Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Thermo Time Switch 1973 1.7L
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JohnWayne
So if my thermo time switch is bad it would cause the cold start valve to stay on?

If so it would cause the engine to run rich and also foul up the plugs right?

Also I can't find the thermo time switch for sell anywhere.
JeffBowlsby
The thermoswitch simply completes the ground path related to engine temp. The usually fail open, so no, the CSV would not work then....but the CSV iteslf may be leaking and cause a rich condition.
pilothyer
The 1.7 uses a thermo switch only, not a thermo-time switch. If it fails causing a short to ground it would cause the cold start valve to operate regardless of the engine's temperature, but this would only occur while the starter was engaged. The most common failure mode, however, is that it is open and will not supply ground to the cold start valve even when cooled to 30 below zero. If your cold start valve is the culprit causing an overly rich situation it is most likely because the cold start valve itself is leaking........(test it by removing the valve while it is still connected to the fuel loop and pressurize the system. If it is even just wet on the end it is a leaker) You can reinstall it and remove and plug the fuel line to it untill you replace it........if you think you really need one.....While I was busy taking the long way to say it, Jeff said just about the same thing in the above post biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.