Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shift Adjustments Suggestions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
shoguneagle
Ladies and Gentlemen:

I am facing the old problem of the transmission shift not getting all gears. Yes, I have re-read all the threads regarding this matter and have followed the procedures. Yes, I used the same shift, linkage, taper screws, universal, etc. from when the car was running under a different transmission. All the mentioned parts were replaced new when I got the 914-Sixer together and running last year. Even ran it all summer for dependability.

This year I had a transmission built to match the 3.2 engine. Everything is installed but cannot get the shift to rig with the console located on the transmission. At first I got 1st and reverse, and second and third. Could not get 4th or 5th. Rigged shift and rod with the back several times but could not get anything. Even lost all gears for the most part during some of these rigs.

The transaxle console now does not want to go into any gear smoothly, I can only get 2nd gear at the console and it is very rough going in.

I need suggestions regarding any possible causes, and more specifically what if anything could happen inside the transaxle. By going into the transaxle, I am going into unfamiliar territory and actually do not know what I would be looking for.

I am going back over the shift, rods, connections, universal, etc. again for the fifth time tomorrow.

Yes, I do need help, advice, etc. Yes, I usually do not have any problems with rigs. Yes, I actually know about rigging and procedures, parts conditions, etc. But this series of currrent happenings is leading to frustration.

Any suggestions, etc would be greatly helpful.

As stated prior, the transaxle is rebuilt and has zero miles.

Steve sad.gif screwy.gif bye1.gif
VaccaRabite
Talk to who built your transmission.
If it is fresh you should be able to hit all the gears from the console.
ChrisFoley
With all new synchros it will be stiff and will take some effort to engage the gears, but you should be able to yank on the shift rod ahead of the console and put it into all 6 gears.
If you can't get all the gears something is out of alignment, or loose, in the gearbox.

Inside the box are 3 forks held onto levers with allen screws.
Each fork engages a gear pair: R-1, 2-3, 4-5. Each fork must be aligned fore-aft, and in rotation.

Bad fork alignment fore-aft may prevent engagement of one gear in a pair.
Bad rotational alignment of just one fork may prevent engagment of multiple gears.
Improper assembly of the lockout mechanism may prevent engagement of all the gears.

Removing the console gives you access to the 3 gear levers for inspection/testing but no adjustments/repairs are possible without removing the gearstack.
shoguneagle
Thanks for the immediate and responsive request for advice. I certainly will be looking inside the transaxle based on your suggestions. As mentioned before, I will be checking everything over in detail before I go into the transaxle console. I am looking for anything and everything to see why I have a shifting problem.

Steve
shoguneagle
Based on the above information and receiving Dr. Evil's 31 pages of notes regarding transmission build, I have the the six gears engaging. The transaxle is tight and I will need to work the console (at transmission) more in the shifting. Got the console working by trying to shift in all gears and working the rear wheels. It is now shifting tightly but shifting.

Now, what type of petro based oil should be used???

This question one does research on gets many answers. Because of the transmission age and type of seals, I would prefer and did use petro base product. I used NAPA Premium SAE 80W-85W-90W API Services GL-5, GL-4,GL-3 (Hypoid).

What advice can you give on this oil??? I can use Sweptco but I did not like the experiences and it is a synthetic oil. I do want to use an excellent quality petro oil, preferably a name brand.

Again, do appreciate and do need advice in this area.

I will be checking out the shift, cone bolts, universal, bushings, etc. tomorrow with the next day for the rigging. I think this rigging will take considerable time and patience since the shifting is extremely tight and needs to be worked.

Thanks,
Steve
ChrisFoley
NAPA Premium should be ok.
Swepco is not synthetic.
shoguneagle
Thanks, Chris.

the needed information!!! Will be working the shifting at the console and checking all the other linkage/rod connections. Go for rig on Wednesday!!

Steve
shoguneagle
Just got the project Sixer rigged; tomorrow should be able to take it for short run for final adjustment. I did follow Dr. Evil 31 Page Notes on Transaxle, etal. They proved to be most helpful and timely.

I did find that the clutch cable tube was moving about 3/8ths to 1/2 inch just from pressure from the clutch cable. The tube does not appear to have broken welds around the shift lever. To eliminate the movement, build a clamp located along an area where it was flat. The movement was eliminated and the shift rigged in nicely. I will check the clutch cable and adjustment to see that is rigged right.

The transaxle is tight from the rebuild therefore going slow and easy on breaking in the sliders/synchros. The transaxle is definitely build right with high level of skill and quality parts.

I have to adjust the left rear corner for proper level ride heights as well as other small items.

Should be a great day tomorrow assuming it does not rain, etc.

Steve Hurt
ThinAir
How did it go? It was dry all day until about 4:30 when it started a really nice rain.
shoguneagle
Hi Ernie,

Got involved with the up and coming car show so only got minimum done on the car. Have other things to take care of and the car should be off the jack stands this afternoon.

How are you coming with your car??

Steve
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.