Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: I was laid off at 11am today...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
montoya 73 2.0
After all these years of 3D designing and drafting, My position was eliminated this morning. It was a mandatory 10% cut off the top which was demanded by the parent company (Them darn Canucks!). This has actually dragged on for a year. Not knowing if I was going to be employed from one day to the next was stressful, Even though I knew for the last week that this cut was coming. Still kind of surprised in a way. But Its over now so on to a new beginning right?

I want to stay here in Southern Oregon but If I have to re-locate I will. Wish me luck.

McMark (Mark) I won't be dropping off the Teener to you next week. Give me a call, You should have my number.

The "World" has been one of a few constants for the last few years which has been good for me and my soul. Thank you for the site and for the frienship.

Now it's time for me to start networking and finding a job. I guess this means less time here on the site and more time in the real world. confused24.gif See you all soon, I won't be away for too long I hope.

CHEERS! beer.gif
76-914
Good luck and best wishes during your re jobbing. May I recommend large quatities of alcohol this evening. beerchug.gif
Dave_Darling
Good luck! I've been through it twice so far, sucked both times. The second time, I had my s**t in order much more quickly and found a new job pretty quickly.

They just folded up my part of my employer yesterday. Thankfully they didn't decide to just lay everyone off (as they've done with other parts of the company in the past). But some time soon, they'll tell us what we're actually supposed to do from here on out.

--DD
montoya 73 2.0
QUOTE(76-914 @ Aug 17 2012, 05:04 PM) *

Good luck and best wishes during your re jobbing. May I recommend large quatities of alcohol this evening. beerchug.gif

Oh yeah. I will hang out with E-L-L-I-O-T tonight!

Click to view attachment

beerchug.gif av-943.gif
wingnut86
Take a few weeks off to think, relax and recharge. Then get busy looking...

You'll be great with some decompression time 1st...
greenie
Drew,

I've been there myself.

Do not hit the panic button, don't take the first thing that comes around, don't sell yourself short.

Get the unemployment checks going, take a couple of months off, polish up the resume.

A quality guy like yourself will bounce back fast.

Curt
montoya 73 2.0
You know, I have been working full time since I was 18 years old (1988). Never once took unemployment, in those 24 years. I think I will see what life has to throw at me after a few weeks of rest and relaxation if my wife will allow it! I doubt it but I will give it a shot.

I may think about changing my profession, Does anyone know how going to school for a auto mechanic or whatever its called these days is? Maybe for Porsche or VW?
Katmanken
Good luck,

Riding a company down is no fun. I worked for one that felt there was always 15% fat, and got nailed in the 10th round of layoffs. blink.gif

Take a week or two off, and get your paper out. Make it a full time 40 hour a week job. The market stinks, and the average time without is at least 6 months.
bigkensteele
Very sorry to hear this. As I have stated in the past, I am a firm believer in the old "everything happens for a reason" cliche. Hopefully, this means a better job is what you are destined for. Hang in there and keep the chin up!
Porschef
QUOTE(montoya 73 2.0 @ Aug 17 2012, 08:13 PM) *

QUOTE(76-914 @ Aug 17 2012, 05:04 PM) *

Oh yeah. I will hang out with E-L-L-I-O-T tonight!

Click to view attachment

beerchug.gif av-943.gif

I don't always drink beer; but when I do, I get really hammered! aktion035.gif
montoya 73 2.0
Thanks guys! Like I said this place is good for my soul!
greenie
QUOTE(montoya 73 2.0 @ Aug 17 2012, 03:23 PM) *

You know, I have been working full time since I was 18 years old (1988). Never once took unemployment, in those 24 years. I think I will see what life has to throw at me after a few weeks of rest and relaxation if my wife will allow it! I doubt it but I will give it a shot.

I may think about changing my profession, Does anyone know how going to school for a auto mechanic or whatever its called these days is? Maybe for Porsche or VW?

