Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is the black box in the alternator needed?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tornik550
What does the black box in the alternator do and is it needed? I have heard several times that it dampens interference with the radio. I do not have a radio so do I need the black box?
timothy_nd28
Not needed, its the 2nd part of a LC circuit to change and alter frequency's.
Tom
Yes it is needed. I believe I mentioned this before on another thread. It is used to dampen out the ac component on the DC after it has been rectified from the AC the alternator puts out to the DC the battery needs for charging. Typically an alternator voltage rectified to DC has up to 10% ac component before being filtered. Ie, without the filter, you may have as much as 1.3 volts ac component superimposed on the DC level, also known as ripple. Not good for electronics and definitely bad for stereos.
Tom
SLITS
Damn, and all these years I have run without them.
timothy_nd28
The 10 percent ripple AC current seems abit high, it's possible one of your 6 diodes were faulty.
SLITS
Anyway, found it on AA's site ... 021 903 295 Suppressor Condenser ... $11.80 ea
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(SLITS @ Aug 15 2012, 04:05 PM) *

And just look at you. THAT should be a lesson for all of us. Talk about an electrical "short"!

The Cap'n
tornik550
QUOTE(SLITS @ Aug 15 2012, 07:45 PM) *

Anyway, found it on AA's site ... 021 903 295 Suppressor Condenser ... $11.80 ea

I tried. They are nla.

Can a faulty black box cause a fire on the starter to alt wire?
timothy_nd28
Yes, capacitors are the weakest link of any electrical component. The dieletric often degrades over time, and these can short out to gnd.
SLITS
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Aug 15 2012, 04:47 PM) *

And just look at you. THAT should be a lesson for all of us. Talk about an electrical "short"!

The Cap'n

Nice shot admidships my friend evilgrin.gif
KELTY360
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Aug 15 2012, 04:47 PM) *

The Cap'n

av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif lol-2.gif lol-2.gif
tornik550
Is there a way to test the "black box"
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(tornik550 @ Aug 15 2012, 06:19 PM) *

Is there a way to test the "black box"

With an LC meter if you know the correct Farads it should be.
brant
I've been missing John around there.
I hope you were on vacation or something good

Nice come back!

b
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(brant @ Aug 15 2012, 08:51 PM) *

Nice come back!

b

Thanks! I'm dealing with moving my parents to a site much closer, and am hoping to the the 400 mile round trip each week, as well as the frequent 4 day weekends and no internet services. This has been going on, with increasing frequency, for nearly 2 years, and Lyn, I, and my 2 sisters are physically and emotionally as beat up as we can stand. Couple more weeks, and I'll be back to the old equal opportunity harrasser you know and love.

The Cap'n
brant
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Aug 15 2012, 10:22 PM) *

QUOTE(brant @ Aug 15 2012, 08:51 PM) *

Nice come back!

b

Thanks! I'm dealing with moving my parents to a site much closer, and am hoping to the the 400 mile round trip each week, as well as the frequent 4 day weekends and no internet services. This has been going on, with increasing frequency, for nearly 2 years, and Lyn, I, and my 2 sisters are physically and emotionally as beat up as we can stand. Couple more weeks, and I'll be back to the old equal opportunity harrasser you know and love.

The Cap'n

wow...that is tough
I can't imagine
if there is anything I can do

hang in there

brant
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.