Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Another Exhaust Gasket Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
able2222
Replacing the copper exhaust gaskets on a 1.7 with a stock exhaust system, can't seem to get the old gaskets out of the recess area in the head. I'm trying to be careful not to scratch or gouge the sealing surface. Is there a trick to it or a particular tool to use? I seem to remember reading somewhere that you "pinch" them to get them out, can't figure that one out at all... If/when I get them out do you use heavy gease to hold the new ones in place while fitting the exhaust pipes back into the heads? Thanks for your responses.
SLITS
Dental pick or HF set of picks.

I use a light coat of most anything that's sticky, i.e. gasket sealer ....
reharvey
QUOTE(SLITS @ Aug 14 2012, 08:59 AM) *

agree.gif
Bartlett 914
If none of the other suggestions work, you can drill a small hole along the side. Don't go all the was through the copper. Use one side of a snap ring pliers and deform the gasket toward the middle.

QUOTE(reharvey @ Aug 14 2012, 08:12 AM) *

QUOTE(SLITS @ Aug 14 2012, 08:59 AM) *

agree.gif

914Mels
What works great is a small pry bar called a ladies foot. I got mine off a tool truck but I would guess Harbor Freight would sell them also. The pry bar is about 12 inches long with a 1/4 moon pry end on it that looks like a foot. It fits nicely in the exaust port to pry out the ring.
able2222
Update...got them out using a cheapie HF cotter key puller (looks like a bent scarch awl). The HF tool has a 90 degree bend far enough back so you can get leverage against the opposite side of the exhaust port. I had to file the tip flat so it would just catch the upper edge of the exhaust gasket, it took a while because someone (maybe me, I don't remember) used gasket sealer to keep the gasket in place and it pretty much acted like glue after 20 years. Anyway, thanks for the suggestions.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.