Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wheel bearing question...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
MikeM
Hi all...
Is it possible that a rear wheel bearing that has no play, and makes no noise,
could still be bad?
STILL chasing a vibration/shimmy and I'm runninmg out of options.
Thanks,
Mike
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(MikeM @ Aug 16 2012, 01:55 PM) *

Hi all...
Is it possible that a rear wheel bearing that has no play, and makes no noise,
could still be bad?
STILL chasing a vibration/shimmy and I'm runninmg out of options.
Thanks,
Mike

Sounds like a bad tire or an alignment problem. Could also be the wheel is not running true. Measure the wheel runout
MikeM
Yup...I've done all that. Wheels and tires are good and the thing shimmies when up on a hoist, so I've been chasing something in the back end. Also I've done cv joints,rotors and pads,venting clearance, one wheel bearing,even swapped the transmission....no difference. Just came back from a "on the car" wheel balance, no difference.
Anyone want to buy an LE??? I'm almost there....
Mike
Jeffs9146
QUOTE(MikeM @ Aug 16 2012, 12:10 PM) *

Yup...I've done all that. Wheels and tires are good and the thing shimmies when up on a hoist, so I've been chasing something in the back end. Also I've done cv joints,rotors and pads,venting clearance, one wheel bearing,even swapped the transmission....no difference. Just came back from a "on the car" wheel balance, no difference.
Anyone want to buy an LE??? I'm almost there....
Mike

Drop the trailing arm and look at the hole in the mounting ear!!

They can get ovaled out!
Mike Bellis
Could be a bent stub axle. Put it on a dynometer and watch it roll under controlled conditions. I found a bent axle this very way by accident.
MikeM
Good suggestions...
MikeM
How common is the wallowed out suspension ear?
And what is the fix?
Mike
stugray
Drop the trailing arm and look at the hole in the mounting ear!!

Or check to make sure that the ear is not completely broken:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=113186

IPB Image

Stu
Jeffs9146
QUOTE(MikeM @ Aug 16 2012, 02:42 PM) *

How common is the wallowed out suspension ear?
And what is the fix?
Mike

If it is not cracked like above then it can happen on any car that is driven very hard, slid off the road hard or bolt not torqued to the proper setting!

The repair is very easy if you are a welder! I did mine in about 20 minutes. I welded the bottom ovaled edge and after grinding the weld flat I used a unibit to round it out again!

MikeM
Nice repair Jeff....
Jeffs9146
Thanks mine looked just like these but I borrowed the photos from someone about 10 years ago when I had my problem!! beer.gif
MikeM
Jeff....what problem were you having that made you loook at this as the repair?
Mike
Jeffs9146
It would clunk when I turned going slow. I never drove it fast before I repaired it so I don't know if it would have shimmied! I was going to pull everything appart and powder coat it anyway so it just added a step in the process!

You should be able to check it by removing the inside bolt and looking from the back side! I would think you would be able to see it from there!
MikeM
Jeff...I don't think I understand. Remove the inside bolt and look from the backside?
Won't it still be attached to the ear?
Mike
Jeffs9146
You will have the end of the bar threads sticking out and you should be able to see if the hole is ovaled! You may need a mirror and a flashlight!
MikeM
Ahhh....OK, got it. Thanks.
MikeM
Bump...
Spoke
QUOTE(MikeM @ Aug 17 2012, 11:03 AM) *

Bump...

I think the guys want you to check the bolts on the rear swing arm and the condition of the inner ear. This ear and bolt takes all the stress of acceleration and deacceleration of the rear tires if the bolt is loose or ear is cracked/weak, this could lead to vibrations.

Have you checked the toe alignment of the rear end? You can do this with the string method at home.
MikeM
Spoke...I agree I'll have to check the trailing arms for wear. The car is solid and there is no play there at all,if that means anything. I had the car aligned last summer. I'll check to see what the rear toe specs were at the time.
Thanks,
Mike
Jeffs9146
I had a flat spot on one of my tires that caused a shimmy! confused24.gif
MikeM
I've tried 2 different sets of tires and wheels...
Bartlett 914
Did you ever measure the wheel runout? I know you changed wheels, but I still suggest you make a measurement. Use a dial indicator or at the very least, raise a wheel so you can spin it. Use a straight edge of some sort and hold it very close to the rim. Rotate the wheel to see how much it runs out (if any). While it is up, Wiggle it. Top to bottom and side to side. You shouldn't have any movement.
Als914
The rear rotors are not hub-centric like the front rotors. When mounting rear wheels you can be as much as 1/16" off center. I chased the same problem for weeks and it always seemed to to be around 60mph. Tangerine Racing sells centering rings for the rear hubs that makes the off-center vibration go away. My rear runs out smooth since I installed a set...just another variable to consider.
MikeM
Thanks for the replies....I have the Tangerine centering rings.
I have had the rotors checked for runout...all good. I think they check wheel and tire runout on those Road Force balancers, which I've done many times.
Also, today I looked the hole in the suspension ear as Jeff suggested.
They are perfectly round holes with no signs of wallowing, and no play at all.
Not sure where to go from here....
Mike
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(MikeM @ Aug 17 2012, 04:20 PM) *

Thanks for the replies....I have the Tangerine centering rings.
I have had the rotors checked for runout...all good. I think they check wheel and tire runout on those Road Force balancers, which I've done many times.
Also, today I looked the hole in the suspension ear as Jeff suggested.
They are perfectly round holes with no signs of wallowing, and no play at all.
Not sure where to go from here....
Mike

Just trade me the car for Christine,, she doesn't shimmy at any speed.
MikeM
"about to break in half from rust"....and still doesn't shimmy????
LOL
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.