Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1972 914 V8 - steel flared 914GT look
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WANTED: 914 Cars and Rollers
wildvpssd
1972 Porsche 914 V8 cover car for the January 2010 issue of Retro cars magazine, entitled Concealed Weapon. This car was built to look like a 914/6 GT….pure and simple.

IPB Image

IPB Image

The car started life as a sunburst yellow life-long California 1972 914 with a 1.7 litre engine. Note the car still retains its original blue California license plate. The car was purchased in 2009 and stripped down to bare metal, interior removed, glass removed, engine removed, and the body refurbished. Minor rust under the driver’s seat, battery tray and longitudinals was repaired with metal (cut out and weld in new sections). The entire car was then soda blasted in preparation for what was to come.

Once the car was prepped, the real work began, starting with a set of steel 914/6 GT flares. The front and rear fenders were cut to fit and the flares butt welded to the body for superior strength and durability. A full 914 competition stiffening kit was added for strengthening and reinforcement in anticipation of the horsepower to come. Bodywork was preformed to smooth the flares into the flowing lines of the body. You’ll also note the side markers on the front fenders were removed and smoothed for better lines (front Euro turn signals).

IPB Image

The bumpers, both front and rear, are light weight fiberglass 914/6 GT reproductions. The front valance is also a 914/6 GT fiberglass reproduction with the opening slightly enlarged to allow more cooling air through (originally for an oil color, now a radiator). The side rocker panels are fiberglass and are flared nicely at both ends to seamlessly blend in with the lines of the steel 914/6 GT flares. After final surface preparation, the body was sprayed in Guards Red, including all doors, door jambs and the rear trunk.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Much thought was given to the engine choice – flat six versus hotrod V8, with the ultimate decision being a V8. The V8 was chosen for economical reasons as the total cost was significantly lower than a comparable flat six (such as a 3.6L) conversion with similar HP. The motor chosen and installed is a 1968 327 cu inch V8 block from a Chevrolet Chevelle (5.36 L) rebuilt to a medium level – moderate horsepower but still with an eye to longevity and using pump gas (more or less Corvette spec) with Keith Black 10:1 forged pistons, Vicor manifold, Holly 750 cfm carb, Uni-lite distributor, reworked heads, mild Comp-Cam camshaft, steel crank, and Heddman headers. To keep the engine as short as possible to fit into the 914 engine bay, a Mopar crank pulley arrangement driving a custom industrial water pump mounted low and to the side of the engine allowed keeping the motor tidy and short, only approximately ½” longer than a Porsche flat-six. Output is estimated at 325-350 HP. The motor is coupled to a stock 914 side-shifter (later style) 5-speed transaxle via a Kennedy Engineering adapter plate and clutch assembly. Fuel pump is a 911 electric model. You will also note the car has the 916 style engine cover – mesh over the entire surface, not just ½ as is the case with a typical 914… The battery remains in its original position on a new tray. Exhaust is twin center-mount GT40 style 2” pipes.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

As the 914 was an air-cooled vehicle, provision was made for the V8’s liquid cooling. Water cooling is handled by an aluminum radiator, mounted in the front compartment in an aluminum housing with Gates Green Stripe brand virtually indestructible rubber houses transporting the coolant to the mid-engine power plant. A 3300 cfm full-time electrically driven fan ensures operating temperatures remain between 160 and 180 degrees Fahrenheit at all times. Cooling air intake is through a central opening in the front bumper/valance and ducting out either side of the front compartment and onto the front brakes.

IPB Image

IPB Image

A complete 911 SC front suspension including brakes has replaced the stock setup with Bilstein coil-overs, 200 pound springs, and boxed trailing arms completing the rear suspension. Rear rotors have been re-drilled to 5-bolt 911 pattern. Power is delivered to the pavement using 7x16 and 8x16 Fuchs replica wheels with 225/50 and 245/45 Fusion VR Tires (~ 2000 miles on the tires). Ride height has been lowered to European standards. New master cylinder, caliper seals, bushings, and joints ensure plenty of “whoa” to go with the “go”.

IPB Image

IPB Image

The car weighs about 2300 lbs, only about 200 lbs more than a stock 1.7L with most of the weight being centrally located.

The interior has been redone in a grey color faux leather (vinyl) with a charcoal Perlon carpet (incl rear trunk). There’s a bit of stretching on the upper corner of the driver’s seat just below the headrest but not tear, just a discoloration. The dash has also been redone (sewn) in the same material.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

The dash has been modified with a few interesting updates – a new speedometer calibrated to the V8 as well as a pair of gauges housed where the original pull-out ashtray was originally housed – a oil pressure gage and a coolant temperature gauge. Immediately below those gauges, you will see a pair of silver switches, one turns on the electric fuel pump and the other turns on the electric fan for the radiator. To the left of the Prototipo steering wheel, there is a push-button starter (still requires key in ignition). The seat belts are competition type and there is an upper targa brace installed behind the headrests that runs side to side for improved rigidity.

