Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wanted
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WANTED: 914 Cars and Rollers
wildone33jh
I am looking for a 914 for my teenage son for his first car. My husband and I think it would be a perfect first car for a boy that loves Porsches. My husband has been a Porsche owner for over 35 years and is familiar with how to work on them. My husband is not afraid of a little rust or some welding that may need to be done. we live in the Dallas/Fort Worth area and have a car trailer if needed. We have no problem coming to pick it up if the price is right. Feel free to email me back or text me only at 817-915-4458.
rjames
Check the sale/wanted section here for cars and also craigs list. Come back here for advice before you buy.

My son's first car will be something safer than a 914. Something larger and with airbags, but to each his/her own.
Good luck!
RFoulds
What is your price range? I broker 914's as well as other Porsches for a fee, but for a student I will find one for free. Email me at randyfoulds@hotmail.com.

Warning. Depending on his age, the first thing I will do is try to talk you out of it.
wildone33jh
QUOTE(RFoulds @ Aug 14 2012, 12:34 PM) *

What is your price range? I broker 914's as well as other Porsches for a fee, but for a student I will find one for free. Email me at randyfoulds@hotmail.com.

Warning. Depending on his age, the first thing I will do is try to talk you out of it.

I know what you mean about safer though my first car was a 67 GTO and second was a 914. This is his dad.... We are looking for a car to work on together, he is 14 so I intend to try and teach him how to work on cars. It would be nice to find one with a running engine though body condision is not really important. I tig weld so cutting out rust and replacing panels is doable. I have rebuilt 901 engines so the transporter engine shouldn't be too tough. I have been working on Porsches for 30 years and currently have a 69 911 and a 80 911 targa......

Thanks
Brandon sr....
wildone33jh
QUOTE(wildone33jh @ Aug 14 2012, 01:03 PM) *

QUOTE(RFoulds @ Aug 14 2012, 12:34 PM) *

I know what you mean about safer though my first car was a 67 GTO and second was a 914. This is his dad.... We are looking for a car to work on together, he is 14 so I intend to try and teach him how to work on cars. It would be nice to find one with a running engine though body condision is not really important. I tig weld so cutting out rust and replacing panels is doable. I have rebuilt 901 engines so the transporter engine shouldn't be too tough. I have been working on Porsches for 30 years and currently have a 69 911 and a 80 911 targa......

Thanks
Brandon sr....

I forgot to post the price range. We were looking for something in the $2000 dollar range. Since this is a project car to learn on we do not want to start with a lot of money smile.gif
URY914
"....transporter engine..." biggrin.gif
rnellums
914 was my first car that I bought when I was 14 and I loved it. Learned a ton. Of course I didn't actually get to really DRIVE it until 19...
boxstr
I currently have a 1975 914 1.8 project runner and driver 914 for sale at $1450.
I am a licensed dealer in Oregon at CAMP 914 in Oregon City.
This car is ready for paint and assembly. It has all of the parts to put back together.
Also, many other new parts are included.
77,000 miles new calipers and rotors, new braided brake lines.And 911 master cylinder.New exhaust.
This car runs and drives, stock FI. Rust issues have already been addressed.
I have not posted this on the Cars for sale yet.
bryanf
I have a '75 2.0 that has been a daily driver in my family (first me, then 3 kids, now me again) for the last 18yrs. I've tried to keep up with the maintenance over the years so it generally drives well. I currently drive it about 50miles a day with excellent reliability. It has lots of good stuff--very nice interior (redone a couple years ago) with a perfect dash-cap new seat upholstery, center console. Slightly tuned 2.0 (higher compression and cam), dual 40idf webers. Fake fuchs with 3 almost new tires (and one not so good). It really just needs someone to put a little time into it to have a very nice driver. Unfortunately I don't have the time.

Here are the problems--cowl rust (it is a california car but I lived on the coast for 16 years. Broken clutch tube (currently jury-rigged so drivable), needs new battery bracket (it has a sealed optima, but old rust--the hell hole should be in good shape I have been cleaning it out every couple years and re-paint with rattle can to protect it). Engine needs a little attention (I would pull it, replace the pushrod tubes and seals, replace crank vent with a better one, etc). Transmission shifts smoothly, but is original and probably has >300k miles on it so you have to be gentle. It has Various dents and dings from being in a high-school parking and driven by teens.

I'm not too worried about the selling price--it has been very good to us. I would love to see someone keep it on the road...

PM me if you are interested.

IronHillRestorations
My standard 914 buyer's advice is: 9 times out of 10 you are better to spend more on the front end.

914's are no cheaper to restore than a 911 when it comes to sheet metal repair, maybe even more costly. So getting a good solid chassis with the least amount of rust, is more important than getting a pretty one with hidden cancer.
stuttgart46
Best of luck to your son. My first car was a 914 and I loved it. It taught me a lot. I would not talk him or you out of it at all. You know your son better than anybody. If you think he can take on the responsibility then go for it. And tell him to join the Club. We'll all help him out as much as we can.
billh1963
QUOTE(9146986 @ Aug 16 2012, 08:53 PM) *

My standard 914 buyer's advice is: 9 times out of 10 you are better to spend more on the front end.

914's are no cheaper to restore than a 911 when it comes to sheet metal repair, maybe even more costly. So getting a good solid chassis with the least amount of rust, is more important than getting a pretty one with hidden cancer.

Amen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.