Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: BUILD-OFF CHALLENGE: 1972 barnfind
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
injunmort
finally starting the restoration of my 1972 barnfind 1.7l adriatic blue 914. the car has been off the road since 1988 and seemed well cared for before being put up. the rust did not seem too bad. it turns out that it is rusted worse than i thought, very fixable just more than i hoped. also the front right was sectioned as well. the car ran well and drove fine before i started the rust abatement.
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
started to sandblast the longs last night and the tip in the blaster broke. more to come this weekend.
ConeDodger
Be sure to check out John (Fourblades) thread. His car is mostly made of welds and his side yard is fertilized with rust! evilgrin.gif

Oh, and his car now looks great! biggrin.gif Good luck!
FourBlades
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Aug 29 2012, 08:37 AM) *

Be sure to check out John (Fourblades) thread. His car is mostly made of welds and his side yard is fertilized with rust! evilgrin.gif

Oh, and his car now looks great! biggrin.gif Good luck!

Ha ha, that is so true!

Your car looks very fixable. Mine was truly a flintstone mobile where your feet
could touch the ground.

Joe at Series9 is nearly done with my Electromotive EFI conversion so it will be
a fearsome four cylinder soon.

John
TargaToy
Best of luck with that. Glad to see another being saved.

Barn finds are generally very cool.
injunmort
thanks for the encouragement. i do follow the imsa resto and the rockin resto was one of my inspirations.
injunmort
finally been welding and making progress http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/av-11604.jpg then this showed up
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/photo-11604.jpg
Dr Evil
Cant wait to see it in June.
injunmort
this is the thread I started 3 years ago, not too much has changed. hope the buildoff challenge will give me the proper incentive.
AndyB
It better or I will take a 3 hour trip south. slap.gif
injunmort
QUOTE(AndyB @ Oct 1 2015, 11:34 AM) *

It better or I will take a 3 hour trip south. slap.gif

anytime, and if you need blasting cabinet or use of press come on down for a tech weekend
Vysoc
What a beautiful blue, best of luck in the build off!!!

Vysoc / Yellow Submarine flag.gif
injunmort
thank you
brettrarnold
hey hey,

Progress is looking fantastic and the rust looks identical to mine. I am planning on cutting in the exact same location. I have fiberglass fender flares and trying to not cut into them. I assume I just keep the piece that I cut out and reweld back in once I get the rust remediated. I am going to be visiting your thread as I start cutting into my rust here shortly.

Keep it up!
-Brett
injunmort
good luck on your build brett. I will be posting pics of work done today when my IT girl gets back from the grocery store.
injunmort
Click to view attachment
started to finish up closing long today
injunmort
I am having a lot of trouble posting pictures but will try again, rough fit the last patch to close up the long
injunmort
Click to view attachment
fitted this and welded it today
injunmort
Click to view attachment

finished closing long now onward
injunmort
nov update: finished up welding inner long and suspension console repairs. still having trouble posting pics but will try again tonight. in the mean time I have taken parts car apart for the fuel injection and harvesting parts and skin for grafts. all is moving along.
rick 918-S
Any up dates? popcorn[1].gif
injunmort
yes i have done a fair amount just waiting for new computer so i can add photos. closed up the long, welded in new jack plate, finished welding firewall and fitting new shelf. got sidetracked replacing engine in my dd with a 73 1.7l i had laying around. turned into a big while i.m in there, but almost ready to reinstall and hopefully have functioning heat in the car.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.