Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Looking for a air compressor recommendation
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
draganc
Hi guys,

I’m looking for recommendations for a new air compressor for my home work shop.

I’m looking for a unit that is capable of doing some painting, grinding, DA sanding, hence, around 60 gallons and around 11/10 scfm at 40/90 psi.

The unit will be used 1-2 per week, hence, I don’t need a full-blown pro model, but I don’t want to wait forever to build up pressure.

I checked Home Depot, Lowes and HF and their unites between $450 – 600. It looks like they are all the same, from a performance and customer ratings point-of-view.

What can you guys recommend?

Thanks,
Dragan
timothy_nd28
For painting, I had great luck with this
Click to view attachment

All the other air tools, I've been using electric
carr914
I like my Craftsman with the extended Warranty that has paid for itself.

Definately get a 2-Stage Unit
wingnut86
I scrimped and saved and bought an Ingersol Rand 220V/Type-30 I believe.

It's a dual stage unit. Northern had them on sale in 2010/2011. I haven't used it as much as I had hoped, but it runs the Scat Blast cabinet, multiple heavy air tools, including DAs and will blow out the garage at the same time if someone is cleaning. It's also quiet (I forget the ratings), easy to maintain and is better balanced on a concrete floor than I ever expected - still haven't placed the bolts in the holes I drilled in the floor, and I'm using the rubber foot pads as coasters for my cold drinks beer3.gif
shuie
I am just finishing up installing the 220V 60 gallon Kobalt from Lowes. I've read on some of the garage forums that a lot of them crap out due to irregular use or improper maintenance so I got the extended warranty. I don't have a truck either so it was convenient since they deliver.
draganc
Thanks a lot guys for the fast response!

@carr914, which craftsman model do you have?

What are the differences and benefits between single and dual stage?
JmuRiz
Just be sure to get an oil lube'd compressor, not an oil-less.
Brian_Boss
QUOTE(draganc @ Aug 22 2012, 07:30 PM) *

A two stage is just what it sounds like. One cylinder (or pair of cylinders) compresses air from atmospheric pressure to around 90psi. The discharge goes to the second cylinder(s) which compress the air further. I think mine is 175psi.

The advantages are more cfm for a given HP and more air in the tank for given size (because of the higher pressure).

Only disadvantage is greater cost.

If you have the budget, I really like Quincy. Made in the US and should last a lifetime in a non-commercial application.
yeahmag
Not that I like it, but I've beat the living crap out of my large, single stage Sears compressor. I've had it for 10 years and have yet to kill it. It is a cheap option for us hobbyists. That being said I would upgrade to a 2 stage in a heart beat if I could afford one.
draganc
Thanks for all the inputs!!

It's a bit out of my price range but I like the the higher CFM for potential sand blasting.

What do you guy think? I never heard of brand "MAX Air":

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores...75522%2d%5f%2dN

FourBlades

Not a comment on max air, just in general:

I have yet to see any 120 V compressor that is really adequate for blasting or
running air tools. You need a 240 V or you will be frustrated.

John
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(draganc @ Aug 23 2012, 02:20 PM) *

Thanks for all the inputs!!

It's a bit out of my price range but I like the the higher CFM for potential sand blasting.

What do you guy think? I never heard of brand "MAX Air":

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores...75522%2d%5f%2dN

Looks like a 3 stage. Nice compressor for the money. A commercial 3 stage compressor will be 3-4 times that cost.
draganc
what do you guys think about those garage hose system with wall mounted outlets?
carr914
QUOTE(draganc @ Aug 22 2012, 08:30 PM) *

Thanks a lot guys for the fast response!

@carr914, which craftsman model do you have?

QUOTE(Brian_Boss @ Aug 23 2012, 11:51 AM) *

QUOTE(draganc @ Aug 22 2012, 07:30 PM) *

A two stage is just what it sounds like. One cylinder (or pair of cylinders) compresses air from atmospheric pressure to around 90psi. The discharge goes to the second cylinder(s) which compress the air further. I think mine is 175psi.

The advantages are more cfm for a given HP and more air in the tank for given size (because of the higher pressure).

Only disadvantage is greater cost.

Brian really explained the Stage Deal.

Also get a Oil Lubed vs an Oil-Less. Will last longer & Much Quieter

My Craftsman (don't know the Model off the Top of my Head) is a 60 Gallon 2Stage 220/240 Volt, it gets right up to 160psi ( the Limit I put on it). Since I have a Small Garage, I poured a Small Slab on the outside of the Garage, mounted the Compressor and then built a Shed around it to protect it from the elements.

I got a great Deal on it. Someone had bought it, took it home & realized it was 220/240. They brought it back without ever using it. Sears put it on Special as a Demo. I kept going in (not far from my house) and they finally lowered the Price to $325 ( think it Retailed for $700). Bought it and the Warranty. About 2 Years in, it started making a weird noise. Called Sears and they sent a Repair guy out. He ordered the Parts & came back the next week. The Cost ( to the Warranty Co was $575 in Parts plus Labor) to me was Zero. After the Warranty was out, Sears offered me another 3 Years @ $120 so I grabbed it. So I'm about 6 years in & still under warranty.

Whatever you get, make sure you get a Moisture Filter System as it will save your tools and allow you to Blast & Paint. Always Oil your Tools & drain the Compressor Tank when you are done for the day. Failure to drain the tank can cause moisture to sit at the bottom of the Tank and make it Rust from the inside out

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.