Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ruff is now doing v8 conversions?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
messix
so they finally caught on how to really make power! happy11.gif
stuttgart46
I finally had some time to sit down and read the article last night. Sounds more like a modern Ferrari V8. 550HP without much tweaking could be loads of fun. Not to mention that it came in lighter by over 80 lbs than the 6. RUF is a mad scientist and I love every minute of it.
JmuRiz
Now that's a V8 I'd actually put in a 914 wink.gif
matthepcat
With the way the Cayenne's are depreciating, doing this out of your garage is not far off.
GeorgeRud
Actually, has anyone actually measured to see if a Cayenne V8 would fit? It would be a very interesting swap, though I cannot imagine what a nightmare the electronics could be unless the entire dashboard was swapped out as well.

Interesting thought however.
monkeyboy
I'm sure if there is a demand there will be a stand alone controller.

That's what makes the LS Swaps so easy. You can get the computers for them anywhere...
stuttgart46
IIRC there are a couple of Cayenne powered Boxsters running around on the west coast.
BKLA
QUOTE(matthepcat @ Aug 23 2012, 08:11 AM) *

With the way the Cayenne's are depreciating, doing this out of your garage is not far off.

Unfortunately, the early Cayenne's V8's don't last well, beyond 100k (At least the 2004's - according to my Porsche mechanic buddy...) and they don't rebuild well. Factory replacements only...
paroxysm
What you need is the vr6 powered Cayenne, then get the adapter plate for the audi/passat/boxster transmission bolt them together, and have your self a modren vwporsche drive train.
maf914
Is the Ruf V-8 actually based on the Cheyenne V-8 or isit a Ruf in-house design. I have the magazine but haven't read the article. I find I sometimes don't read the articles about new models that are completely out of my price league, which means I skip a few articles in Excellence. confused24.gif

Regarding the Cheyenne V-8, remember the Action Express Riley Daytona prototype won the 2010 Daytona 24 Hrs with a Porsche Cheyenne V-8 based engine built by LBP, Lozano Brothers Porting. Apparently Porsche did not sponsor or approve of the use of the engine, since they were pushing the 4.0 liter flat six cylinder for the Rolex series, and, although they stated they congratulated the team, they did not use the victory for promotion in any of their advertisements as they usually do. biggrin.gif
monkeyboy
It's a totally new RUF design.
rohar
QUOTE(BKLA @ Aug 23 2012, 10:46 AM) *

Unfortunately, the early Cayenne's V8's don't last well, beyond 100k (At least the 2004's - according to my Porsche mechanic buddy...) and they don't rebuild well. Factory replacements only...

That's not completely the case anymore. They are nickasil/alusil so boring/honing the cyls is not an option. Aftermarket pistons, rings and bearings are available that will work without fouling. As long as the bores are smooth, you can rebuild.

Porsche and Audi refuse to touch them though. Crate replacement only by their rules.
rohar
QUOTE(paroxysm @ Aug 23 2012, 11:41 AM) *

What you need is the vr6 powered Cayenne, then get the adapter plate for the audi/passat/boxster transmission bolt them together, and have your self a modren vwporsche drive train.

IPB Image

IPB Image

What's that you say? poke.gif
paroxysm
Yes I saw that thread on vortex as well, but won't having a porsche vr6 keep you all legal for pca events?
btw mines running a 16valve lysholm g60 with soon to be audi/passat tranny.
BKLA
there was a W8 for sale locally recently. Seems that would make a sweet engine for a teener... big oil pan tho... Engine seemed not much bigger than the audi V6

But they wanted big bucks for it.... $3500.00
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Aug 23 2012, 08:40 AM) *

Actually, has anyone actually measured to see if a Cayenne V8 would fit? It would be a very interesting swap, though I cannot imagine what a nightmare the electronics could be unless the entire dashboard was swapped out as well.

On our current Wide body Sheridan race car build, the space is adequate for the biturbo cayenne v8. The deep oil pan is the problem with ground clearance.
The stock pan doubles as an oil reservoir for the dry sump.
We made a short oil pan, external oil tank and pump, and we have excellent ground clearance.
The engine block has been upgraded with steel sleeves, and larger pistons, now a 5.0.
Look for a build thread in a few months! Marty
rohar
QUOTE(paroxysm @ Aug 24 2012, 09:50 AM) *

Yes I saw that thread on vortex as well, but won't having a porsche vr6 keep you all legal for pca events?
btw mines running a 16valve lysholm g60 with soon to be audi/passat tranny.

VR6 engine = no PCA points. Depending on your local group, you may or may not be able to run.

If it can be done with a 12v VR6, it'll work with a Cayenne VR6. The turbo might get a bit complicated.

Turbo VR6 in a 911 = hit the gas all day, and just don't worry about maintainance.
Andyrew

Cayenne with a LS1 sounds promising smile.gif Hell you could probably mate the whole engine/trani to it, add a custom driveshaft and have a nice RWD tow vehicle! How cheap can you get those cayennes now?
Woody
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Aug 24 2012, 12:08 PM) *

QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Aug 23 2012, 08:40 AM) *

On our current Wide body Sheridan race car build, the space is adequate for the biturbo cayenne v8. The deep oil pan is the problem with ground clearance.
The stock pan doubles as an oil reservoir for the dry sump.
We made a short oil pan, external oil tank and pump, and we have excellent ground clearance.
The engine block has been upgraded with steel sleeves, and larger pistons, now a 5.0.
Look for a build thread in a few months! Marty

popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif
BajaXJ92
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Aug 24 2012, 02:49 PM) *

Cayenne with a LS1 sounds promising smile.gif Hell you could probably mate the whole engine/trani to it, add a custom driveshaft and have a nice RWD tow vehicle! How cheap can you get those cayennes now?

High mileage Cayenne's can go for $12K, which is DD Boxster range and cheap enough to experiment with if you've got the kiwi's to do so.

I'd love to see an LS motor in a Cayenne, but leave that up to the guys at Renegade to experiment first. biggrin.gif
a914622
I think it would be easier to uncork the v10 tdi that came in the VW body! More boost , unplug the exhaust and your probably real close to RUF in tork..

I think the panamra comes in diesel in europe. Thats the one Ruf should be messing with drooley.gif

jcl
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.