Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I'm lost and need some help
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
adam_wakeley
This is kind of lengthy, but I want to ensure I give an accurate description of all details I'm aware of.

The 914 I am working on for a friend of mine had been previously worked on by another guy who didnt finish. So I am picking up the pieces and trying to move forward.

The previous guy had converted to dual weber carbs from fuel injection on this 2.0 with a hexbar linkage kit. He also swapped the original distributor for a brand new non vacuum unit from pelican. It also has a condenser which original did not. I have set basic dwell per Haynes manual. Side note, I'm getting shocked every time I touch negative side of coil. Have never seen this on any of my other vehicles.

I have got engine back in car and driven probably 30 miles off and on. Car runs real good when running. When i park it and try to start it hot it will not start. The starter, battery, and coil are all new. I have bypassed the seatbelt warning system. Car will crank a few times, but very labored and still not fire. I have fuel, spark, and air. I have found TDC marks and timed engine a few degrees BTDC, but nothing exact. With engine at TDC per impeller/flywheel marks, the dist. rotor points at #4 cyl. and #1 plug wire. Valves have also been adjusted per Haynes manual.

I know this is probably not related, but when leaving a stop in first gear there is a few very loud bangs as car drives away. I noticed the swaybar links need replacement as one is missing but cannot figure that this is my problem. I have replaced all shift linkage bushings, as well as ball cup and shift rod head since they were completely missing. New bolts in driveshafts as well and they are tight. All trans mounts are good shape and tight as is the front engine mounts.

If I think of anymore details I will include them, thanks for any insight, and sorry for being so long winded.

Adam headbang.gif
JawjaPorsche
I was going to say check your valve adjustment but you already said that. You have come to right place. There are a lot of smart people on this forum me not Included. Good luck.
sixnotfour
body to engine ground
GeorgeRud
Is the transmission ground strap connected and are the connections clean? Often it gets forgotten, and you're trying to ground the engine by a very few, small points.

After all these years, the original starter circuit is also getting weak and may need replacement. You could try checking is you're getting a good 12 volts to the starter solenoid when you're cranking. Some folks have added a solenoid to directly connect the starter to the battery, so the original circuits only have to energize a small solenoid rather than the one on the starter.
ellisor3
agree.gif I went round and round for a week, replaced everything and then discovered the ground strap was not connected well.
Dave_Darling
The loud bang noises are likely sheared engine mounts, if this is a 73+ side-shifter. That's what my 74 did, at least.

How's the fuel pressure?

--DD
type47
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Aug 26 2012, 06:59 PM) *

How's the fuel pressure?

doesn't he have carbs? ... but fuel pressure is important with carbs...
adam_wakeley
I am sure i installed ground strap when I installed engine. But I guess it won't hurt to double check when I get home. I do have carbs, and the fuel pump is a new one that is suggested by Pelican for carbs. One thing that had me thinking after I gave up last night was that I think I remember an extra stud on the new starter. Could this possibly be for a ground? Seems like most of the ones I've dealt with ground through the housing of starter. I will check all your suggestions after work today. May "over ground" everything just to rule out grounds.

Thanks for all help so far,
Adam
adam_wakeley
You guys were dead on with the ground strap. Seems like when I installed engine I remember thinking next time im under the car it needs to be attached. Well guess I didnt remember the next time.

Still no idea on the banging. Seems like could possibly be cv joints? Only happens in first and second gear under slightly heavier than normal acceleration. As said before, all mounts are good and have new hardware.

Adam
Dave_Darling
Check the motor mounts again. They can look fine but be sheared completely through--trust me on that. Try jacking up on the engine; it shouldn't move much at all. Mine lifted right up...

--DD
76-914
Grab the drive shafts and try to slide them length wise. If it makes a noise when sliding them then replace the CV. Probably an inner one.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.