Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New whirring sound coming from engine
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Joseph Mills
not quite "correct". biggrin.gif

Only happens when the engine is cold. I'm pretty sure it's the alternator.

Anyone else have an alternator that is occasionally noisey?

I assume it's a bearing. Do I just let it go? Or will it screwup the unit even further?

Do I just have to replace it with a rebuilt unit? unsure.gif
TheCabinetmaker
Your alternator bearing is going out. PITA to replace.
Allan
agree.gif It may be a bearing. The alternator is a likely source. wink.gif
TheCabinetmaker
Joseph, do I need to come down with my sthetiscope? Do I hear a road trip coming up? smilie_pokal.gif It's been a whole week since the ramble! biggrin.gif
Joseph Mills
QUOTE(vsg914 @ Oct 25 2004, 07:08 PM)
Joseph, do I need to come down with my sthetiscope? Do I hear a road trip coming up? smilie_pokal.gif It's been a whole week since the ramble! biggrin.gif

Ha! Still got the Tour Monkey on your back don'cha! biggrin.gif

Me too. I did a "cruise" with the VW folks last weekend to the Rt. 66 museum. Friendly folks that luvs their volks! wub.gif

So do I replace just the bearing, or the entire alternator? wacko.gif

And cost will be....???
TheCabinetmaker
Replace the alternator. I have one waiting to picked up from my rebuilder. $85.00. He builds them guud!

I took another tour as well this weekend. Had a very nice day with the bartender from the WaterZ edge!!!! rolleyes.gif wub.gif wink.gif smilie_pokal.gif

How about a Talimena drive tour in the next few weeks?????????
Joe Ricard
most altenator repair shops can doa bearig and test the entire unit for less than that. I had my 928 alt rebuilt with new volt regulator for 75 bucks.
Our volt regulators are not even on the alt. I think the remove replace effort is fairly easy. and can be done while engine is still in the car.

Loosen the fan tension binder bolt pull the belt. 2 bolts and it is out. one on top that holds bracket to fan housing and the pivot bolt at the bottom. pull the plug at the circuit board and bam on the ground. Oh don't forget to disconnect the battery.
Joseph Mills
QUOTE(vsg914 @ Oct 25 2004, 07:26 PM)
I took another tour as well this weekend. Had a very nice day with the bartender from the WaterZ edge!!!!  :rolleyes:  :wub:  ;)  :trophy:

How about a Talimena drive tour in the next few weeks?????????

Did you go wide and deep in the curves? biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Talimena Drive? Mongo likes very much. monkeydance.gif

I think I'll wait on the alternator until it keeps making noise even after it is warm. biggrin.gif
TheCabinetmaker
Most alt shops replace only the parts necessary to get the unit to minimum output specs. Paul is a bosch authorized repair point and builds them to better than factory specs. He also builds high torque starters.
Curvie Roadlover
When I heard a whirring coming from my engine compartment, a stethescope diagnosed my noise as coming from the distributor. A couple of drops of oil down the shaft stopped it. confused24.gif
Joseph Mills
Thanks Tom. I'll check that out tomorrow.

One can always hope. biggrin.gif
Qarl
Maybe the gerbils got a hold of some coke and are working overtime!

w00t.gif
Joe Ricard
Although it could be something in the fan or rubbing it the wrong way. just throw a gerbil in the cooling fan It's like a turbo charger.
Joseph Mills
QUOTE(Qarl @ Oct 25 2004, 08:49 PM)
Maybe the gerbils got a hold of some coke and are working overtime!

w00t.gif

Maybe gerbils do coke in Florida Quarl, but around here they would most likely get into some Moonshine. biggrin.gif

Can someone, with experience, please describe the sound I should listen for from drunk gerbils in a type 4 cooling fan. rolleyes.gif

I gotta' get to the bottom of this.
Root_Werks
Well, if your Gerbils are doing coke, they will have a tendecy to fall off leaving work for the others, so you might notice a loss in power from time to time. If they are drunk, each time you pull up to a stop sign listen closely as you might hear a "burp" once in a while.

That is about the only way I know to tell the difference. Either way, get them into re-hab asap so they continue to give you many trouble free miles. driving.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.