Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Overfilling with Oil Issues
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
lennyhope
If I overfill my 1.7 with oil, by accident, will it throw it out etc....? What will happen? as I have developed an oil leak that is dropping some oil on the manifold/s. Only done a mile in it since overfill....Thoughts?
Dr Evil
How much excess? A lot can ruin major parts in the engine. Blown seals are common. You need to remove the excess from the drain before you run it again.
lennyhope
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Aug 17 2012, 08:36 PM) *

How much excess? A lot can ruin major parts in the engine. Blown seals are common. You need to remove the excess from the drain before you run it again.

...by about half a litre.....

Would excess come out of the engine? If so, where from?
eric9144
Half a litre should be no issue...
Ian Stott
I've had mine overfilled by almost a litre and no problems, I have a bit of an oil leak anyway so I knew it would lose some oil, but I had no problems. Mind you I didn't rev her to the redline either! I'm sure if you did you could have a problem, but if your concerned just drain a bit out and motor on.

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
Drums66
.......I 2nd this, alot of racer's do this(overfill)......
brant
a half a liter is only about a half quart
not too much

a lot of people run these cars slightly over full to give them volume and more importantly prevent starvation in the corners on a stock oil pick up

a half liter is probably about 1cm over the full line. Maybe a tiny bit more.

how far over the full line are you on the dipstick?

you might be just fine to run it if your not too far over the full line on the dipstick.

Madswede
Is the point of the original question slightly hidden here? What I mean is, to the original poster, are you asking because you've got an oil leak on the engine and are trying to find out if it's due to overfilling by a half liter (probably not) or due to something else (probably)?

confused24.gif I'm not sayin' - just guessing.
ConeDodger
I always keep mine a half quart high. No cornering oil starvation issues for me!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.