Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WTB: HELP, Need a bearing in the transmission...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
naro914
It's the Intermediate Plate End Main Shaft Bearing for a 901 trans. We took apart the trans to replace the intermediate plate with a billet one, and this bearing fell apart.

does one of you transmission expert guys have one of these bearings?
wingnut86
Couple of used ones in a greasy bag south of you, outside Columbia.

Tag Dr. Evil...
naro914
QUOTE(wingnut86 @ Aug 22 2012, 02:59 PM) *

Couple of used ones in a greasy bag south of you, outside Columbia.

Tag Dr. Evil...

Are they in one piece and functional?
ArtechnikA
the 999 part number tells you that it is not a Porsche special.

Any bearing supply house should be able to match it on OD, ID, and thickness, although thickness may not be critical. 'Modern' bearings may have higher ratings than what was available 40 years ago, even if smaller.
brant
I was told by my trans builder that these are available again brand new

I don't know the source though...
brant
914werke
Was the failed one brass or steel caged?
wingnut86
Crap.

This one is the good one I have as a true spare (#5 in photo). The other bearings I have are for the pinion shaft further down.

The "Fragile Cages", as I call them are all in Swepco filled separate trannies.

I was going to take one of mine down to the local bearing supplier as well to find a "new" market replacement, at a lower cost.

I DO have a completely assembled 901 gear stack sitting on the bench, new sliders, and gear teeth where needed, including 1st gear, all new synchros and a CMS billet intermediate plate (without bronzed silicone shaft sliders). All clearances are tight and cal'd, but she's a 5-speed gear stack, not geared for racing.

Are you setup to check your pinion depth on your case and verify shimming and the sort if I swapped you the spare stack I have?

Caveat: Yours is probably a Hot Setup so it's not a reasonable swap idea...thinking out-loud while I type.

I haven't installed her in a tranny yet...she's sitting pretty under some nicely oiled shop rags on my metal work bench and 2X4s...

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Dave
tomeric914
It's not cheap

http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/smart/...71%29%2C%20Each

I Googled the number using dashes instead of dots

999-053-025-00
tomeric914
A little less here:

http://www.pap-parts.com/prodinfo.asp?number=999+053+025+00
tomeric914
Even less here:

http://www.partswerks.com/porsche-911-part...f0bbb45a81110cf
wingnut86
I bought a set from Parts Werks (cost more then I think), they are brass style cages but new. I never checked to see who built them, but they have been running in a tranny for a friend for over a year - so far so good...
naro914
Hey guys,
sorry, was away from my computer the past few hours. I found one locally so I'm good...

But, to answer a few questions, it/they were brass ...I'll explain.

So last year, I tore up a pinion gear on my stock geared trans, then shredded 4th gear on my short geared trans. So my mechanic, Lou Smith at Exclusive Motorwerks, took all the good parts from the two and rebuilt the short gear trans with new sliders and syncros. Ran it one weekend and all was great. But that's when I started thinking about installing a trans cooler (see thread http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...5&t=177277) and billet intermediate plate. I figured we've been destroying transmissions more than normal (330 hp will do that) so now was the time.

He took apart the trans, took out the bearings from the Intermediate Plate...and the brass housing fell apart into pieces. So, I figured I has a spare bunch of parts from what was left from the two transmissions and certainly had the bearing, but it too fell apart when it came out.

But he called me today and said he found one, so we're good.

thanks for all the help guys!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.