Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 Camber adjustment
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ndfrigi
Hi, I have '75 914 1.8L and my rear wheel is in negative angle. Can some help me on how to adjust the camber and if you can show me some images where to adjust it.

Thank you and God Bless!
Rand
Rear camber is adjusted with shims between the outer mounting points.
But you said "wheel" singular...... If the passenger side is worse, you need to inspect the suspension ear (inboard mounting pivot) for rust damage!
ndfrigi
QUOTE(Rand @ Aug 20 2012, 10:38 PM) *

There are shims between one of the mounting points. But you said "wheel" singular...... If the passenger side is worse, you need to inspect the suspension ear (inboard mounting pivot) for rust damage!

I'm sorry! actually both rear wheels have exactly the same (looking from back of the car) negative position.
Can you help me by sending me some sites or pics of the location where I should add shims? In terms of rust, the suspension is very much clean and only few body rust only or maybe surface rust.

Thanks again!
Rand
Ok, that's promising. Good idea to check the ear anyway.

Try a search here for "camber shim" and I bet you'll find a useful thread.
ndfrigi
QUOTE(Rand @ Aug 20 2012, 10:43 PM) *

Ok, that's promising. Good idea to check the ear anyway.

Try a search here for "camber shim" and I bet you'll find a useful thread.

Thanks!
Rand
Here's SirAndy showing you what camber shims look like:

IPB Image

Here's where they go:

IPB Image

If you need shims, try Chris at Tangerine Racing.

Also note that saggy shock springs can cause this.
ndfrigi
QUOTE(Rand @ Aug 20 2012, 10:52 PM) *

Here's where they go:

Wow that is a learning ideas you have provided me. Yes maybe I should also consider replacing my shocks and with both rear wheel on the same negative wheel not really affect much of the driving accept the wear and tear of my tires.

One question, if I add shims and makes my rear wheels straighten, thus it give me more rooms to avoid the tires scratching my fenders? I have Riviera wheels with 185x65x15 tires on it but it touches my fenders specially during turns.
mittelmotor
QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Aug 20 2012, 11:10 PM) *

Here's where they go:

Wow that is a learning ideas you have provided me. Yes maybe I should also consider replacing my shocks and with both rear wheel on the same negative wheel not really affect much of the driving accept the wear and tear of my tires.

One question, if I add shims and makes my rear wheels straighten, thus it give me more rooms to avoid the tires scratching my fenders? I have Riviera wheels with 185x65x15 tires on it but it touches my fenders specially during turns.

Reducing negative camber may worsen the rubbing, as it'll move the top of the tire's sidewall closer to the fender lip. I'm squeezing 225/50-15s on the back of mine, and it requires neg. camber (removed all the shims) plus rolling the inner fender lip and pulling the fender out a bit as well. A pain, but I want to retain the narrow body look.

When these cars were built, tolerances of the chassis were none too tight, so you may find there's more room on one side than the other. On my 914, the right side was easy; the left, tighter by about 1/4".
ndfrigi
QUOTE(mittelmotor @ Aug 20 2012, 11:23 PM) *

QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Aug 20 2012, 11:10 PM) *

Here's where they go:

Reducing negative camber may worsen the rubbing, as it'll move the top of the tire's sidewall closer to the fender lip. I'm squeezing 225/50-15s on the back of mine, and it requires neg. camber (removed all the shims) plus rolling the inner fender lip and pulling the fender out a bit as well. A pain, but I want to retain the narrow body look.

When these cars were built, tolerances of the chassis were none too tight, so you may find there's more room on one side than the other. On my 914, the right side was easy; the left, tighter by about 1/4".

Well I guess I should really take in consideration replacing the shocks first but for the meantime I'll just drive it with negative camber. And yes mine also has lesser gap on the driver side compare to the passenger side.

Thanks again and God Bless!
SLITS
It's not the shocks that cause the negative camber, it's the springs. Over time, they weaken and sag.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.