Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bright Switch activates Horn ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
solex
Activating the brights fires the horn, I check to see if there was anything obvious with the steering wheel removed but could not find anything.

Any ideas?

Regards,
Dan
Spoke
That's a feature for NY drivers to save time from flashing your lights and honking the horn when someone pisses you off.

JK

There's probably a ground wire loose somewhere or wires in and around the steering wheel need attention.
solex
Thanks Jerry, BTW I still have the Falkens on the steelies. Probably remove everything this weekend, I want to rekey the ignition anyway...
Spoke
Nice. Glad there're working out. Those Falkens are sticky tires. Chances are if you buy a medium to high mileage tire (harder tire) you will then notice a big difference in grip.
solex
Your right about them being sticky. At high speeds they smell nice...
r_towle
your switch could be busted or the wire for the horn is in the wrong place.

Take it apart...the wire for the horn is a ground connection that gets activated when you push the horn and touch a round contact.

There is a little button that touched the contact.

Something may be flexing, broken etc that makes that button touch when you pull the lever for the lights.

rich
solex
I bought a beetle turn signal switch from autohauz and the first one was damaged, just installed the second one and it does not work at all, in fact is causes the temp and gas gauge to jitter but they do not work also the generator light is on.

I'm going to clean up the old switch and return another.
SLKWrx
Had the exact same issue. The ground wire for the horn is touching the body of the steering column if memory serves. Re-run the ground and you're good to go.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Spoke @ Aug 20 2012, 03:54 PM) *

That's a feature for NY drivers to save time from flashing your lights and honking the horn when someone pisses you off.

JK

All youz guys are wronga! I'm going with diss one right hereaa! Special paart for NY! screwy.gif

av-943.gif
914itis
I must agree.
Horn back up button. One is never enough with these crazy drivers.

solex
QUOTE(SLKWrx @ Jun 3 2013, 07:54 AM) *

Had the exact same issue. The ground wire for the horn is touching the body of the steering column if memory serves. Re-run the ground and you're good to go.

Which wire would that be?

Thanks,
Dan
TheCabinetmaker
brown is ground on a "stock" 914.
solex
Sorry to be numb here but you all are referring to the wire in the steering wheel?

If I remove the wheel and start the car I should not have a problem?
Mike Bellis
Brown/white is the horn trigger
solex
Just to close this thread, the problem was one of the wires was punctured by one screw for the signal assembly. NY horn/bright switch has been disabled.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.