Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: how much does your conversion weigh?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
scourge
I don't have access to scales ATM and am trying to determine preliminary spring rates for my car. I figure once I have the car back on the road I'll take it to a pro to get corner weights for the final springs and tuning. For the time being I need the new shocks to complete fabrication and road test.

I have tube framed the front and rear with 1.5 x .120 wall DOM.
I've cut out all the sheet metal rear of the sail and made a fiberglass clamshell for the back.
Swapped in a NA Subaru 4 and a Subie 5spd trans. Radiator is in the front.

This is probaly a ridiculous approach but if anyone has knowledge of the weights for anything close to what I've done I'd appreciate hearing about it. I figure if enough people chim in with what they know I can extrapolate a number that's close enough to get me mobile and through final fabrication.

Oh, and yes I've read about the 2x6 and bathroom scale trick. Sounds like a PITA, especially considering my car is not a roller at the moment. Sounds like a lot of room for error too.

Thanks for any help advice.
JoeSharp
I weighed Tony's AKA VW. And you would never guess. It was the lightest 914 I had wieghed untill I weighed Carerror.
1888 pounds. Tony has the ballence sheet. So I can't tell you how it came out.
Howards car Suzie was next at 1911 lbs.
JRust
MY v8 buick 215 conversion is just under 2200lbs. That is a stock 914 except for the conversion. I would be you are in the 2-2100lb range
SLITS
I don't know, but it's fast enough to get in real trouble.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.