Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: busted stuff
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
suttree
Hello all. I've been hiding out here for a while but have finally begun work on putting my 914 back on the road. I immediately ran into a problem though (well a few problems but this one I can't get past). The conical screw that attaches the bent shift rod to the head shift rod was very tight and I managed to strip the allen hole. I then managed to break an extractor off in the hole. biggrin.gif so, I've got that going for me, which is nice. Any advice on getting the thing apart? I have had no luck getting a drill bit to bore through the remainder of the extractor.

Thanks,
Clifton

Click to view attachment
PanelBilly
Buy a new car

I'm not the smartest at fixing these things, but I'd start sawing off the fitting. An air saw would make it easier and harbor freight sells one pretty cheep
r_towle
two ideas, one is for you to do it yourself, the other is take it somewhere to a machine shop.

Both ideas, I would suggest you take out the housing from the transmission and put the shifter and housing out together...get them to a drill press, or at least into a vice so you can work right side up.

Take a grinder, flatted out the top part of that screw/extractor so you can get a good punch in the center of the problem to start a decent hole.
You can then use a left handed drill bit made from cobalt to get it out.

Start at a small bit, less than 1/8 inch,
Center punch the problem exactly in the center.
Start working your way up in bit size.

This whole process requires patience or you can ruin the threads that you really want to save at the end of the process.

Rich
suttree
Cool. I will get the assembly off and to a grinder and drill press. Thanks for the quick response.
billh1963
Make sure the transmission is in neutral when you pull the shift console
suttree
Pulled the console earlier today (with the transmission in neutral, thanks for the reminder billh) We ground the broken extractor down and found that we didn't have anything hard enough to punch a center mark in it. So it goes to the machine shop tomorrow.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.