Ok, you engine builders, I have had my 74 2.0L for a little over a year now and I'm
starting to make a game plan for an engine rebuild. The engine has a mushroomed lifter and with fall/winter approaching quickly, I'd like to pull the engine and figure
out what to do with it. It does run fairly well most of the time, even with the lifter
problem but I'm not inclined to keep running it knowing the end result. SO, my
strategy at this point is to build another stock 2.0L from a used short block and if I enjoy my engine building experience, perhaps I will make a 2056 or ? from the one that I pull from the car.
I've spent some time this week looking through threads here and wanting to know what bearings you guys suggest to use nowadays? Are the Mahle bearings still good to use? I keep coming across statements about bearings not being good quality, etc.
and want to get opinions of people who've built engines recently. A lot of the threads
I've seen are 2 or 3 years old and parts quality seems to change rapidly.
I would like to do as much of the rebuild process myself as possible but at this point am unsure about much of the process. I've got books and Jake's video so I know from reading and his video how it works and it's looks pretty straightforward to me.
I'm a little nervous about doing it; I've not even dropped my engine but I figure
I've done other things on the car such as adjust valves, replace exhaust, new starter,
etc and it's all been pretty easy going.....why not learn about the engine too!
So, anyway, I'm working on a list and I'm attempting to stay organized and make smart decisions. Any thoughts about parts quality? Brands to stay away from?
Obviously, I'm not concerning myself with performance mods now but want an engine that runs well in the stock vein for now. Thanks - Jon