Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: GT engine lid and rain trays
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rbcm2005
So we are interested in installing a GT engine lid on our project because we like the look and it gets HOT where we are so thinking that the extra ventilation would help. However... it also rains here and we are guessing that Porsche didn't go with rain trays just for the fun of it.

What is everyone doing with regard to their rain trays when they install these GT lids?

CHEERS!

drunk.gif
monkeyboy
They don't drive their cars in the rain...
Eric_Shea
No rain tray.

Are you using a 911 motor? If so, the stock air cleaner is good for keeping rain out. There are Watersheds as well.

If not, and you have carbs, you'll want to use some type of rainshed cover (I think Appearance & Performance use to fab these out of fiberglass?). The stock FI air filter should work well enough but watch for heavy rain and any instance.

That or... don't drive it in the rain. wink.gif

IPB Image
mrbubblehead
i have a gt lid. carbs and rain hats. honestly, when your moving the engine doesnt get wet. just when your stopped does it get wet. i also cover mine with the 914 umbrella when i park it. rain or shine.
ConeDodger
No driving in the rain. But I did use rain hats when I had carbs. Now I have aftermarket fuel injection and I have four individual air cleaners. So, I don't drive it in the rain... biggrin.gif
ottox914
GT lid, no rain tray, big honk'n intercooler between 2 ITB'S. IAT'S go up by 10-15 degrees from the lid being on vs being off and totally open. I wouldn't have thought it would make that much difference, but it does.
VaccaRabite
No raintray on mine. Don't drive in the rain if I can avoid it.
That said I am considering going back to stock so I can drive the car more often.
Zach
RON S.
QUOTE(monkeyboy @ Aug 28 2012, 11:14 AM) *

They don't drive their cars in the rain...

wink.gif Definitely avoid the rain if at all possible...
stuttgart46
I didn't drive mine in the rain but I got stuck at Sebring one time in a deluge. I grabbed a plastic garbage bag and threw it over the engine while it was parked (and had cooled down). It worked just fine.
JmuRiz
QUOTE(ottox914 @ Aug 28 2012, 12:27 PM) *

GT lid, no rain tray, big honk'n intercooler between 2 ITB'S. IAT'S go up by 10-15 degrees from the lid being on vs being off and totally open. I wouldn't have thought it would make that much difference, but it does.

Otto, if it's OK to put a turbo intercooler there under the GT-style lid...would it be OK to put an external oil-cooler under there to help keep a 2.7/6 cooler...along with the standard on-engine cooler.

On-topic: I'll just try not to drive mine in the rain...and will probably use a stock-ish airbox on my conversion if I decide to go carbs.
SLITS
No rain tray ... /6 conversion ... driven in rain and snow when it occured ... no problems
Scott S
A few years ago we had a major rain storm hit half way through our local PCA concours. It came down in buckets. I got nervous about my GT grill/water. I ran over to where they were serving food and grabbed about 6' of saran wrap and wrapped the thing up. worked like a champ to get me home.
kfish914
I am working on a 2.7 conversion and I plan on making my own out of fiberglass partly molded off original tray fo fit around stock FI
The idea will be to use magnets to hold it in place and store it in the rear trunk when it is not needed
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(mrbubblehead @ Aug 28 2012, 11:22 AM) *

i have a gt lid. carbs and rain hats. honestly, when your moving the engine doesnt get wet. just when your stopped does it get wet. i also cover mine with the 914 umbrella when i park it. rain or shine.

I have a GT lid, carbs and unfortunately no rain hats. I drove home from Rte. 66 in a driving rain storm and the engine most certainly got wet regardless of how fast I was going. I avoid driving in the rain because of that and also because people in California (at least the southern part) do not know how to drive in inclement weather. happy11.gif
MoveQik
QUOTE(SLITS @ Aug 29 2012, 08:51 AM) *

No rain tray ... /6 conversion ... driven in rain and snow when it occured ... no problems

Thank you Slits. Let's hope it doesn't rain at RRC. Half these Nancies won't go. happy11.gif
Eric_Shea
Nice trailer sister...
MikeSpraggi
No rain tray. I have and will drive it on the track in a light rain.

Click to view attachment
pete000
My 70 914-6 No rain tray.

My 74 914-4 Rain tray removed.

The three days a year it rains here in southern California I don't drive the 914s...

The more air to the engine the better !

MoveQik
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Aug 29 2012, 08:50 PM) *

Nice trailer sister...

That was so 2010. I flat tow now. bootyshake.gif
ottox914
QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Aug 29 2012, 10:01 AM) *

QUOTE(ottox914 @ Aug 28 2012, 12:27 PM) *

Otto, if it's OK to put a turbo intercooler there under the GT-style lid...would it be OK to put an external oil-cooler under there to help keep a 2.7/6 cooler...along with the standard on-engine cooler.

On-topic: I'll just try not to drive mine in the rain...and will probably use a stock-ish airbox on my conversion if I decide to go carbs.

