing fast. Brit left the field in his warp wake. I concur with the eat shit comment.
J P Stein
There is gonna come a time, me thinks, when one of thse launches is going scramble the bits......the only question is will the bits be still inside the case.
But hay, he's already gotten his money's worth....as did I. A couple cracked intermediate plate roller cages is all that ever went wrong with it and they were discovered when the trans was torn down for rework. I wonder how much wind-up takes place on that mainshaft. I'd bet it's close to a full turn. blink.gif

Is the 901 tough? You decide.
Randal
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Aug 14 2012, 03:20 PM) *

There is gonna come a time, me thinks, when one of thse launches is going scramble the bits......the only question is will the bits be still inside the case.
But hay, he's already gotten his money's worth....as did I. A couple cracked intermediate plate roller cages is all that ever went wrong with it and they were discovered when the trans was torn down for rework. I wonder how much wind-up takes place on that mainshaft. I'd bet it's close to a full turn. blink.gif

Is the 901 tough? You decide.

Matt Lowrance, a great mechanic, said the 901 would work up to about 250hp on track cars. Let's see, Britain is about 325hp , at the wheels, but a revised 901 configuration running AX. So tough to reach a conclusion other than JP build a great box. biggrin.gif
brant
I cracked another bearing retaining plate a week ago on my 901

I'm adding cooling at this point.
but yes they are TOUGH!

it was 141F on the ground at the event, and we were double driving the car with extra long run sessions (30 minutes each back to back)

I'm shifting to first gear (F gearing in 1st) on 2 corners per a lap.... yes I know people say you can't do that.

J P Stein
My 901 would take a downshift into 1st(several different gear sets) at what ever RPMs one had the guts for with no grinding & just a slight hesitation to let the syncros catch up.
I didn't build the box, BTW, Gordon Ledbetter did that......lessee.....14 years ago.
The last I saw it, the first gear slider & dogteeth (no longer used) were perfect.

Here's a pic of the current gear stack.....we played with it some.
Woody
That thing is insane. Was that a second gear launch?
Randal
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Aug 14 2012, 05:33 PM) *

My 901 would take a downshift into 1st(several different gear sets) at what ever RPMs one had the guts for with no grinding & just a slight hesitation to let the syncros catch up.

Reminds me of the 901 that Tom Amon put together for The Beast. The perfect shifter: matching the revs it would go from the top of 4th right into 1st (going for 3rd).

And when the clutch came out the car would rotate just like a top. huh.gif

Not recommended going into 11 at Infineon.

Built a first lockout after that exercise.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.