Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 74 914 le Bumblebee
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dirtbikefool
Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum and have been lurking for the past couple of days. I recently bought my old 914 back after being separated from it for 13 years. Upon getting it back I started to do a little research on it and realized it is a limited edition model. It has all of the things from what I have read to be one.
I didn't realize what i had 13 years ago and made the mistake of painting the yellow lower blue and installing a header system on it and getting rid of the wheels. I autocrossed the car. I bought it back with the intentions of subaru swapping it. Now I dont know if I should. I have no idea of its worth. It was rust free when I sold it but unfortunately it has been sitting outside under a rotting car cover for 13years and has rust in the truck and under the battery tray. The oringinal paint is showing some bubbling in a few places as well.
What should I do with this car? Restore? Sell as is and find another to modify? The car also has airconditiong which i removed the compressor and disposed of. I have the oringinal yellow Mahle spare and the heat exchanger that were taking off it. The odometer is reading 67,xxx miles.
Please advise.
URY914
Can you post some pictures of it?
JawjaPorsche
welcome.png

Take lots of pictures and post. Members can give you a better idea then.
dirtbikefool
I will try to get some pics up soon. I have not even had a chance to wash the car. It is a sad sight. I did post the vin# and chassis # along with the build date when I signed up to this forum.
Gustl
welcome.png ... from far, far away biggrin.gif

dirtbikefool
I also removed the bumper tits when I painted the lowers. I just glassed over the holes.Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
dirtbikefool
These are pics taken from my phone just before I loaded it up on the trailer.
dirtbikefool
The last pic I took. I will get some more up after it gets a proper bath. Lol
JeffBowlsby
The LE cars should definitely be restored because so few remain. the rust issues on your car seem repairable, so do what you can to prevent further damages. The Mahles can be replaced and this car can be preserved. Lots of other 914s out there are better candidates for engine swaps if you must, but even a an LE in racing clothes is cool if done in a quality way. Once an LE always an LE.

I would be happy to include your LE on the 914 LE Registry with a little more info. Please contact me directly at jabowlsby-at-gmail.com

Thanks!
poorsche914
Looks fairly complete besides the missing Mahles. If the air dam is original, that is quite rare. Wish mine looked as good sad.gif

driving.gif
dirtbikefool
Wow!! Thanks for all the quick replies. Looks like I have come to the right site.
dirtbikefool
Any idea of the value of the car?
wingnut86
welcome.png

Also, from the outside, your rear lenses seem to be in good shape. A NOS set can run you upwards of $500 with plastic keepers.

You can probably trade the wheels to another member who wants these instead.

Post a FS/WTB/Trade and see what you can find...

Dave
FourBlades

Restore it to LE specs, sell it and buy a more common model if you want to modify one.

John
dlee6204
QUOTE(dirtbikefool @ Aug 30 2012, 12:57 PM) *

Any idea of the value of the car?

I sold my LE Project about a year or so ago for $1300 which included most of the correct bits and spare roller. It was in pretty rough shape. I still wish I would've kept it though.

If your car has rust and hasn't run in 13 years, I would say 1500-2500. The more rust, the lower.
dirtbikefool
Thanks again for the replies. The car ran great up until the previous owner parked it 3 years ago. His reasoning was that his feet were too fat to operate the pedals. Lol
bandjoey
Ok. Let's encourage the man. ArestoredLE is worth what? $15-18k?
Enjoe the restoration
welcome.png
JeffBowlsby
Low-mid $20K's without compromises, maybe more for the right car.
rex66m
QUOTE(dirtbikefool @ Aug 30 2012, 10:19 AM) *

Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum and have been lurking for the past couple of days. I recently bought my old 914 back after being separated from it for 13 years. Upon getting it back I started to do a little research on it and realized it is a limited edition model. It has all of the things from what I have read to be one.
I didn't realize what i had 13 years ago and made the mistake of painting the yellow lower blue and installing a header system on it and getting rid of the wheels. I autocrossed the car. I bought it back with the intentions of subaru swapping it. Now I dont know if I should. I have no idea of its worth. It was rust free when I sold it but unfortunately it has been sitting outside under a rotting car cover for 13years and has rust in the truck and under the battery tray. The oringinal paint is showing some bubbling in a few places as well.
What should I do with this car? Restore? Sell as is and find another to modify? The car also has airconditiong which i removed the compressor and disposed of. I have the oringinal yellow Mahle spare and the heat exchanger that were taking off it. The odometer is reading 67,xxx miles.
Please advise.

I've actually got 4 mahles that I will let go for pretty cheap. Got them, but they need some work and would rather put the money elsewhere. down the road in bham. looks like you got a little diamond in the (not so) rough. - rex
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.