Don't be proud about the unemployment. It's INSURANCE.

You've paid into this fund for twentyfour years and haven't taken a dime.

Get online and get it going., let them buy you tonights beer3.gif
Joe Owensby
Sorry to hear that. Good luck with a new job, whatever field it is in. JoeO
dirk9141973
drunk.gif Yup I'm in the same sinking ship and get to fire myself next year or two. My dad told me long time ago "you were looking for a job when you found this one" and it is insurance not a hand out!
JRust
Keep your chin up Drew! You'll find something but stressing to much about it won't help. The right thing will pop for you before you know. Until then enjoy that unemployement insurance beer.gif

If I can be of any help let me know.
RickS
The feeling truly sucks. been there 3Xs before and am facing a 4th with a company I have been with for 15 years.

You will get past it and back on your feet. You willingness to travel will save you. Seems to be a lot of work in the Seattle area, but can't say about your specialy. Best of luck brother.
jeffdon
Hey Man, Take whatever benefits you can get, and do not feel bad. Its money to finance the creation of whatever it is you want to do.

Take some time navel gazing and thinking about what you can do with your skills. Really consider striking out as an independent. Think about building your on biz, and not having your future controlled by anyone but you. Big talk I know. Been working on doing just that for a year now, got a few more months before any significant money flows. Scary stuff, but it shifts your frame of mind for sure.

Best of luck.
Mike Bellis
I feel your pain. I was laid off just over a year ago. Stay focused and you will find something better. I did. Good luck!
kerensky
Just spent 7 months unemployed myself. Be methodical and hit all the bases - don't talk yourself out of contacting someone. Even if they're not hiring they may know someone who is looking.

3D Design and drafting, huh? Depending upon the market that can be a good area to work for yourself. Lots of guys out there have some work but not enough reliable work to need a full-time employee. Ever do any architectural drafting? smile.gif
montoya 73 2.0
I was technically a Mechanical Designer / Drafter when I transferred from the Engineering department to the Marketing and sales department. To facilitate them with Architectural Technical documents and 3D STEP files to be rendered for the website and catalogs. The thing that really pisses me off is there is enough work fulltime for 6 people for atleast the next three years, then down to 3 people for maintenance but it's all about perception for potential investors in this downturn economy. Business 101 I guess!

I'm not bitter, It's their money and business is business. It's just a shame.
biggy72
http://www.brammo.com/careers/

They don't have anything listed about hiring drafters right now, but they just got a decent influx of cash from Polaris. Not right next door to you, but it's the one bigger company I've heard about in southern Oregon lately.

http://editorial.autos.msn.com/blogs/autos...386a&_blg=5
montoya 73 2.0
QUOTE(biggy72 @ Aug 17 2012, 10:41 PM) *

http://www.brammo.com/careers/

They don't have anything listed about hiring drafters right now, but they just got a decent influx of cash from Polaris. Not right next door to you, but it's the one bigger company I've heard about in southern Oregon lately.

http://editorial.autos.msn.com/blogs/autos...386a&_blg=5

I totally forgot about Brammo, I will have to drive over the hill to go check them out, Ashland is about 60 miles away. They just announced that they are expanding. Dude, thanks for reminding me.
shoguneagle
I feel for you and what you are going through; everything has a purpose and will work itself out; always believe in yourself and skills; if you need new skills, then possibly develop them.

I will be moving to Grants Pass next year and I hope to see you and your 914 involvement. This means things will work out and always for the better.

Will be thinking constantly of you and your family.

Steve
GaroldShaffer
Welcome to the club. I was told the same thing this past Monday, after 26yrs. O"well time for bigger and better. Good luck to you. beerchug.gif
ww914
This may be an opportunity for you. Think really hard about what you enjoy doing and what you would like to do and go for it. Good luck my friend.
MDG
Sorry to hear this.

