Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front trunk cable and engine deck lid cable GB
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mikey914
I snapped the cable on my front trunk so had to do up one figured I'd do up a few. To sweeten the deal figured I'd package it up with the engine deck lid one. i do have the bases and knobs if you need them too.

Please note the cable for the front trunk is seporate from the guide tube. I took some cable sheeth and an stop to fix mine. I do have some extras if you need them too.
Pricing for GB only-
GB both cables $25
front sheeth and stop $12
Engine deck lid base $5
Engine deck lid pull $5
Shipping $5 priority mail

Just PM me and I'll get you the info
SirAndy
The cable is one thing but what breaks all the time is the crappy plastic sheathing for the front trunk.

Can you provide a better solution for that?
idea.gif
Mikey914
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 26 2012, 09:56 PM) *

The cable is one thing but what breaks all the time is the crappy plastic sheathing for the front trunk.

idea.gif

Yes, the cable I'm providing is not brittle like the OEM, you can replace it too if you wish. That's why I included the option to add it in.
-Mark
PRS914-6
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 26 2012, 08:56 PM) *

idea.gif

The outer sheath is the main reason the trunk is so difficult to open. It's too soft and the inner cable digs in and drags. I replaced mine with a motorcycle inner and outer throttle cable and I can open the trunk easily with one finger. Replacing both is a good idea.....
Mikey914
8 sets left
mharmon
I'll take a set
ptravnic
PM Sent
Mikey914
5 left
andys
QUOTE(PRS914-6 @ Aug 27 2012, 05:22 AM) *

The outer sheath is the main reason the trunk is so difficult to open. It's too soft and the inner cable digs in and drags. I replaced mine with a motorcycle inner and outer throttle cable and I can open the trunk easily with one finger. Replacing both is a good idea.....

Paul,

I'm assuming the MC throttle cable you used is the stranded type, yes? Did you buy a length in bulk, or for a specific application? Where the jacket stops against the steel tube, did you use the barrel adjuster to keep it centered (axial) to the tube? I've used bicycle brake cable for lots of other assorted projects, but it's probably too large a diameter to fit the 914 cable clamp.

My stock jacket looks perfect from the outside, and the cable is equally in good condition, but it takes way too much effort to un-latch the front trunk. I'm ready to make a change.

Andys
PRS914-6
QUOTE(andys @ Aug 28 2012, 07:36 AM) *

QUOTE(PRS914-6 @ Aug 27 2012, 05:22 AM) *

Paul,

I'm assuming the MC throttle cable you used is the stranded type, yes? Did you buy a length in bulk, or for a specific application? Where the jacket stops against the steel tube, did you use the barrel adjuster to keep it centered (axial) to the tube? I've used bicycle brake cable for lots of other assorted projects, but it's probably too large a diameter to fit the 914 cable clamp.

My stock jacket looks perfect from the outside, and the cable is equally in good condition, but it takes way too much effort to un-latch the front trunk. I'm ready to make a change.

Andys

Mikeys idea sounds good if it has a stiff outer sheath. I tested this extensively with new and old components and found that the new factory OEM outer sheath is so soft that the cable drags terribly when pulled.

The motorcycle cable is braided and flexible and I simply made the ends and silver soldered them on. Good silver solder and a ox-acetylen torch mandatory!

The difference in operation is stunning but much more work than this kit.

Mickey, what's your outer sheath made out of?
Rbcm2005
I'll take one of everything! (and the chrome window trim if you have it????)
FL000
PM sent - thanks!
914coop
PM sent.....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.