Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Slightly OT: What this thing worth?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
skline
OK, I get a call from the ex father in law about a car he has aquired. He loaned some money to a guy and got the titles to a few vehicles and the guy is now in Jail. So he calls me up to ask me to look at a Porsche the guy left behind. It is a 1984 928S that has been ditched by a woman driver. She broke something on the underside, probably the A arm and crunched the nose, front passenger fender and the spoiler. Probably the cowl panel too. I am thinking the thing may be twisted as well. Here are some pictures of it and I am hoping someone here can give me an idea of what this thing is worth. There are about 5 or 6 pictures so wait to reply till I finish. The car only has 59k on it. It is actual.

First Pic
skline
Second pic
skline
Third pic
skline
4th pic, and the rear window is busted out. The glass used is about $350.00
skline
last pic, I think
skline
Actually, there is 2 or 3 more
skline
Another
skline
Last one.
tod914
Donate it to Rick so he can make another Monster.
soloracer
Is the car still straight? Because from the engine picture it looks like the strut bar is pushed back on the left side. A good condition 1984 928S sells for around $9000 US. I would expect this car with those damages (assuming they are repairable) would be less than $4000. Even then you are going to have a hard time finding someone willing to repair this car when they can get one that hasn't been in an accident for only a few grand more.
DuckRyder
RUN

like the wind...
mharrison
So, how hard would it be to cram that engine into a 914? I'll bet it would haul butt!!

-Matt
dlo914
QUOTE(skline @ Oct 24 2004, 03:57 PM)
Second pic

i'll take that plate.... rolleyes.gif
Jeroen
Car looks pretty crooked to me sad.gif
They have very little value, because they're money pits
Even if it isn't bend, it's prolly not worth it to fix it
If it is now yours (or your dad's), part it out and keep the engine for your 914 biggrin.gif
Cap'n Krusty
Market in SO Cal, the real market where cars are bought and sold, not the asking market, is $3-5K for a good running 83-84, low miles or not. I just walked away from a running 82 for $1K because the interior was shabby and it needed paint. As for cost of ownership, ones that aren't beat are pretty reasonable to drive. Not much goes wrong with 'em, and they're not too bad to work on. Say about half as expensive to own as a 944, and maybe a little more than a 911 of the same vintage. For a big, heavy car, they go like stink. Not good when you wanna sell 'em, though ......... I wouldn't touch that one, the body panels'll take you right to the poor house. The Cap'n.
Aaron Cox
ill take the calipers for 50 idea.gif
soloracer
QUOTE(mharrison @ Oct 24 2004, 04:34 PM)
So, how hard would it be to cram that engine into a 914? I'll bet it would haul butt!!

-Matt

Not easy but it's been done. Do a search for Alien on this board. Tons of info. As for how it goes, I'm still waiting for my ride in it. Feel like making a trip north of the border Rich? wink.gif
dflesburg
Good God man the damn thing is purple...

I will give him $500 for the motor.
JB 914
Scott,

Let's put that motor in a 914!!

Dude, that body is thrashed. part it out. Let's try and put that engine in my black on!! LOL
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(joe buckle @ Oct 24 2004, 07:26 PM)
Scott,

Let's put that motor in a 914!!

Dude, that body is thrashed. part it out. Let's try and put that engine in my black on!! LOL

serious.....do it joe

i still want those calipers tho rolleyes.gif
skline
You guys are a bunch of Vultures, I have not even got to talk to him about it in person yet, probably tomorrow, and you guys already want to strip it down and scavenge parts off it. It really is not purple, its just the light, it is a burgundy wine color. It looks good in person. As for the body, I have already got prices to buy the parts to put it back together, assuming it runs, I could have it all together in about a week or so and it would cost about 1500 in parts. That is not including any damage underneath the car on the suspension. I agree, it is not worth fixing, and yes, i would love to get the engine out of it and I may. If I can talk him out of it that is. I would need to part out the whole car and get him enough out of it to cover the loan he made to the guy and if I could do that and keep the engine, it will be on my list of projects. Then I would just need to find a car to put it in and get Rick to come out and spend a few weeks here biggrin.gif smash.gif welder.gif sawzall-smiley.gif
bob91403
agree.gif Part it out and drop that puppy in a roller. Make the rennegaders drool. drooley.gif Here's an idea, use as much of it as you can and build a real freaky teener. Keep the wheels, brakes, mirrors, instruments, even modify the car to take the 928 headlight setup. The car would look hot, and be so different looking it would really draw attention.
McMark
I had a 928 for awhile. That is only worth anything as parts. DO NOT try and fix it. You'll get $1500 and then realize how much it's really going to cost. I've BEEN there! My 928 grand total spent (including purchase) was $10,000!!! I sold it for $2000!!! Part it out ONLY! Maybe sell it to parts heaven or 928 International or Devek?

Please don't spend a dime on it. PLEASE.
Red-Beard
The only plausable place to get it fixed is "Los Panchos". Even then, it'll cost about $2000 to get the body fixed and the entire car repainted. Then, it's worth $3000...
brant
QUOTE(Red-Beard @ Oct 25 2004, 04:22 AM)
The only plausable place to get it fixed is "Los Panchos". Even then, it'll cost about $2000 to get the body fixed and the entire car repainted. Then, it's worth $3000...

Alot of those body panels are aluminum to boot...
I seriously doubt even los panchos would do it for less than 3-4K

b
Joe Bob
Geeeez, no brainer, parts car.... sawzall-smiley.gif
markb
I've got a rust free, really wide flared car that would look really good bolted to that motor..... laugh.gif
SLITS
Bang two ruby red one's together and send it home. Motor, well.....................,
spare time toys
Went by the salvage yard today they have an 83, 928, auto, 94586 miles and are at $2800 on it hit in front end.
Twystd1
Hiya SkyLine...
I saw that car behind Dick and Bonnie's (I don't know them by the way) house last week... The wood shop fella was suggesting I may buy it for a cheap price....

Bro, I wouldn't touch that car with a ten foot pole. Cept I kept thinking how cool it would be to have a water cooled quad cammed PORSCHE motor in a teener..... Like yours..????
Then I got over the dream sequence real fast when I figured out which hewland transaxle fitted up to the motor. I could buy a turbo 911 factory for less...

Then again Kennedy could make the adapter and I could use a hydraulic TO bearing and custom make a set of sick set of custom headers and...and...and........

It was Kewl dream....... Cause I don't have have my new to me teener even completed yet.......

By the way SkLine... I have really enjoyed the reading about your Wasserchevy build.... Good pics and interesting story... Especially the one when the wiring started cooking on the car after the tranny mounts fell apart on the freeway... was smiling with you bro.. Been there and done that....

Let em know if you need help moving it if you buy it... I will show up with the guys and help you...
Cheers,
Twytd1 burnout.gif type.gif
Rocky
Send that Kansas car back to Dorthy. Looks like Todo already chased a few cats over the hood. POS

But they were cool back in the day. aktion035.gif

Tim
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.