I agree with what others are saying; unless the perfect opportunity falls in your lap right away . . take some of your money back from the government. It is your money after all so use it for what it's meant for - to give you some breathing time to find the best solution.

good luck!

m.
TJB/914
QUOTE(montoya 73 2.0 @ Aug 18 2012, 01:32 AM) *

I was technically a Mechanical Designer / Drafter when I transferred from the Engineering department to the Marketing and sales department. To facilitate them with Architectural Technical documents and 3D STEP files to be rendered for the website and catalogs. The thing that really pisses me off is there is enough work fulltime for 6 people for atleast the next three years, then down to 3 people for maintenance but it's all about perception for potential investors in this downturn economy. Business 101 I guess!

I'm not bitter, It's their money and business is business. It's just a shame.

Montoya 73 2.0

Sorry to hear this news, but this could be the start of another career!!! We all have had things like this happen in our career. God Bless & hang in there, you will be OK.
My Story:
In 1987 the company I worked for went bankrupt and we were given 2-weeks pay and thank you's for faithful service. I had (2) kids in college and a homemaker wife to support. My wife & I sat down and cryed together and with her support I went into business as a Mfg. Rep in the Power & Utility business. Failure was not an option!!! Today after 25-years of success I will be turning over my business to my Mechanical Engr. son who works internationally in the oil business and coming home to the USA. The gov't didn't build my business. I did. flag.gif I suggest you don't look for a job, but consider starting your own business. You are then in charge of your life. pray.gif
Tom
JawjaPorsche
When one door closes, another opens. hang in there.
ruby914
Sorry to hear the news and good luck to you in finding that better gig.
It is true, you get all cushy in a job and don't have to look for anything better.
Sometimes this is what it takes to move up.
Easy for me to say. I work in the military aircraft defense industry, on the tooling side. So, after the tools are built it is time to move on.
I got 13 years out of the C-17. The longer you stay the harder to move on.
Just as you were looking at maintenance work down the road, the real fun work is in the initial build.
Sometimes it is better to get out early.
Now with 7 years on my current project, last year, we went through voluntary layoffs followed by involuntary.
This year we are just starting the voluntary layoffs again. Then at the end of the year we have the sequestration. WTF.gif
Yea, I feel I always have one foot out the door.
Be glad you have the Unemployment Insurance it will help you relax as you consider your next gig.

Good luck!
ericread
Sorry to hear about your plight. But I'm going to make a couple of comments that may not quite agree with some of the other comments:

1. Agreed - Unemployment is not a handout - It is insurance. If you got into an automobile accident would you be too proud to take a check form your auto insurance company for repairs? It's really very similar.
2. Things do not always happen for a reason. People (management included) make stupid decisions. Many management executives I've worked with (which includes small businesses to Fortune 100 companies) are as clueless as a person can be. Their biggest fear is that everyone else will finally discover that they don't have the answers. This kind of describes the company where you previously worked that (as you describe it) has months of work backlog, but cuts staff to make management look good to investors.
3. Take a few days off, not a few weeks or months. The longer you are out of the workforce the harder it will be to re-enter the workforce. Many companies today will not hire a person that is not currently employed.
4. Take a job if it is offered. As I mentioned above, it is much easier to get a better job if you are currently employed. Once you are employed, then take your time and look for the perfect job.
5. Network. This includes letting your friends here know of your skills and advising you of any opportunities with which they might come into contact.

Good luck.

Eric Read
3d914
Drew,

Sorry to hear you're in this spot. Sounds like you're the kinda guy who has always been motivated to work and enjoyed doing it. I can relate. As a mechanical designer of 30+ years I have ventured into just about every branch of CAD-related work; electrical, civil, survey, applications programming, technical support, customer training and consulting, etc. Most opportunities were with just a couple of companies.

