Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front End Rattle -- Need Some Ideas [SOLVED]
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
solex
I have had this problem for some time but cannot determine the cause. The front end rattles particularly when the wheels are turned and I go over a bump.

I had the car jacked up and could not find anything that is obviously loose. I checked the wheel bearings an they are all good. The front dampers look like they can be replaced as they show signs of leaking (a while ago), but the front end is not bouncy.

Regards,
Dan
Van914
Sway bar
solex
QUOTE(Van914 @ Aug 20 2012, 09:45 AM) *

Sway bar

My car does not have sway bars
JStroud
QUOTE(Van914 @ Aug 20 2012, 06:45 AM) *

Sway bar

That's what was causing my front end rattle, bushings were shot making it loose and rattle. The other thing to look at is the steering rack cover if the seals are missing it could rattle, or maybe loose strut? Hope this helps.

Jeff
dlestep
Do you feel it through the steering wheel ?
Check the rubber interface between the shaft and steering box.
or you can check the cover on the shock. It could be jiggling.
Have you lowered your front end ?
solex
(1) The front end has not been lowered.
(2) I replaced the bellows on one side of the rack but assume that is not what you are referring to, so I will pull the bellows back and check
(3) I do feel it in the steering wheel and will check the rubber disk between the steering wheel and the rack, I assume I need to remove the tank for this?
(4) Will check the dampener covers as well

Thanks for the ideas gentlemen

Dan
matthepcat
You might want to try pulling the top strut sleeve off, and see if the strut collar(nut or whatever you call it) is loose.
SLITS
QUOTE(matthepcat @ Aug 20 2012, 07:46 AM) *

You might want to try pulling the top strut sleeve off, and see if the strut collar(nut or whatever you call it) is loose.

agree.gif
solex
This will involve removing the top of the strut correct?
SLITS
QUOTE(solex @ Aug 20 2012, 02:13 PM) *

This will involve removing the top of the strut correct?

Yes, unbolt at top and push it thru the rubber mount. Collapse the shock and pull out from underneath fender. Pull cover off an check shock nut.
matthepcat
Often you can just unbolt the at the top, tap the strut shaft most the way through the rubber mount, and that will give you enough clearance to lift up the upper strut sleeve to reveal the shock collar/nut .

A big set of slip joint pliers will give you enough torque to tighten it down without fully removing it.
solex
Thanks all, it was the strut collar, not sure why but the drivers side was loose, tightened down no more rattling in the front end..

In checking the dampers I noticed that the collapse about 3/4 of the way and then need to be compressed to the bottom. They are not leaking (boge) and they look good. Just wondering as all other struts and springs that I have dealt with need to be compressed as their normal mode is fully extended.

The front end does not bounce around so I'm thinking that the dampers are ok, what do you think?
Eric_Shea
Normal mode is fully extended on "gas pressurized" struts. Hydraulics can rest in any position. The fact that they collapse and then begin to compress would have me shopping for new inserts.
solex
will start shopping...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.