Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A Question of access....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
MikeM
Hi all...
When you guys replace pushrod tube seals, do you usually drop the motor or do it with the motor in the car?
Wondering if there is room...stock 2.0 liter with heat exchangers...
Thanks,
Mike
ThePaintedMan
Oooh... a 2.0, I wouldn't know for sure. But on my 1.7, it was pretty easy to do with the engine in the car. Didn't even need to loosen the engine mounts. On some of the tubes, you will need to remove the pushrod first, or remove the tube part way, then remove the pushrod to gain enough clearance to get the tube out all the way. It helped me immensely to clean the engine well first to keep the amount of grit down and out of the sealing area.
URY914
Getting things clean and keep it clean throughout the seal change out process is very important. You don't need (and can't) remove the tube completely from the engine but you can still change the seals.
ThePaintedMan
QUOTE(URY914 @ Aug 14 2012, 04:39 PM) *

Getting things clean and keep it clean throughout the seal change out process is very important. You don't need (and can't) remove the tube completely from the engine but you can still change the seals.

Paul, is that for 2.0s or all engines? I was able to remove all of my tubes completely. Like I said, I needed to fanagle them, but I did get them all the way out. Again, not completely necessary but it allowed me to get them really clean before reinstallation.
Dave_Darling
In the car, for any of the four-cylinder motors. It may be tougher with the 75-76 heat exchangers, but I think it's still doable. You can maneuver the tubes all the way out, but you don't have to. You can leave the tube hanging by its middle through the head, and replace the seals.

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.