Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Speaking of battery tray replacement
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
davidcalvin
Some tells me that it'll involve removing the engine, and a whole bunch of fab work and welding. Can anyone ballpark what I would expect to pay in cali for a job like this? 1k? 5k?

Thanks.

David
McMark
$450, and that's a quote.
tiim5
David check out what Mark did for my car. He replaced the battery tray, lower motor panel and rear trunk panel. Excellent craftsmanship, the car is now getting the final painting completed and Mark will complete the restoration. He really knows his stuff!

http://www.914world.com/members/markd/davi...a4/davila4.html
Rusty
David,

Most of the work is pretty easy. If all you need is the tray (and maybe tray support) replaced... you can do most of the work in two weekends.

Friday Afternoon: Pick up rental MIG welder & gas. Practice welding on some scrap metal.
Saturday AM: Drop drivetrain. Drink some beer.
Saturday PM: Clean engine bay & motor. Shower. Ignore the f*ck out of the Supersize Me thread, and order Chinese food! :finger2:

Sunday AM: Drill out spotwelds for tray and support. Clean welding areas. Prime with rattle-can zinc weld-thru primer.
Sunday PM: Use your rental MIG welder and weld in the tray & support. Clean welded area.
Monday Morning: Return MIG Welder

Saturday AM: Prime and paint area. Use POR-15 if you desire.
Saturday PM: Watch Speed Channel and surf the 914Club BBS.

Sunday AM: Go to Church
Sunday PM: Install engine. Hook up battery & drive around the block.

-Rusty smoke.gif
watsonrx13
agree.gif Just make sure you don't get in there and start looking around, oh, I can clean the glue off the firewall, oh, oh, lets clean the rear suspension...

Remember, when you're up to your A$$ in alligators, the original project was to drain the swamp. wacko.gif

Keep focused, replace battery tray and stand, no more, no less.... biggrin.gif
iiibdsiil
Two years later this thing will be back on the road...
morph
nice work mark.
McMark
Thanks! Watch for updates on Ed's car as it goes through the re-assembly process now that Brandon (blpenserini) has finished another amazing paint job.
Trekkor
QUOTE(markd@mac.com @ Oct 25 2004, 09:56 PM)
another amazing paint job.

agree.gif

It is BOLD.

KT
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.