Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hello 914 World
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
porkchopexpress
Hello everyone! Today begins my first journey restoring a 1972 914. I have been a fan for a number of years and now get the chance to do this work myself to get an operational and hopefully beautiful car.

So.... where do I begin? Pictures attached of the car in my garage today.

First project is already down which was to disengage the parking brake cable on the driver side rear wheel. It was siezed and we couldn't get the car all the way into the garge until that was done.

My first task tomorrow is to work this gal over with the shop vac and a bucket wash.

Any advice on where to start? Any and all input is appreciated.
Cheers!
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
aircooledtechguy
welcome.png

You've come to the right place!! It's all down hill from here. . . good thing too, 'cause these are momentum cars biggrin.gif
timothy_nd28
Looks like your ashtray is missing.
welcome.png
Cupomeat
I think the #1 thing to do is to investigate the car thouroughly for rust and rust issues.

Once you know that you can plan the restoration/revitalization projects.

After that, if there is no serious issues, get it running and drive it.

Once you get driving it, things will be clearer as to the path.

Good luck and welcome.png
KELTY360
Well, you've learned to use one of the most important tools for success in the 914World.....the camera!

Take your resto one project at a time and keep us posted on your progress. There is so much help available here you'll always have solution if you ask. Good luck, and........ welcome.png
balljoint
FERG.gif smile.gif
ellisor3
No 914 has ever been restored without a nice pair of these:

welcome.png
rick 918-S
welcome.png smash.gif sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif
Cairo94507
Welcome indeed. welcome.png
wingnut86
welcome.png

Let the fun begin beer.gif
saigon71
welcome.png

You have come to the right place! There is a wealth of helpful people and information on this site.

Good luck with your project...and keep us posted.

ChrisFoley
It looks like you have a good starting point for a restoration there.
welcome.png
seanery
welcome.png

Jack stands are a prerequisite for 914 ownership!

ps...don't even think about a turbo 914, everyone knows you can't turbocharge a 914!!! wink.gif
76-914
welcome.png This reminds me of my 1st 914. BTW,I have only done 2 so far so I'm no expert). I looked at it and realized the only thing I could accomplish w/o any Porsche knowledge was to clean it. After a thorough cleaning I had acquired enough confidence to drop the engine and clean it. After that it was one project after another. I think cleaning is a good start. Go with the flow and keep posting. beerchug.gif
Ag_Boxster
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Aug 19 2012, 12:55 AM) *

Well, you've learned to use one of the most important tools for success in the 914World.....the camera!

Take your resto one project at a time and keep us posted on your progress. There is so much help available here you'll always have solution if you ask. Good luck, and........ welcome.png

agree.gif

This is a very good point. It is very easy to jump in and take things apart. Before you do, take a photo of how it goes back together, even simple things can waste a lot of time staring at it trying to remember exactly how it came apart months ago. confused24.gif Then taking it apart again later on when you realize you put it on backwards or something else needs to go on first.

Good luck, keep us informed
johannes
welcome.png

This is really the world

The french guy
jsayre914
QUOTE(porkchopexpress @ Aug 19 2012, 12:26 AM) *

My first task tomorrow is to work this gal over with the shop vac and a bucket wash.

Any advice on where to start? Any and all input is appreciated.
Cheers!

welcome.png

If you want to vacuum real good, remove the seats. Slide them all the way forward lifting on the adjuster lever in the front, then slide it back 1/2 inch and reach under the seat rail and press up on the spring clip in the track. The seat will then slide all the way forward and out.

p.s. don't mix up driver and passenger, they fit different

pull all carpets from floors and trunks and inspect for rust while you clean.

a lot of armorall and a new dash cap and it would 10 times better.
beerchug.gif

oh yeah, when you rinse the car with the hose, NEVER shoot water near the top of the windows or the rear of the targa, these cars can leak a lot of water due to old rubber seals. All rubber is available from a member here on this site.

Have Fun aktion035.gif
wndsnd
I agree with cleaning. I would pressure wash the underneath before starting.

Elliot Cannon
welcome.png Rust is one of the biggest problems with this car, if not THE biggest. I would remove the entire interior. Remove the seats, the carpet, the back pad, the center consol, the inner door panels and scrape up all the floor insulation and look for rust. Find the rust. Kill it or remove it. sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif Look at the longitudinal channel directly under the battery. Nasty rust there. Check where the forward end of the rear suspension trailing arms mount to the body for rust and cracks. Check as many electrical connections as you can find for corrosion. Change out ALL the fuel lines. Shouldn't take too long. It only took me 1 1/2 years and I had help! laugh.gif Good luck.
Cheers, Elliot
zymurgist
welcome.png
Jonathan Livesay
QUOTE(Cupomeat @ Aug 18 2012, 09:41 PM) *

I think the #1 thing to do is to investigate the car thouroughly for rust and rust issues.

