Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Smokey Oil Leak....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
MikeM
Hi guys...I just paid a ton of money to have my pushrod tube seals replaced along with a valve adjustment. When I got it home, there is just as much smoke from the engine compartment as there was BEFORE!!! I'm going to take it back obviously, but where else should I look for a leak? Guys at the shop tell me the oil cooler seals look fine. I'm pretty sure something is dripping onto the heat exchangers and burning. Very, very frustrating....
Thanks,
Mike
VaccaRabite
Start the car on ramps.
Lay down there with a flashlight and start looking.

It could well be that all that smoke now is the existing oil/tar burning off the exchangers, and the smoke will go away. Or you could be leaking from elsewhere. With the car idling, start looking for drips. You should be able to see them.
Zach
914itis
agree.gif
matt5596
I've been chasing a similar smokey oil leak. I suspected valve cover gaskets - replaced but still smoking from heat exchanger area. I can hear it sizzling but I can't see any drips. headbang.gif
mrbubblehead
heres my suggestion, which i just had to do recently to locate a pinhole leak. clean it up real well and sprinkle baby powder in the suspected area while its running. fresh oil is kinda hard to see. powder it up and look for the wet spot....LOL
MikeM
OK....lol.
Jgilliam914
mr Bubblehead that should work for this application! I have never thought of that but however I have heard using it for similar applications av-943.gif
mrbubblehead
QUOTE(Jgilliam914 @ Aug 28 2012, 11:13 AM) *

mr Bubblehead that should work for this application! I have never thought of that but however I have heard using it for similar applications av-943.gif

it does work....its a little messy. but i would rather clean up baby powder once than have oil leaking every day.
mrbubblehead
QUOTE(mrbubblehead @ Aug 28 2012, 11:16 AM) *

QUOTE(Jgilliam914 @ Aug 28 2012, 11:13 AM) *

it does work....its a little messy. but i would rather clean up baby powder once than have oil leaking every day.

oh i get it.....! it is the same principle that you are thinking of....
where do you think i got the idea beerchug.gif
76-914
Remember to check the oil pressure sending unit.
MikeM
Yes, I tried to check it but don't seem to have a deep socket that fits down there.
Do you know off hand what size it is? I'm thinking maybe 20 or 21mm?
Mike
mrbubblehead
its 15/16 deep socket. if it was my car, i would be real nervous about trying to tighten it. i would go ahead and remove it and reseal it. with my luck, i would try tightening it and the damn thing would break. the i would be dead in the water.... headbang.gif headbang.gif
Cap'n Krusty
"Reseal it"? It's a pipe thread, and needs to be grounded, as well. NO sealant, EVER. You shouldn't need a socket to see if it's leaking, just look at it with the engine running.

The Cap'n
mrbubblehead
do you have an idea where it is leaking from? front of the engine? back of the engine? above the cylinders or below. unfortunately oil tends to travel especially with the car running. the wind from the fan pushes it. does it drip only when its running/under pressure? what if it sits for a few days? still driping?
mrbubblehead
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Aug 28 2012, 01:11 PM) *

"Reseal it"? It's a pipe thread, and needs to be grounded, as well. NO sealant, EVER. You shouldn't need a socket to see if it's leaking, just look at it with the engine running.

The Cap'n

YUP! reseal... never ever had a problem with not grounding.
MikeM
Well, I've just spent about an hour under the car and I can't find any oil leaking at all. Possibly it was just the residual oil from the pushrod tube seals replacement.
I doubt I'm that lucky however. I've been fighting with this thing all summer.
Thanks for the advice.
Mike
mrbubblehead
fingers crossed
MikeM
To answer your question about where it leaks...I can't see where it's leaking but I get alot of smoke out the top through the engine lid grill.
Frustrating....
Mike
76-914
Mike, it can take awhile for the oil to burn off. If you want to expedite this process take a few rags and mop up the oil that is setting in the channel on top of the HE then drive it for 30 min's. That should burn any remaining oil off. BTDT
mrbubblehead
QUOTE(76-914 @ Aug 28 2012, 02:06 PM) *

Mike, it can take awhile for the oil to burn off. If you want to expedite this process take a few rags and mop up the oil that is setting in the channel on top of the HE then drive it for 30 min's. That should burn any remaining oil off. BTDT

agree.gif hose the heat exchanger down with brake cleaner will help too.
MikeM
I have cleaned the heat exchangers really well. The guys at the shop that did the pushrod tube seals gave it the brake cleaner treatmen as well.
Here's hoping it will stop smoking after a few drives...
Mike
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.