Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dash Repair
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tom73
My '71 has a very bad dash. I have purchased a cap for the dash pad. But the vinyl part between the dashpad and the windshield is in very bad shap and has pull loose on three sides. I see that AA sells a repair kit, but what would be involved to install the thing? Looks like I would have to pull the dash. If so is there any instructions anywhere?

Or, is there another better way to make it look decent?

tom...
sj914
That part of the dash isn't really a pad. It's actually a piece of vinyl thats placed and tucked into the sides.
Red-Beard
Contact "Dr. Evil". He is in the business right now...
Tom73
So are you all saying it is not a complicated job?
sj914
The only hardest part about it is tucking in the section near the winshield.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(sj914 @ Oct 30 2004, 08:50 PM)
The only hardest part about it is tucking in the section near the winshield.

agree.gif , just did this whole thing. i used a piece of cardboard to tuck in the part under the windshield. 3m spray adhesive works well.
Dr Evil
If you need some interior stuff done, let me know. Chek the link at the bottom of my signature line.
HTH
a914luvr
I've done this job a few times and have always done it as part of a bigger restoration; replacing the dash and windshield. I don't see how one could do it without taking the windshield out. The dash comes out fairly easily with some patience and a short 13mm wrench. The vinyl between the dash and windshield is just plain ole vinyl. Buy the smoothest you can at any place that sells automotive upholstery. You'll also want to buy some 1/8" foam and some adhesive remover. As someone already stated, tucking/glueing the vinyl up by the windshield is the most difficult part of the job. You'll want to glue the foam to the dash, but don't glue the vinyl to the foam. Only glue the vinyl where it hangs over the foam as it tucks under the dash. I always try to glue it around the defrost vents too, but its hard to get the glue in there. Good luck!
skline
I will be doing mine when I pull the windshield out to replace it. Which will be soon, the car will be on the road next week for testing.
John2kx
My vinyl shrunk in one corner and actually pulled away from gasket at bottom of windshield. I saw no way to get a new piece installed without pulling windshield. Since I had a new dash and vinyl material, the lower gasket was going to be replaced since it had several cracks. There is no way to replace this gasket without removing the windshield.

I picked up my vinyl at a womens cloth store (Cloth World) for about $8. Enough to do at least 3 cars.

The end results were good but allot more work than I had planned for.

John
John2kx
nother
John2kx
Before
John2kx
Job completed. Not cheap but worth the effort. From memory, cost was about $1000 doing all the work myself.

-new dash $550 or so
-new chrome pieces for windshield $300 or so
-new gasket, windshield seal and molding clips, $75
-misc., vinyl, por 15, sanding tools, tape, shipping $75
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.