Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: So, how was the susp.class at SSI?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jeroen
Got any big stories or 'nasty' pics to share?

cheers,

Jeroen
Gint
Must still be goin on...
Brad Roberts
I just got home.

The class wasnt much of a class. We had the wrong torsion bars and the wrong shocks.

The car has 88 Carrera front suspension and he was sold the wrong torsion bars, even though the guy said they would fit a 914/6 (bullshit) I tested them in a 4cyl adjuster cup and they slid right in. (6's and 911's are different for those of you following along at home)

The shocks where a oversite. He ordered for his 9146 which uses a internally threaded shock collar. Later cars (Carrera's) use a externally threaded strut. Soo.. no shocks. I pulled it all apart and spent a couple of hours installing the new Smart bar. Everything went smooth.

I finish it when the shocks and bars come in.

B
J P Stein
Hey, shit happens.
I just put my new sport inserts in their strut housings.
Got em' both done and went in to have dinner.
That's when I realized that I had put the full lenght bump stop in also......sigh.

Now don't get all het up, Brad. I've got the old ones boxed up to send to Bilstein.......they are really bagged out.....maybe un-fixable. I even have Bilsteins ph#, so's I can talk at em'. The good news is that the new ones fit tightly in the housings.
Bleyseng
Hey, I thought the class was fun. Typical owner supplied parts job, meaning the wrong parts. We stood around watching Brad try to install all the wrong stuff. I bought the torsion bars off Olav since they fit my car and not his. The swaybar set up install went really well though, great set up. Mostly we watched and tried to help. Olav has a beautiful six and I was hoping to get a chance to drive it. Too bad its not going anywhere for a couple a days. DD took pics as we went along maybe he'll post em soon.
Geoff
Brad Roberts
The anti-roll bar install went very smooth and turned out very nice. My eyeball alignment of the mounts left the bar spinning in your fingers (no drag on the bar). I love the Smart bar.. I'll push them until I puke.

B
olav
At least I had the correct rear shocks. smile.gif

Just the fronts shocks and the torsion bars were wrong. I forgot about the fact that I upgraded to an 88 Carrera front suspension in my excitement of getting new shocks.
As for the torsion bars, oh well. The're going to be put to good use.

:toilet:
ChrisReale
I want to see pics of the smart bar install. I want one baaaad. pray.gif Brad showed a few of us at JP's how they attached to the a-arm, but my eyes glazed over just looking at the bar blink.gif . They do make them in 22 or 23mm, which would be my choice.
Dave_Darling
Sorry, I don't have a whole lot of pics. Actually, when I left at ~5:30, B was still working on installing the mounting plates on the inner fender wells. So I didn't get to see that much of the sway-bar install. sad.gif Oh well.

I'll have to download the pics from the camera (later today I think) and then upload them here.

--DD
Dave_Darling
Okay, kiddies, here we go... Gonna be a big download for those who are bandwidth-impaired!!

Note the boo-boo on the fender lip. This was caused by the tire rubbing the fender when the steering wheel was turned and the car hit a bump.

--DD
Dave_Darling
Next, a pic of the rear wheel.
Dave_Darling
The victim....
Dave_Darling
Uuuuuup she goes!!
Dave_Darling
Bending down the washer so we can remove the upper strut retaining nut.
Dave_Darling
The washer and nut in question.
Dave_Darling
The rear end of the torsion bar, with adjuster. (The adjusting bolt has been removed.)
Dave_Darling
Torsion bars, new and old. (Sadly, the new ones had 19 splines while the old ones had 23...)
Dave_Darling
The fuel tank compartment. A few years worth of dirt and grime... Olav decided to do something about that!!
Dave_Darling
You can see the ventilation intake pretty well here...
Dave_Darling
Olav removes the windshield washer bottle as Andy looks on.
Dave_Darling
You can see the original 914-6 windshield washer pump and hoses in this pic!
Dave_Darling
...And the results of Olav's work--a (mostly) clean fuel tank compartment!

...And that's all the pics I have. sad.gif
ChrisReale
Thanks Dave! The tank compartment looks much better all clean.
olav
Another no tanker...
olav
no right wheel.
Porsche Rescue
Never seen the front of a 914 jacked like that. Tell me where the jack is making contact with the car.
ChrisReale
I was wondering the same thing. boldblue.gif
Bleyseng
On the lift reinforcing plates, where else did ya think? I don't think Olav wanted big dents in his floorpans.......
Geoff
Porsche Rescue
Not where the jack stands are (lift reinforcing plates, donuts, etc). I'm looking at the floor jack on page 1. It looks like the jack is under the front valance.
mskala
I'm also curious as to what are those metal pieces just inboard of the
shock towers, I have never seen a 914 with those. Of course, they're
probably mostly hidden by the tank, but still I've had tanks out before
and not seen that curved piece.
Mark S.
'70 914-6
dgw
Mark,

You're not talking about those pieces of carpet glued in there for the tank to rest on, are you?
olav
Mark,

I believe those are where the front factory oil cooler lines would have gone if the car was a GT.
Dave_Darling
The car was lifted by the front torsion bar mount. That supports a good portion of the weight of the car and is one of the standard lifting/supporting points.

Mark, I think the curved metal pieces you are referring to are just the ends of the bulkhead that goes in front of the gas tank. They were painted black on Olav's car for some reason, I'm not sure why.

--DD
Brad Roberts
I cant figure out what Mark is talking about.

All the sixes I have ran across have been painted black around the shocks towers and bulkhead. I have NO idea why Porsche did this, but they did it on 911's also. (Black strut towers) its a sound deadening or undercoating.

99% of the time I use the round jack plate to jack up the 914's using the factory jack points. I have 2 plates and both of them where in the race car trailer 1.5 hours away. Soo.. the next best place is right on the torsion bar "skid plate"

B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.