Anywho, the point is - think outside the box when looking for your next career. With my current employer - which I hired into after 4-1/2 month layoff - I ventured into another new field. There is a whole world of opportunities that's not visible on the surface. The new direction I went with was with a Generation & Transmission Cooperative. Generation relates to power generation; gas, coal-fired, power plants etc. Transmission relates to the routing of that power to various distribution cooperatives (another industry). The amazing thing is that most people don't understand just how big the cooperative power, transmission, and distribution network is.

This large network is one of the reasons I went this direction. With literally hundreds of cooperatives across the country - if opportunity dried up at one, there would always be another that was flourishing. Those who can appreciate, value, and work in the cooperative business model will be of value to any cooperative.

Today there are a couple of central organizations that coordinate on behalf of the majority of cooperatives around the country - National Rural Electric Cooperative Association (NRECA) & Touchstone Energy.

NRECA Cooperative Member list (and yes there are many in Oregon)

Touchstone Energy member jobs

Keep moving in a positive direction with your employment efforts. Ignore any negative perspectives like mainstream media.

Best wishes on your journey.
stugray
I was technically a Mechanical Designer / Drafter when I transferred from the Engineering department to the Marketing and sales department. To facilitate them with Architectural Technical documents and 3D STEP files to be rendered for the website and catalogs.

What software do you use?
By brother & I were just talking about this the other night.
We both agreed that the smartest thing a young person looking for work right now would be to learn Solidworks.
My brother works with designers in the structural steel fabrication industry and I do aerospace.
Both of our industries are in desparate need of designers with solidworks experience.

There are even positions available that do not require a degree, just demonstrate-able experience.

Good luck!

Stu
wingnut86
Good points Stu, I wish I had taken that road when the opportunity presented itself.

Drew & Garold,

Again, take at least 2 weeks off to try and detox 1st, I didn't the 1st time in 2005. I learned my lesson in May of last year when Layoffs came calling again dry.gif

The average in National numbers is actually 10 months or more, all dependant on population density and multiple other factors. I am at 15 months, but very difficult field I chose - Medical Service Management, and mid-level managers are the rule when layoffs come around (BAAAM).

If you have never written a resume yourself, search out the web and find multiple resumes that sound similar to what you do and how you see yourself. I have reviewed thousands of resumes over the years, and the best ones are the ones that fit the individual as well as the job description they are seeking work in.

Your local job service, unemployment office and many local schools offer evaluations/tests to help you determine what your profile is, for retraining as well as what field you most closely align with. Don't be surprised if you find that you don't match what you used to do at all, happened to me.

Network with others here, local clubs, industry alumni sites and even your local place of spiritual guidance if that is where you spend time. Read up on what the local chamber of commerce is doing, and who they are working with, as there may be new as well as old employers locally getting ready to expand or pick up other company's business as the scale back.

Get certified in your specialty, or more certified. Join a site like LinkedIn or others that promote professional business networking. Once there, search on companies and groups and join groups that have shared interests.

Maybe we should start a thread in The Sandbox for unemployed or underemployed 914 owners, no pitty partys - no time for that - good structured advice and links to job ooenings or retraining opportunities.

Some folks appreciate sharing just content related to their cars, and that's healthy and relaxing at times, so maybe asking Andy or another Admin to allow this in the Sandbox would give those of us seeking work a place to go and share input, no headhunting spam allowed, and still allow us to share our addiction of these little Beasties confused24.gif

Feedback?

Dave B.
montoya 73 2.0
After speaking to the wife, we have decided that I will go on my own doing 3D designing in contract work or one off designs. I use Autodesks Inventor Professional but Solid Works is something I would like to learn as well. It's all the same thing just different buttons. So here I go, I'm taking my shot at the American dream and being my own boss! As scary is it should be, I'm not that worried. I know I can do it and I know that I am good at what I do!

So, for anyone that may need anything let me know. I will be up and running soon full bore and ready to create what you need for proto-typing or 3D models for CNC programming.

