Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Should all injectors click when pressing throttle before starting?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rockaria
Hello Everyone,

I am trying to revive a 73 2.0 from a long period of rest (5 years). I am having some troubles and have search till I can't see straight. I am in the process of trouble shooting but have one question (for now):

I read that I should have 20 clicks from my injectors if I press the accelerator pedal to the floor slowly before starting.

Should all 4 injectors click? Right now only injectors 1 and 4 click, 2 and 3 do nothing. BUT, if I swap the wires from 1 to 2 and from 3 to 4 I get the oposite. 2 clicks and 3 clicks but not 1 and 4.

Is this normal?

73 2.0 Stock D-Jet FI.
Spoke
I think they all should click since the clicks when opening the throttle is equivalent to the carb acceleration pump. Sounds like one of your injector bank drivers is not working.

2 injectors fire together on the FI.
Cupomeat
Given the fact that the action changes when you swap the harness, I'd suggest you go thought and clean and reseat all the case grounds first as you might have an issue there, PLUS D-Jet is picky about grounds so it is good thing to get out of the way.

Good luck
TheCabinetmaker
Check your connection at the distributor for the trigger points. Use a multi meter to check if both outer pins of the trigger point connection have continuity with the middle pin.
McMark
No, only the set of injectors that is being 'activated' by the trigger points. I went through that pretty recently and learned.

If you rotate the engine (and thereby the trigger points) a bit you should switch to the other bank.
Rockaria
That makes sense. I will rotate the engine and check again, then clean the grounds and check the dizzy. I am making a list for the weekend. I was almost sure my harness was bad. I printed off Paul Anders D-Jet test pages and will slowly start to look for my problems.

Thanks everyone for your help.

QUOTE(McMark @ Aug 20 2012, 10:40 AM) *

No, only the set of injectors that is being 'activated' by the trigger points. I went through that pretty recently and learned.

If you rotate the engine (and thereby the trigger points) a bit you should switch to the other bank.

JeffBowlsby
The condition following the swapping of 1+4/2+3 indicates a trigger point issue.

FI ground issues are 1+2/3+4
Rockaria
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Aug 20 2012, 11:46 AM) *

The condition following the swapping of 1+4/2+3 indicates a trigger point issue.

Thanks for this info. It was my next question. So the trigger points fire the left bank of 1+2 and then the right bank of 3+4. Giving half the needed fuel each time? Right?

Who knows what I am up against. There were a few things not right on this engine when I got the car. I am beginning to think I may have a bad harness or FI triggers. I had it working perfectly and then it died. I cleaned the triggers and it worked for a while and then died again (Though I also checked the points gap and re-set the timing.) I am hoping it's something simple here. Most all of the parts are original 73 parts as far as I can tell.

I am trying not to just throw money at this...

Thanks again,
JeffBowlsby
No.

FI grounds tied together are 1+2/3+4. So if 1+2 or 3+4 are not working check their common ground point.

Trigger points control groups 1+4/2+3.

QUOTE(Rockaria @ Aug 20 2012, 12:10 PM) *

QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Aug 20 2012, 11:46 AM) *

Thanks for this info. It was my next question. So the trigger points fire the left bank of 1+2 and then the right bank of 3+4. Giving half the needed fuel each time? Right?

Who knows what I am up against. There were a few things not right on this engine when I got the car. I am beginning to think I may have a bad harness or FI triggers. I had it working perfectly and then it died. I cleaned the triggers and it worked for a while and then died again (Though I also checked the points gap and re-set the timing.) I am hoping it's something simple here. Most all of the parts are original 73 parts as far as I can tell.

I am trying not to just throw money at this...

Thanks again,

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.