Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is there a difference in 914 transmissions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Lingcuisine
I know that there are tail shift and side shift trnsmissions, but is there a difference in 2.0,1.8. or1.7. will any transmission fit any engine?
Thanks Jeff
Rand
QUOTE(Lingcuisine @ Aug 14 2012, 01:14 PM) *

I know that there are tail shift and side shift trnsmissions, but is there a difference in 2.0,1.8. or1.7. will any transmission fit any engine?
Thanks Jeff

They all fit at the engine. The only compatibility issue is the shifter, linkage, and front engine mount bar have to match the side/tail shift.

GeorgeRud
Any transmission will bolt up to any engine, though there are differences in the linkage and motor mounts between the early and the late side shift transmissions.

The gearing and shift linkage for the 914-6 were unique to that model, but any transmission can be adapted. I switched my -6 to a side shifter transmission for the better linkage feel, and it was an easy conversion.
Lingcuisine
Will a 1974 1.8 transmission work in a 1975 2.0?
Thanks Jeff
Richard Casto
QUOTE(Lingcuisine @ Aug 14 2012, 05:09 PM) *

Will a 1974 1.8 transmission work in a 1975 2.0?
Thanks Jeff

Yes, between 74 and 75 the transmissions are effectively identical. Both are sideshift, same gearing, etc. The only difference you would find is in the serial numbers (one would decode to 1974 and the other to 1975.

Richard
messix
The exhaust braket that bolts on to the tranny is different on the 74 so keep that to use on the 75 tranny
Lingcuisine
Thanks that what I needed to know
maf914
QUOTE(messix @ Aug 14 2012, 05:08 PM) *

The exhaust braket that bolts on to the tranny is different on the 74 so keep that to use on the 75 tranny

Yes, keep the exhaust brackets for both. Which one you use will depend on whether you're using the 74 or 75 style exhaust system.
bigkensteele
Is the gearing the same across all 4 cylinder cars?
Cupomeat
QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Aug 15 2012, 10:50 PM) *

Is the gearing the same across all 4 cylinder cars?

Yes, all 4 cyl cars came from the factory with the same gearing.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.