Once you know that you can plan the restoration/revitalization projects.

After that, if there is no serious issues, get it running and drive it.

Once you get driving it, things will be clearer as to the path.

Good luck and welcome.png

#1 Tetanus shot
#2 investigate the car thouroughly for rust and rust issues
Richard Casto
welcome.png

You are in the right place and you are getting good advice. I would also read some of the thread in the "classic" section and in general lots of reading on just about any thread is good.

Unrelated... Is your forum username from the movie "Big Trouble in Little China"? smile.gif

Richard
wingnut86
...buy a spare 914 for parts and for a sacrificial Porsche anode for rust biggrin.gif
PanelBilly
Save your money up for beer and ribs. Hold a party, feed the crew and let them evaluate the car and listen to the comments. Then decide what to do.
wingnut86
Damnit,

Billy's correct again mad.gif

Start with BEER beer.gif
hot_shoe914
Don't listen to all these crazy screwy.gif people, they have intelligence. Just do what I do, get in it and drive driving.gif the damn thing, that is what it really wants.

welcome.png welcome.png welcome.png
Dave_Darling
Armor-All contains silicone. Not good for the vinyl. There are other non-silicone protectants/shiny-uppers you can buy.

--DD
shoguneagle
welcome.png beer.gif beerchug.gif beer3.gif drunk.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif icon8.gif stirthepot.gif stirthepot.gif Welcome!! You appear to have an "excellent start" to developing a very interesting hobby for yourself. If you have all the original items such as air conditioning, etc. keep them and restore to original concept/manufacturing agenda.

Follow all the given given and the future advice that will be given. Everyone on this board will help and it is one of the best assets you can have.

Missing an ashtray? Somewhere in the "collection" of parts I believe I have both the ash tray and the track for it. If you want them and not in any hurrry, I will give them to you.

Again, congratulations and welcome.

Steve Hurt
porkchopexpress
QUOTE(Richard Casto @ Aug 19 2012, 04:03 PM) *

welcome.png

You are in the right place and you are getting good advice. I would also read some of the thread in the "classic" section and in general lots of reading on just about any thread is good.

Unrelated... Is your forum username from the movie "Big Trouble in Little China"? smile.gif

Richard

Thank you Richard, and yes indeed, my username is from Big Trouble in Little China. Best Terrible movie ever made... IMO.
"Like I told my last wife, I says, "Honey, I never drive faster than I can see. Besides that, it's all in the reflexes." "

porkchopexpress
QUOTE(shoguneagle @ Aug 21 2012, 05:27 AM) *

welcome.png beer.gif beerchug.gif beer3.gif drunk.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif icon8.gif stirthepot.gif stirthepot.gif Welcome!! You appear to have an "excellent start" to developing a very interesting hobby for yourself. If you have all the original items such as air conditioning, etc. keep them and restore to original concept/manufacturing agenda.

Follow all the given given and the future advice that will be given. Everyone on this board will help and it is one of the best assets you can have.

Missing an ashtray? Somewhere in the "collection" of parts I believe I have both the ash tray and the track for it. If you want them and not in any hurrry, I will give them to you.

Again, congratulations and welcome.

Steve Hurt

Thanks Steve. I actually did find the ashtray hiding under the center console. But I greatly appreciate the offer!
porkchopexpress
Very big THANK YOU to everyone for the great advice, input, offers and welcomes.

With help from my great friend Tim_ND I got the gas tank pulled last night and dropped it off today to get boiled. Good news: No RUST! I will post more pictures in a new thread this evening or tomorrow.

One step closer!

Cheers

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
monkeyboy
QUOTE(porkchopexpress @ Aug 21 2012, 11:14 AM) *

QUOTE(Richard Casto @ Aug 19 2012, 04:03 PM) *

welcome.png

Richard

Thank you Richard, and yes indeed, my username is from Big Trouble in Little China. Best Terrible movie ever made... IMO.
"Like I told my last wife, I says, "Honey, I never drive faster than I can see. Besides that, it's all in the reflexes." "

When working on the car you will quickly learn what Lo Pan said so eloquently...

"You were not put on this Earth to 'get it' Mr. Burton"
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.