Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Odd ignition key and Cylinder
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
'73-914kid
Well, I'm slowly crossing off my list of things to do to the 914 before school starts back up, and have come to getting one key to work for everything in the car. Currently the lock key works the door lock and the rear trunk, and I have a completely different key for the ignition. What is the tumbler from? it is a locksmith special? The plan is just to replace it with a used 914 lock/tumbler assuming I can find one. Here's to hoping they didn't mess up anything in the steering column when they put it in...

IPB Image
IPB Image

Has anyone else ever found a setup like this in their car before? Thanks in advance
MLedesma
I have that exact same ignition cylinder and key. Came on a 75 parts car I picked up.

I would like to know as well.
markb
It looks like a newer VW/Audi key & switch. I think the wafers in the tumbler are wider than what is used on our cars. I have a couple of extra 914 ignition switches I could sell, and some new keys, if you need them.
Cevan
Here's the key for my '75.

Click to view attachment
ClayPerrine
The original style lock cylinder was discontinued by Porsche, and was replaced with a VW cylinder that fits the steering column, but the keys don't match and never will.

Your best bet is to find a proper Porsche lock cylinder, and change the door locks to match it.

Send me a PM, I think I have one I can send you with the key in it.

Drums66
.....I have the proper key blanks, if needed? idea.gif
shades.gif bye1.gif
SLITS
To me it's just a '75 - '76 setup that takes a different type of electrical switch.
TheCabinetmaker
I have that same lock and key for my 75. I bought them at the vw dealership. I think it was for a rabbit. Been a while.
Drums66
QUOTE(SLITS @ Aug 29 2012, 01:14 PM) *

To me it's just a '75 - '76 setup that takes a different type of electrical switch.

.....In my opinion, it's just the key that is different?..maybe other wise?

bye1.gif
zonedoubt
Definitely a VW key. I have one on my car that I bought new (cheap!) from a VW parts house. The key that came with the car had been re-cut so many times it was like a toothpick and I was worried it would snap off in the ignition. I have two keys for my car: one for the door, trunk , etc. and one for the ignition. Doesn't bother me.

Here's where you can get new key/tumbler if anyone is interested in the future:
http://www.cip1.ca/ProductDetails.asp?Prod...191%2D905%2D855
zonedoubt

Nope, should use the same switch.
SLITS
QUOTE(zonedoubt @ Aug 29 2012, 03:17 PM) *

Nope, should use the same switch.

Nope, the assembly is different.

'72 - '74 Electrical Switch

'75 - '76 Electrical Switch
zonedoubt

Nope, the assembly is different.

Yes, but to use the VW key cylinder you can use the same switch.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.