Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: points replacement options
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
brant
This is all for an early 911 motor with and ancient 1967- 2 piece points distributor.
I was intending to run a pertronix ignitor points replacemnt in it, but found out last night that it doesn't fit.....

so now I'm re-educating and re-shopping...

I run a crane in a different car and see that they do make a model to fit this dinasaur....
but my first question:

-Does an inline resistor prior to a coil, ultimately hurt the strength of the spark put out from the coil?

next question: I'm running an MSD box and their blaster coil, but want to replace the points...
-Does MSD make a points replacement now?

anybody know what other racers are using to replace points... specifically other racers with these ancient/small 2.0/6 vintage motors?

tia
brant
Joe Bob
Check with Summit racing.....Crane optical units that repalce the points will work with most CDI boxes. BTW....you MAY need a tach adapter for the stock P-car tach. I went with an aftermarket tach on Frank and it workied withOUT the adapater.
Cap'n Krusty
I run a Crane Allison XR 700on my '65 911, and like it alot. I don't use a conventional Pcar CDI, just the Crane box, and have no more plug fouling problems ... Price is right. The Cap'n
ein 6er
brant,

i'm been running the crane xr 700 on the '67 2.0 in my 914 for about 2 years now with no problems with it. i'm useing the stock cdi to trigger the crane box and i didn't need a tach adapter.

if you use the right shutter wheel, you don't need to remove the points mounting post .......... like i did. headbang.gif
brant
thanks fellas...

I'm fairly ignorant, but in theory what do you guys know about the thought I had regarding the resistor..(yes really a different question)

looks like I'll probably go with the crane agian then.

brant
SLITS
Ran the Crane Allison on the race cars without a resistor and came up with two problems:

1. The spark was so "hot" it disintegerated the cap center electrode, but the spark would still jump from the cap to the rotor biggrin.gif

2. The spark was so brilliant, it would trigger the LED smoke.gif or was it the spark jumping around inside causing the misfire?

Yea, I put the resistor in line to drop the voltage to the coil to 9V. No problems after that and no fouled plugs.
brant
ohh...

good input, I hadn't even considered the too much power idea..

brant
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.