Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How Do You Fill Up Your 914?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
iiibdsiil
When you are pumping your gas, and the thing clicks, do you have to pull the pump head out a couple inches and continue, or am I just retarded? If so, has anyone came up with a remedy for this?

Also, how many gallons it is supposed to hold? I have filled it to the brim before when I wasn't paying attention, I think I got 14 out of it, but it wasn't fully empty. I could be mistaken though.
Aaron Cox
IIRC its like 16 gal. yeah, the vapor recovery thing sucks.

BTW- how are those door locks holding up?
iiibdsiil
Still haven't gotten the hold of it. I am in my own apartment now, so I know for sure if anyone is here. Lol. At the new house at home though, there are wooden floors, so they creak a little, and my mom always knocks now, ever since her and her boyfriend started going out, she wants me to excercise the same respect, because I have a habit of not knocking either.
TheCabinetmaker
As per owners manual;
Tank capacity: 16.4 U.S. gal.
Joe Bob
Just had the same question on the little penis board.....yup....gotsta pull it out and skin it back to completely fill it up....

I once put 16.1 gallons in....I was coughing and spitting when rolling into the station.....
Carlitos Way
QUOTE(mikez @ Oct 25 2004, 04:16 PM)
Just had the same question on the little penis board.....

I hate to hijack the post but... WTF is a little penis board?
Joe Bob
911..... <_<
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(cmolina @ Oct 25 2004, 06:21 PM)

thats where slits, and mike z met wacko.gif :finger2: beerchug.gif
Joe Ricard
Ah that is too funny.

Mississippi ain't got no fore skin pumps so if I'm traveling I can fill it to 1/4" of the rim. Other wise about a gallon after the click. The click here usually shows only 3/4 tank. Yes my gauge works fine.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Oct 25 2004, 06:52 PM)
Ah that is too funny.

Mississippi ain't got no fore skin pumps so if I'm traveling I can fill it to 1/4" of the rim. Other wise about a gallon after the click. The click here usually shows only 3/4 tank. Yes my gauge works fine.

i just manually lift the EPA crap up and fill it to the brim
Allan
All I can tell you is don't fuck with Slits!!! biggrin.gif No but really, I only put abo8ut 5-7 gal. each time because I'm not willing to pay the piper. I will trailer it first. God my cast stinks!!
Joe Bob
QUOTE(acox914 @ Oct 25 2004, 05:34 PM)

Never met the guy...we are evil twins seperated at birth so that we can abuse you from two different locales...... :finger2:
mikerose
Last night

On the way home RED lite on Then coughing then roll to a stop. Put in 11.9 gallons WTF 16 gal my foot
Yack.gif
Joe Bob
Either you didn't fill it all the way up...or ya got 3 gallons of rust int there.... ohmy.gif
mudfoot76
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Oct 25 2004, 08:52 PM)
[...] Other wise about a gallon after the click. The click here usually shows only 3/4 tank. Yes my gauge works fine.

Mine works fine and does the same thing. I take the fuel nozzle out in order to top the tank off. It will fill right to the brim, a little over 16 gal...
mikerose
QUOTE(mikez @ Oct 26 2004, 06:54 AM)
Either you didn't fill it all the way up...or ya got 3 gallons of rust int there.... ohmy.gif

No rust clean very clean in side. clap56.gif
Hi_Fi_Guy
Just an FYI.

If you are running a 914 with F.I. do not be tempted to "top-off" the tank. A little fuel can get into the carbon filter (aka charcoal cannister) each time you top off and eventually ruin it requiring removal or replacement (especially in smog test states). You will know when it is ruined because there will be a constant smell of gas.

This happened to my wife's Jaguar XJ-6 and has happened to several people on Porsche Pete's Boxster Board and is apparently a common problem with F.I. cars and people trying to get that last few drops of gas in their tanks every time.
phantom914
QUOTE(acox914 @ Oct 25 2004, 05:34 PM)

So it's located in Corona?

Andrew
porschefool
So THAT'S why my XJ6 smells like gas inside?
I thought it was a fuel line, but couldn't find a leak.
IIRC, last time I filled it up I tried to top 'er off...
Damn.

No smog in my county, guess I'll bypass the canister and see if that helps.

<_<
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(mikerose @ Oct 26 2004, 06:53 AM)
Last night

On the way home RED lite on Then coughing then roll to a stop. Put in 11.9 gallons WTF 16 gal my foot
Yack.gif

Sounds to me like you have the lines reversed on the bottom of the tank. There is a raised tube on the return line that will keep the last 3 or so gallons from being used if your suction line is hooked to it.
Hi_Fi_Guy
QUOTE(porschefool @ Oct 26 2004, 07:43 AM)
So THAT'S why my XJ6 smells like gas inside?
I thought it was a fuel line, but couldn't find a leak.
IIRC, last time I filled it up I tried to top 'er off...
Damn.

No smog in my county, guess I'll bypass the canister and see if that helps.

dry.gif

The charcoal cannister is about $700 installed at the dealer. You can buy the part and do it yourself for about 1/2 that. Fixed all fuel-smell problems and the engine ran noticably smoother with a bit lower idle. Plus, the car EASILY passed emissions by a huge margin.

The fuel tank on an XJ-6 is presurized so simply removing or bypassing the cannister may not be a smart option. Check the jag lovers site, I am sure someone there could advise.

best,
propricer
Attached is a pix of a guide / filler I made for my 914 years ago ... I know it looks like dung but it works.

Standard ABS from the hardware store 2 x 1-1/2 where the lip on the small spout has been cut in half for clearance.

Good luck ...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.