McMark, sent you a PM.
ruby914
QUOTE(montoya 73 2.0 @ Aug 19 2012, 09:02 PM) *

After speaking to the wife, we have decided that I will go on my own doing 3D designing in contract work or one off designs. I use Autodesks Inventor Professional but Solid Works is something I would like to learn as well. It's all the same thing just different buttons. So here I go, I'm taking my shot at the American dream and being my own boss! As scary is it should be, I'm not that worried. I know I can do it and I know that I am good at what I do!

So, for anyone that may need anything let me know. I will be up and running soon full bore and ready to create what you need for proto-typing or 3D models for CNC programming.

McMark, sent you a PM.

Cool!

Wow, that's great.
So, your the 914World member vender for CAD.
I hope, In a year or two you can look back and think, that layoff was the best thing that ever happene to you.

Good luck
bigkensteele
QUOTE(montoya 73 2.0 @ Aug 19 2012, 08:02 PM) *

McMark, sent you a PM.

Fantastic!

I can't really make my long-story short, so I won't even try, but in a nut-shell, I had a horrible corporate gig, and a short-term consulting job landed in my lap. I was faced with the decision of "long-term" employment with a company that lays off people like you and I brush our teeth, or a 6 month gig. I took the 6 months, and it has been 2 years now making far more money than I could ever make doing the same if I were an employee. I most likely have another year or two before I have to start looking again.

I am not bashing corporations here, by any means. Like people, there are good and bad. Corps only exist to create a product that can be sold to make a profit. This is good for everyone - the customer first, the shareholder second, the management next, and then the people they employ.

I could go on, but glad that you found a gig. flag.gif
ThinAir
Drew -

I'm glad you have such a positive attitude and a plan that sounds very promising. When I got laid off from the university it was the most gut-wrenching thing I've ever experienced. I tried the freelance computer consulting thing and found that it just didn't work for me, but I'm excited that it sounds you are up for it.

I'll keep you in my prayers.
montoya 73 2.0
QUOTE(stugray @ Aug 19 2012, 12:59 PM) *

I was technically a Mechanical Designer / Drafter when I transferred from the Engineering department to the Marketing and sales department. To facilitate them with Architectural Technical documents and 3D STEP files to be rendered for the website and catalogs.

What software do you use?
By brother & I were just talking about this the other night.
We both agreed that the smartest thing a young person looking for work right now would be to learn Solidworks.
My brother works with designers in the structural steel fabrication industry and I do aerospace.
Both of our industries are in desparate need of designers with solidworks experience.

There are even positions available that do not require a degree, just demonstrate-able experience.

Good luck!

Stu

Previously to this job, I worked for two inter-connect companies. One being Glenair - interconnect based in Glendale, california.

I was on the "Mighty Mouse" connectors, Composite Thermoplastic Connectors, Backshells, Accessories and Enclosures along side military spec's; U.S. Navy MIL-PRF-28876 QPL and MIL-PRF-28840 QPL; Also MIL-DTL-5015 Type Harsh Environment Connectors and a multiple of FiberOptics projects.

It was all totally cool factor stuff! I loved that job. I left cause the wife wanted to be closer to her parents up here in oregon so we re-located. The two coolest project I did was the explosive bolt connection for the patriot missle defense system and the communication systems for the Militaries "Land Warrior" project. I was told back then that one of my projects would be "roving" Mars but I left before hearing anythng more.
biggy72
Solidworks is pretty easy to learn on your own. As for Catia V5 or Unigraphics... they take a little more getting used to. I learned Solidworks over a summer during an internship and I was pretty good at it. I'm currently working on Catia and Unigraphics took me the better part of a year to really learn how to use it well.
montoya 73 2.0
See you tomorrow Mark with the motor.

Can this be fixed? This is the motor that the heads you already have came from.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
wingnut86
No pun intended, Hole-ee crap.

You really gonna get that fixed??
McMark
Yeah, it can be fixed. There's a chance you'll always have a slight oil leak there though. But it can be rewelded. wink.gif
Spoke
Sorry to hear about your "career redirection".