IPB Image

Starting the car is simple, turn on the fan and fuel pump switches, pump the gas pedal several times, turn the key, push the start button, and the engine springs to life. It is a bit cold blooded at first as there’s no manual choke though one could easily be installed. It takes a couple of minutes to warm up to the point that it will idle un-attended and settles in at a 750rpm rumble. A quick blip on the throttle and there’s absolutely no question that this isn’t your typical 914! I’ve had people come up alongside of me at a stop light and ask me what’s hiding in the car – subtle it is not. They just nod their heads and smile when I tell them.

The transaxle in the 914 was built to handle under 100 HP in a 914 and slightly more in a 914/6 so with the V8 installed, it needs to handle 3x what it was invisioned to handle. In particular, 1st gear is rather fragile and is therefore not used. Second gear is used to start the car rolling. Dumping the clutch on a V8 powered 914 with the original transaxle is asking for trouble so driving entails smoothly engaging the clutch and when fully engaged, you can press the fun pedal for some spirited acceleration. On the road, the car is a rocket…..in the literal sense. Not explosive, but when you floor the throttle, the thrust is astonishing. You don’t get the Slam-Bam acceleration, rather, a push in the back as if a stage-2 rocket has just fired…..and it doesn’t let up until the driver does. Turn is sharp and instant, and handling is perfectly neutral with no vices whatsoever.

Make no mistake, while this is a very fun car, it is likely not your daily driver. It is stiff and bumpy roads are well, bumpy. A Lexus this is not. You sneeze and your arms move and you can change lanes on the road. And, its hard not to put your foot into the gas and have lotsa fun. Keep in mind, this is a 40 year-old car – highly refinished but it’s not today’s high-tech technology…..this is a hot-rod. Its not a trailer queen; its a good-looking driver that attracts attention. While the paint is a really good 3 footer, there’s a light patina of use upon closer inspection….rock chips on the nose, a couple of dimples on the front hood from the shock spindles being too long (subsequently cut down), a tiny crease on the passenger’s door (not sure how that didn’t get noticed prior to painting – no paint damage), a tiny rub spot between the engine cover and the rear deck lid (have a new bracket to weld on so that can be adjusted out). Some of the bright trim isn’t as crisp as it was originally, dinged and scratched – I’m being pretty picky here but that’s how I look at the car. Most of the rubber is pretty good, a few places have seen some better days though nothing to worry about unless you plan on driving in a hard rain for hours. Top fit is pretty good at the tops of the windows, not perfect but serviceable. With all the reinforcing, there’s no sag in the doors and the doors/quarter panels line up well. The door handles and windows can be a bit cantankerous. Door panels have been off and on and off and on and the windows will not consistently roll down smoothly. They need some “help” on occasion. The door handles on the outside work fine but the releases on the inside don’t. Electrical all works except windshield wipers. They have never been wired. The motor assembly and arms etc. is all there but I do not know if the motor is good or bad. Everything else is hooked up and works – headlights, turn signals, brake lights, flashers, radio etc. There is no ventilation system (other than windows and taking off the targa top) and no heat (not really needed in California). There is also no emergency brake. No surprises.

IPB Image

I have a few parts I’ve been accumulating….a passenger side mirror, better condition chrome sail trim and a replacement black vinyl sail kit and trim – not sure if I really like the red painted sails or the original black vinyl sails – but have all that’s need make that change if desired. A car cover is also included. There’s probably a bunch more that I’m not remembering but I think that’s all of the important stuff.

Looking for $13,000 for the car. You can contact me at 310 428 7068 or via email at wildvpssd at yahoo dot com. Thanks for looking, Craig
BajaXJ92
This car reminds me SO much of my V8 car.

Those that knew my old car will understand.

Aside from that, if I had $13K, I would own this car tomorrow.

Thats a lot of fun for $13K right there! first.gif
matthepcat
I saw an article on this car some time back. Looks clean. Definitely worth the money, and a great platform for someone who would want to install a different water-cooled engine.

Good luck...and post on e-bay. Seems to take forever to sell V8 conversions on this board.
Mike Bellis
I've seen this car in person. It is very nice! Great attention to detail. Well worth the price!

Andyrew
Nice looking car! 13k seems low for a well sorted car like this.

relentless
Why would you put so much effort into this car only to sell it? Nice, nice job btw! unsure.gif
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(relentless @ Sep 2 2012, 11:59 AM) *

Why would you put so much effort into this car only to sell it? Nice, nice job btw! unsure.gif

He is building a 911 RS clone...
westtexass2k
Bump for a cool car. It seems like a really fair price. If I wasnt building my sons car i would jump on this.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.