Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What is this?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ericoneal
Hi all, new 914 owner here. Loving the car, but of course it has some oil leaks, for now. The previous owner disclosed that the pushrod tube seals were leaking (and they are!) and also the oil temperature sensor seal area.
I am also getting a few drips from the, what I think to be, the dust boot on the gear shift linkage. Total noob here, so bear with me.
Could this just be blowback from the other oil leaks, which arent too bad really, or could something really be leaking from here. The attached pic is not my car, but that is where the oil is dripping from.
Its just a dust boot, right? Its not really sealing anything is it?

Thanks!
914Sixer
Its the side shift transmission cover. Your seal where the shifter selector rod comes out is leaking. Seal is about $3 most places. It is a pretty simple replacement in most cases.
timothy_nd28
What a beautiful looking underside! I agree, that shift fork seal is very easy to replace. The pushrod tube seals are not so bad to replace either. I tend to use the Permatex liquid formagasket in conjunction with the new seals, and had great luck doing so.
welcome.png
914itis
I just noticed that I am leaking there too, will take care of that during hybernation time.
wingnut86
If those are subwoofers suspended, then they are probably causing low-frequency vibration leading to dis-coom-bobulation of all the seals.

When you play "Baby Got Back", does the oil light stay on?

aktion035.gif

welcome.png
walterolin
Hello Eric,

Welcome the 'World. I live near Seneca Park. I'll send a PM with contact info, give me a call - I don't know anyone else here in Louisville with a 'teener.

Olin
Dave_Darling
Do the drips off of that cover stink like rotten eggs? If so, then they are gear oil. You'll find more of it inside the cover. There is a seal around the gear selector which can eventually start to leak. You remove the side shift console (two nuts hold it in, but drain the fluid first!) and drive out a pin to get the shaft out, then you can replace the seal(s?).

If the drips just smell like oil, chances are better that it's blow-back from the leaks further forward.

--DD
rhodyguy
if you have to fix the selector seal, note there is a small drain hole in the cover. reassem with the hole on the bottom. if the drain hole is currently on top there could be a gusher when you pull the cover off.

k
Cupomeat
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Aug 20 2012, 02:28 AM) *

Do the drips off of that cover stink like rotten eggs? If so, then they are gear oil. You'll find more of it inside the cover. There is a seal around the gear selector which can eventually start to leak. You remove the side shift console (two nuts hold it in, but drain the fluid first!) and drive out a pin to get the shaft out, then you can replace the seal(s?).

If the drips just smell like oil, chances are better that it's blow-back from the leaks further forward.

--DD

agree.gif
Dave's right (too bad he wasn't Dave Johnson, happy11.gif ), many trans drips are just from where the oil flew back when it dripped off the engine. Pull the cover and see if the smelly oil is coming through the shifter selector shaft.

Either way, clean it all up and do some leak investigation before tearing into anything.

Oh and if you can get your underside to look as good as the model you used, you are getting somewhere... I am jealous of that car and the exhaust...

ericoneal
Thanks everyone, I will sniff the oil leaks when I get home, and will probably be asking more questions as I get my hands dirty with a car for the first time.

Here is a picture of my orange bomber.

QUOTE(Cupomeat @ Aug 20 2012, 12:40 PM) *

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Aug 20 2012, 02:28 AM) *

--DD

agree.gif
Dave's right (too bad he wasn't Dave Johnson, happy11.gif ), many trans drips are just from where the oil flew back when it dripped off the engine. Pull the cover and see if the smelly oil is coming through the shifter selector shaft.

Either way, clean it all up and do some leak investigation before tearing into anything.

Oh and if you can get your underside to look as good as the model you used, you are getting somewhere... I am jealous of that car and the exhaust...

mstein95
welcome.png

Trim that tail pipe (its long to extend under the '75-'76 bumpers) your likely to bump a shin into it. Ask me how I know.

Sweet ride.
Spoke
welcome.png

Nice car.

BTW, it may not be advisable to suspend the car by the engine bar in your pic.

On each side the engine bar is bolted to the car with 2 small bolts. Most likely they will not snap but it is better to put the jackstands on the donuts on the chassis in front of the engine mounting points.
bigkensteele
QUOTE(walterolin @ Aug 19 2012, 06:16 PM) *

Hello Eric,

Welcome the 'World. I live near Seneca Park. I'll send a PM with contact info, give me a call - I don't know anyone else here in Louisville with a 'teener.

Olin

There are a few guys up in Oldham County. Dion9146 has a 3.2 conversion, if he hasn't sold it. There is another guy with that goes by Prospect Farms, who isn't too far from you either.

Last time I talked to Dion, he indicated that there were a lot of guys in the area. My parents live off of Bardstown Rd, but I never drive my car down when visiting since it really isn't made for a family of 4 sad.gif
76-914
agree.gif with everything mentioned above. And yes, it can blow back there from a temp sender leak. If it is the tranny seal then your cover has a hole in it or it's plum full and ready to dump on you when you remove it.
tomeric914
Hang on, it could be your backup light switch and/or seal too. The PO put the backup light switch in without the aluminum crush washer on my car, oil dripped down onto the top of the side shifter casting then into the cover making it seem like there was a leak from the shift rod seal when there really wasn't.
ericoneal
THanks everyone.
I took a long drive last night ( driving.gif ) , came home and wiped off the black box. It did NOT smell like sulphur or eggs, then I went out again a couple of hours later and there were no additional drops of oil on it, so I'm thinking its just blowback. Will keep an eye on it. My pushrods and oil temp seal are leaking like a sieve....

Click to view attachment
6freak
QUOTE(wingnut86 @ Aug 19 2012, 06:52 PM) *

If those are subwoofers suspended, then they are probably causing low-frequency vibration leading to dis-coom-bobulation of all the seals.

aktion035.gif

welcome.png

electric fans! just guess n
smile.gif
Bob L.
QUOTE(6freak @ Aug 21 2012, 09:05 AM) *

QUOTE(wingnut86 @ Aug 19 2012, 06:52 PM) *

aktion035.gif

welcome.png

electric fans! just guess n
smile.gif

agree.gif
That's not where I'd want sub's mounted. Great place for an oil cooler.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.