I just went through this in Feb as my job was moved to Boston without me.

Within 2 months I found a really cool gig with a small company (6 people, now 7) in Pittsburgh making the same money.

Although I have to move, this puts me back where my wife and I grew up and where my daughter now works.

These layoffs seem to be part-and-parcel to our modern lives so best to look at them as opportunities.

Good luck with your future endeavors.
Cap'n Krusty
A new career as an automotive technician? VW and Audi, as well as a lot of other manufacturers, use UTI as their training facility. Lotta guys start, many finish, but few go on to the brand specific advanced courses. You need to be REALLY computer savvy and have a good logical mindset for diagnostics. Getting your hands dirty up to the armpits is hardly a factor anymore. Good people can eventually make a lot of money, but advancement can be slow for everyone but the super stars. Young people have an advantage.

The Cap'n
tscrihfield
QUOTE(montoya 73 2.0 @ Aug 20 2012, 07:39 PM) *

Previously to this job, I worked for two inter-connect companies. One being Glenair - interconnect based in Glendale, california.

I was on the "Mighty Mouse" connectors, Composite Thermoplastic Connectors, Backshells, Accessories and Enclosures along side military spec's; U.S. Navy MIL-PRF-28876 QPL and MIL-PRF-28840 QPL; Also MIL-DTL-5015 Type Harsh Environment Connectors and a multiple of FiberOptics projects.

It was all totally cool factor stuff! I loved that job. I left cause the wife wanted to be closer to her parents up here in oregon so we re-located. The two coolest project I did was the explosive bolt connection for the patriot missle defense system and the communication systems for the Militaries "Land Warrior" project. I was told back then that one of my projects would be "roving" Mars but I left before hearing anythng more.

I know Glenair... I'm more used to D38999 d-subs, but I have used mil-dtl 5015's.

We most likely used some of you connectors on the MRO and on the rover when we built the data transceivers for JPL. There were a lot of rigid Co-ax on those units.

Would like to know more of what you do. Would you be interested in relocation?

Thomas
montoya 73 2.0
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Aug 22 2012, 11:46 AM) *

A new career as an automotive technician? VW and Audi, as well as a lot of other manufacturers, use UTI as their training facility. Lotta guys start, many finish, but few go on to the brand specific advanced courses. You need to be REALLY computer savvy and have a good logical mindset for diagnostics. Getting your hands dirty up to the armpits is hardly a factor anymore. Good people can eventually make a lot of money, but advancement can be slow for everyone but the super stars. Young people have an advantage.

The Cap'n

Thank you sir. I appreciate the advice.
nsr-jamie
Sorry to hear that about your job. It must be hard right now...if you are still interested in finding similiar work I can ask my friend who works at a tool and die and machine shop in OREGON and see if he can help you out...I believe they were looking for Cad operators and Cam programmers...they do lots of military work so the work is very stable. Let me know and I can ask for you......also my company is hiring too but I am on the other side of the world here in Japan.
montoya 73 2.0
Relocating is possible. The wife said she would go but her parents are here and she really wants to be with them. So telecommuting is ideal. Where in Oregon is the tool and die shop?

I have spoken to a few old friends in the VW accesories and performance business and I happened to need work when they happened to have a few prototyping models that are needed. Its short term work but stuff I like to do.
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(greenie @ Aug 17 2012, 05:37 PM) *

QUOTE(montoya 73 2.0 @ Aug 17 2012, 03:23 PM) *

Don't be proud about the unemployment. It's INSURANCE.

You've paid into this fund for twentyfour years and haven't taken a dime.

Get online and get it going., let them buy you tonights beer3.gif

agree.gif Sorry to hear this Drew. I will be praying for you that something great comes along.

Unemployment for some is hard to take as we have worked for years and don't want to take it. However, you have paid into the system for it. Every check your company paid into the system for just this and you should take it when you need it.

Hope to hear good news soon beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.