I'm no expert on a 6 cyl install, but I would think no on the engine bay oil cooler. Here's why. I know of a guy who did PCA track days in a bone stock 2.0 914. He had engine bay oil coolers (2) mounted to the far left and far right under a open single grill lid, no rain tray. And he cooked several motors before going to a front mount. This could be an extreme example, but at speed he was discharging enough heat from the coolers, the engine fan took it in and blew it over the cyls, causing more heat in the oil, more heat into the engine compartment, and the circle never ends. There must be a reason there is tin to separate the upper (cooling) and lower (hot exhaust) sections of our motors, 4 or 6 cyl. I think the intercooler works for me because the incoming air from the turbo is not nearly as hot as the oil, so not as much heat added to the system. The open grill GT lid, and the fact that the car is used for autocross, (shorter runs) help too. Len's heads that flow like CRAZY, and a much better than stock cam help keep temps down and stable. I have noticed that even with the open GT lid, my intake air temps run 10-15 degrees higher with the lid in place VS running with no lid at all. So even with all that mesh, less cooling air is getting in, and less hot air is getting out. I haven't tried to add some ducting from the IC to the lid, to better direct air flow. I may have to try that some day. The IC does have a plenum and sucker fan on the back of it, to pull as much air thru it as possible. Not sure if you would be considering this for your oil cooler set up or not. Without the plenum and fan, I don't think there would be nearly as much flow thru the cooler. I've been thinking of a removable, tall, 1980's F1 style scoop that I can mount on the targa bar when I'm at an autoX to provide some ram air intake for the intercooler. It'd look a little silly on a street car, but would be kinda funny on sundays... Could be a fun winter project.
pcar916
No room for a rain tray, daily driver, no worries, and I drive in rain all the time. That was true even with the previous 2.7L and carbs with steel rain hats. I like low maintenance machinery.

Water will only stop you if you have electrical problems like corrosion at the connectors and bad insulation, such as 993 engines that need a wiring harness recall. As long as all of your connectors are sealed and you have guarded the intakes from water all is well. Porsche has always raced in the rain.

Build the car into an all-weather machine and towel out any standing water (like in the hell-hole space) when you can park the car. With that approach and even if you choose not to drive in the rain, then you'll still have done more to stop corrosion that most folks will do.

Of course whenever possible, the car should be garaged or car-covered when not is use. If I'm at an event where I can't get under cover for "some time" then I'll at least cover the engine compartment. Frankly cleaning the compartment of dust is a bigger pain as far as I'm concerned.

I totally agree that oil cooler(s) in the engine compartment are not a good idea, especially since there is a ton of unutilized space in front of your right rear tire.

Click to view attachment
rstover
QUOTE(mrbubblehead @ Aug 28 2012, 01:22 PM) *

Could you explain what a 914 umbrella is or show a pic
seanery
914 Umbrella

Perry makes these 9146986 here in the world.

Here ya go: This is a good link

IPB Image
rstover
QUOTE(seanery @ Aug 30 2012, 08:12 PM) *

914 Umbrella

Perry makes these 9146986 here in the world.

Here ya go: This is a good link

IPB Image

Thank you
mrbubblehead
i use my umbrella daily.
larryM
nobody mentions wet distibutor problem - it CAN happen - needs to be protected from water

i now have K&N rainshields,

also have made a flat filon full-width panel that i fit under the lid when i wash the car or have to store it outdoors

yrs ago - managed to get thru 2 weekends of rainy SCCA school by fashioning a temp cover of foil for the dizzzy & using cheap foil baking pans over carbs
mrbubblehead
QUOTE(larryM @ Aug 31 2012, 01:36 PM) *

nobody mentions wet distibutor problem - it CAN happen - needs to be protected from water

i now have K&N rainshields,

also have made a flat filon full-width panel that i fit under the lid when i wash the car or have to store it outdoors

yrs ago - managed to get thru 2 weekends of rainy SCCA school by fashioning a temp cover of foil for the dizzzy & using cheap foil baking pans over carbs

could you post up a picture of the flat panel you use?
gothspeed
QUOTE(pcar916 @ Aug 30 2012, 09:15 AM) *
..............................................................................................................................

I totally agree that oil cooler(s) in the engine compartment are not a good idea, especially since there is a ton of unutilized space in front of your right rear tire.

Click to view attachment
+914 beerchug.gif .............that is exaclty where I am gonna put my extra oil cooler .......... maybe put a fan and some 1/4" screen to protect from rocks ............ that is the factory oil cooler location of the 930S .... smile.gif
jsayre914
i drive my 2.0 4 in the rain and snow 365 days a yer with D-jet, it pours rain and I have never had the rain tray, no problems running or starting. I have never experienced the wet distributor problem either.

I also have the umbrella, but I drive to often to use it. driving.gif

p.s.
Its really fun to drive in the rain, its great practice too. I have spun my car more than once, and brought the tail end around more than once. Its better than RED BULL

pps. I am a safe driver, I just find opportunity for drivers education.
JmuRiz
That fender-well cooler is neat, hadn't thought about that location.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.