Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: LA-AK Rally
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jimtab
I saw this on Craigslist and I thought I already have the perfect 914 for a rally to Alaska on the alcan. The body is already wasted but it runs well...what do you guys think...is this a good idea, has anyone ever dealt with a rally like this? What does it take to prepare a car for this type of extreme rally, more tires I know, Ive been up and down the alcan highway several times and its a bad gravel road. Will a 914 hold up? I can see needing wire covers for the lights, and more road lights (as usual for rallye cars) but what else. Is this a project the club would be interested in? Whaadaya think gang?? driving.gif
drew365
Wouldn't mind seeing some info on the rally. Post a link if you can.
jimtab
Oh yeah, here is the info....
Aaron Cox
hmmm

msword no likey wacko.gif
boxstr
Pikes Peak racer and 914-6 owner Jeff Zwart, has driven the rally in his 914-6 before, it is yellow and setup for rally driving.
CCLINALCANORGASCAN
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(boxstr @ Oct 24 2004, 06:50 PM)
Pikes Peak racer and 914-6 owner Jeff Zwart, has driven the rally in his 914-6 before, it is yellow and setup for rally driving.
CCLINALCANORGASCAN

was his car at dunkels? there was a yellow gt 6 raised and set up for rally
rhodyguy
drive a car you are prepared to pull the plates off of and walk away from.
J P Stein
QUOTE(boxstr @ Oct 24 2004, 05:50 PM)
CCLINALCANORGASCAN

Read an article on that car/rally...but I think it started in Mexico...busted the car up pretty gud.....lota welding to get it all the way.
3liter914-6
do you have a link to the information on craigslist? I looked over there and didn't see anything, and while the .doc is interesting, it directs you to CL to get most of the details.

Thanks!
jimtab
QUOTE(3liter914-6 @ Oct 24 2004, 07:18 PM)
do you have a link to the information on craigslist? I looked over there and didn't see anything, and while the .doc is interesting, it directs you to CL to get most of the details.

Thanks!

I saw it a couple of days ago, I searched "porsche" and it showed up. Sorry for the bad link, not too tech savy...oh well.
boxstr
If you look on craigslist type in "rally" in sfbay area. Or you can email the rally chairperson at gabriand@aol.com
Let's go.
Yes Jeff Zwart was at the LA memorabila meet and Dunkles.
CCLINGASFORRALLY
3liter914-6
QUOTE(boxstr @ Oct 25 2004, 12:14 AM)
If you look on craigslist type in "rally" in sfbay area. Or you can email the rally chairperson at gabriand@aol.com
Let's go.
Yes Jeff Zwart was at the LA memorabila meet and Dunkles.
CCLINGASFORRALLY

Gotcha, I was looking in the forums and community, not in the classifieds. It's a loong way off though, lots of time to get ready. My VW Thing should be done in time to go.

This is a long distance, high endurance car rally scheduled for the 3rd week of July 2005. You are invited! Driver and navigator teams will compete in a 3,600 mile, 10 day automotive challenge from Los Angeles to Anchorage Alaska. San Francisco entrants may join on the second day as the rally heads north. This is the first event of its kind in the Northern Hemisphere. It's a free event, designed to be challenging and fun. There is no entrance fee. Just register and you're in! Entry is open to all sports and special interest cars including: MG, Porsche, Alfa Romeo, Triumph, Renault, Simca, Cortina, Lotus, Lancia, Fiat, Jaguar, Austin Healey, Sunbeam, etc.

If you are warped enough to still be reading this, you are very likely a potential competitor. Seize the moment, now is the time to begin. Want more details and information? Contact: gabriand@aol.com

Rob Henry
Rally Chairperson
Rhodes71/914
I've done Seattle to Anchorage many times while in college (lived in AK school in WA) I think my favorite vehicle that I used for the trip was my '84 Jetta GLI. Made it more than once in about 60hrs by myself. As far as gravel there isn't really much of the Al-Can that isn't paved, aside from wherever construction is taking place. If the route goes on the Cassiar (sp) then there is a couple of hundred of gravel there. But there is sure to be some rough road.

Sure would be a fun rally though. If anyone needs a navigator I'm game.

sr
jimtab
It turns out to be a Monte Carlo type rally with different things happening on different stages of the rally. NO offroad, but lots of un paved road. I think I'll try to do it. WTF!! driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif 3600 miles, wow!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.