Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Trick to getting side window seals into targa top
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
hydroliftin
This seems like such a simple job that even I should be able to do it. I tried using soap to lubricate the rubber, and I was able to get it about 8 inches into the channel. After washing that off I tried silicone lubricant spray and was able to get the rubber a little further into the channel, but still stuck about half way. Anyone know the trick to getting these in?
SLITS
QUOTE(hydroliftin @ Aug 20 2012, 12:20 PM) *

This seems like such a simple job that even I should be able to do it. I tried using soap to lubricate the rubber, and I was able to get it about 8 inches into the channel. After washing that off I tried silicone lubricant spray and was able to get the rubber a little further into the channel, but still stuck about half way. Anyone know the trick to getting these in?

Did you check the rails for staking? At times they put the rubber in and use a punch on the side of the rails to stake the rubber in place so it doesn't move.

Otherwise, put one side in the channel and use a table knife or other dull instrument to lever the other side in.

Alternatively, as you try to slide it in, lubricate the leading edge with a lubricant of your choice. Inserting a rod or something under the flat section breaks the suction between the flat surfaces.

It can be done!
solex
As Ron has said make sure there are no dimples in the aluminum trim. I have never had any luck sliding any rubber in (that's what she said) I have a plastic trim tool that I use to lever in one side, works well on the window scraper as well.
montoya 73 2.0
QUOTE(SLITS @ Aug 20 2012, 12:30 PM) *

Otherwise, put one side in the channel and use a table knife or other dull instrument to lever the other side in.

That is how I did mine..
luskesq
Ditto on use of a tool and the stacking. I've found that a popsicle stick with end cut square works good for me. Doesn't cut into the rubber. A little silicone lube doesn't hurt either.

Keith
toadman
As far as using a tool, I have replaced several rubber channel-type seals on my 914 using a wallpaper seam roller. For me it had made these jobs much easier. Just be careful and, like the others have said, use a lubricant and make sure the channel is straight and clear.
shelby/914
We just did a set and used silicone on both sides and a large Snap on hook. Rock the curved portion back and forth and they were on in short order. Just stay away from the point.

Dan
JawjaPorsche
After paying a king's ransom for my OEM targa top seal, I took it to my body shop man and he got it in but it was not easy. (He let me watch and did not charge me more for watching. I kept my mouth shut!) He had the correct tools and expertise.
andys
Durring my now final assembly of my conversion car, I've done most of the channel typs seal installs. As Ron mentions, I too found staked areas which must be re-formed back to the original shape or the seal will never fit. It takes time and attention to re-shape it, but it's worth it in the end.

For a lubricant, KY jelly is what I've used for years. Unlike silicone, the KY (glycerine) is water soluble. Once you apply silicone, it's there forever. If you chose to slide the seal into the channel, lubricate the bottom of the seal so that it will glide over the screw heads. Again with the KY you can apply liberal amounts without fear.

Andys
jim_hoyland
Glycerin works great ! Pick up small bottle at almost any drug store.
ClayPerrine
I am NOT making a joke here...

Use KY Jelly to lube the seal and track.

NO JOKE.

It works.

messix
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Aug 21 2012, 10:43 AM) *

I am NOT making a joke here...

Use KY Jelly to lube the seal and track.

NO JOKE.

It works.

used the same to lube tight water ski bindings..... buying the "big tube of lube" with a couple of cases of beer with the guys and seeing the reaction of the check out girl is priceless! av-943.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.