Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What is this sensor
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
turk22
All,

I have this sensor on that passenger side of the engine, but in following the lead, it is not connected to anything. I thought it may be the CHT, but if it was disconnected the car wouldn't run...right? (Car runs well...)

Click to view attachment

Black22
It looks like the CHT to me. Car is probably running rich, and it likes it!
CG-914
QUOTE(Black22 @ Aug 15 2012, 10:53 PM) *

It looks like the CHT to me. Car is probably running rich, and it likes it!

agree.gif it is the cylinder temperature sensor.
It is an major part of your D-Jet. Hook it up and go from there!
It will improve your mpg!
turk22
Wow, I thought I had read in other threads that the car wouldn't even run if that was disconnected?

Does anyone have a picture of where is connects at?

Haven't had much luck searching for it...

thx, Turk
Dave_Darling
The stock CHT should be under a hole that is just out of sight in that picture. The thin black wire that crosses the spark plug connector looks like it is going to the stock sender.

The arrowed sender could be a CHT on a spacer. It isn't original to the 914; if it is the setup on the spacer I think it is a Bus part.

If the original CHT is connected, the one in your picture is not really needed.

If no CHT sender is connected at all, the engine will run very rich. Usually rich enough to not run at all, but there are exceptions. Especially if other things have been adjusted to make the mixture very lean.

The stock sender wire runs to a thin rectangular plastic box connector, on a wire that goes into the FI wiring harness right near there.

--DD
McMark
That picture kinda looks like you have two installed. Is there a wire coming out from a hole next to the spark plug there?
turk22
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Aug 16 2012, 12:59 AM) *

The stock CHT should be under a hole that is just out of sight in that picture. The thin black wire that crosses the spark plug connector looks like it is going to the stock sender.

The arrowed sender could be a CHT on a spacer. It isn't original to the 914; if it is the setup on the spacer I think it is a Bus part.

If the original CHT is connected, the one in your picture is not really needed.

If no CHT sender is connected at all, the engine will run very rich. Usually rich enough to not run at all, but there are exceptions. Especially if other things have been adjusted to make the mixture very lean.

The stock sender wire runs to a thin rectangular plastic box connector, on a wire that goes into the FI wiring harness right near there.

--DD

QUOTE(McMark @ Aug 16 2012, 12:13 PM) *

That picture kinda looks like you have two installed. Is there a wire coming out from a hole next to the spark plug there?

I think your both right, there is that other wire, coming from behind the Manifold tube, that runs thru a hole in the tin. It does appear to be connected, so I'll trace it and see where it goes.
If I'm hearing you guys right, this sensor may be an add on by PO, that may be redundant?
McMark
If that's true, the one you can see is irrelevant. Leave it, remove it, whatever floats yer boat.
CG-914
I thought it was a wired spot dry.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.