Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shake Down #1
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
phillstek
So, after many years and way too many dollars I got to drive it. Other than a quick blat around the block to make sure it was worth taking to the track, it hasn't been driven since '99.

With much anticipation we set out for Wakefield Park a small circuit 200 kms south of Sydney for an open track/test day. Wasted no time unloading the trailer and made the first street group run of the day.

After getting it warmed up on the first couple of laps I gave it some stick and while fun I came in feeling underwhelmed by the performance. On the main straight I had to wring it's neck in 3rd before a quick change into 4th and then back to 3rd for turn #1.

Through the technical section the car handled and braked really well and felt solid. The problem: the engine is a worn 2.4/6 pushing through an adapted 915. The ratios are all wrong. I didn't factor that in with conversion and it just doesn't cut it.

There is only one solution...time for a 3.2 Euro Spec biggrin.gif Had a great day just the same and ended up getting about 50 or so laps in.

Some pix at the track follow.
edwin
Looking good.
head room a little limited with the helmet? how tall are you?
Have been debating taking some time off work and getting the guys at custom bug and bus in penrith to tune mine. maybe i should so i can have a look at this.
Cheers
Edwin
FourBlades

Great looking car!

The projects just change once you can drive them but they never stop. smile.gif

John
mepstein
Congrats on getting it back on the road! smilie_pokal.gif
wingnut86
BIG Time Congrats.

WOW.

Great Luck.

first.gif
stuttgart46
You can get a lot out of that 2.4 if you tweak it.
Strudelwagon
Looks Great.....Only problem I can see is the steering wheel is on the wrong side happy11.gif lol-2.gif

Nice Car !
SirAndy
QUOTE(edwin @ Aug 20 2012, 02:34 AM) *
Looking good.
head room a little limited with the helmet? how tall are you?

agree.gif

You need to get your head under the rollbar.

If you still have stock seats, you can remove the cushion, that will easily drop you two or three inches.

driving.gif
Tom_T
Glad to see you got her out under her own power Phil!

Maybe gear & motor tweaking will wring more fun out of that 2.4? confused24.gif
......pending the 3.2 ES of course! biggrin.gif

Cheers Mate! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
OU8AVW
That car looks great!
phillstek
Thanks for the all the compliments on the car everyone.

Being 6'4'' and 200lbs I'm always going to look a bit "Mogilla Gorilla" in it.

The seats are GTS and apart from being considerably heavier than stock they are also a lot thicker through the base. I have them mounted on the stock rails atm but will remove them and mount directlly to the pan once the car is re-registered.

The 3.2 is definitely going to happen or maybe even a 3.6...that should be a little less underwhelming. The 2.4 doesn't have enough torque for the stock 915 ratios even with the car being small and light. It needs more grunt to get it to punch out of the corners.

Tom when are you going to get started on your car?
edwin
Makes sense with the gts seats being thicker. My big concern is I want to use them but am going with a steel roof which could be interesting for headroom.
Expecting any trouble for rego?
Edwin
gothspeed
Dang! great looking car beerchug.gif !!!! it sits 'just right'!!! ......... if you don't mind ....... I would like to know what wheel and tire sizes are those? ......... especially the aspect ratios .......... those sidewalls look just about perfect first.gif !!!
veltror
QUOTE(Strudelwagon @ Aug 20 2012, 05:15 PM) *

Looks Great.....Only problem I can see is the steering wheel is on the wrong side happy11.gif lol-2.gif

Nice Car !

I beg to differ poke.gif
phillstek
The "steering wheel on the wrong side" joke is getting pretty tired now stirthepot.gif

It's not the seats that are the problem it's me at 6'4" the seats themselves are very comfortable and look and fit great. Unless your'e a giant like me it's not going to be an issue for you Edwin. As far as rego is concerned, that shouldn't be an issue as car was originally registered as a 2.7 six in the late eighties.

Wheels and tyres are Fuchs 7x15/Yokohama Advan 205/50 and 8x15/225/50.
gothspeed
QUOTE(phillstek @ Aug 21 2012, 03:48 PM) *

The "steering wheel on the wrong side" joke is getting pretty tired now stirthepot.gif

It's not the seats that are the problem it's me at 6'4" the seats themselves are very comfortable and look and fit great. Unless your'e a giant like me it's not going to be an issue for you Edwin. As far as rego is concerned, that shouldn't be an issue as car was originally registered as a 2.7 six in the late eighties.

Wheels and tyres are Fuchs 7x15/Yokohama Advan 205/50 and 8x15/225/50.

Cool!!! Thanks for the followup on the tire sizes beerchug.gif !!

Feel free to post more pics of this beautiful teener ..... smilie_pokal.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.