Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Welding a gas tank?!?!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
blaize
So I found two little pinholes on my gastank. the area that sits on the little shelf has rusted. a patch about the size of a dollar bill. so if I flush the tank with water and leave as much as I can in it at the time what are your collective thoughts on me welding (mig) a patch panel in? I also considered using JB weld to patch it but as we all know the rust will just keep on growing under there.
McMark
Acid dip it, get a tank coating kit that has rust neutralizer in it or get muiatic acid from a supply house. The acid will neutralize the rust. Then JB weld or solder to repair. I would never weld on a gas tank unless I was a certified welder with years of experience. If you do decide to weld, make sure to borrow some saftey gear from your local bomb squad.

beerchug.gif
GWN7
I'd take it to a rad shop and have it boiled/cleaned/hot tanked to see if it is worth saving first. That way you will know it's safe to weld on. If they clean it and it has many pin holes, you could ask/look in the classifieds to see if you can get a replacement tank at a cheaper cost than the repair will run you.
blaize
The rest of the tank is rock solid. not a speck of rust anywhere else. I may neutralize and jb weld it. seems a helluva lot safer
Cap'n Krusty
Waste of time. Spend the bux, do it right, live to drive your car. JB wels isn;t up to the job. I have a neighbor without a brother and nephew as a result of a mistake welding a gas tank truck at his own professional welding shop. Any competent radiator shop can fix it for you. The Cap'n
Howard
agree.gif

Or better, get another tank. We don't like losing 914 guys!
bob91403
I've heard of people converting them to fuel cells. Might be worth looking in to. boldblue.gif
Qarl
Fill it with some sort of fluid before welding... like gasoline or moonshine.

Just kidding
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(Qarl @ Oct 26 2004, 09:10 AM)

Actually that's better than trying to weld it empty.
The liquid isn't explosive but the fumes are.
I don't recommend MIG if you want it to be leaktight.
Clean it thoroughly and fill with water, tip it so the weld area is at the top and not in contact with the water inside - if you are determined to do it yourself.
A competent professional welder would purge it with Argon and TIG weld it - cost should be no more than $100.
You might find a good replacement for less than that.
I have welded many gas tanks that way - no boo-boos yet. biggrin.gif
IronHillRestorations
The oldest body shop in our town used to repair fuel tanks by gas brazing them.

They did it as follows: attach a rubber exhaust hose to an exhaust pipe of a running car and the other end to the fuel tank, let the car run for about a half hour or until the fuel tank was a little warm to the touch, braze the holes and let cool before disconnecting everything.

This was done outside of course, and they never lost any body men doing it.

I probably wouldn't do it this way though. The argon gas method is probably the best approach.
andys
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Oct 26 2004, 05:53 AM)
QUOTE(Qarl @ Oct 26 2004, 09:10 AM)

Actually that's better than trying to weld it empty.
The liquid isn't explosive but the fumes are.
I don't recommend MIG if you want it to be leaktight.
Clean it thoroughly and fill with water, tip it so the weld area is at the top and not in contact with the water inside - if you are determined to do it yourself.
A competent professional welder would purge it with Argon and TIG weld it - cost should be no more than $100.
You might find a good replacement for less than that.
I have welded many gas tanks that way - no boo-boos yet. biggrin.gif

For that money, I had my tank acid dipped, coated, and painted.....oh, and any holes repaired.

Andy
Aaron Cox
tanks are like a dime a dozen. cheap!. im sure you could get a good used tank for 50 shipped smile.gif
dinomium
Heck, I have a couple of spare good tanks... Not worth the danger IMHO!
I you MUST weld it yer self, Welding tutor thread from Geoff will help!
wink.gif
Root_Werks
If you do decide to weld it, I agree with a previous post, fill it with water first. I have done 2 tanks this way. Not 914 tanks, but gas tanks. Otherwise, I would just find another used one. They don't damage often and should be plenty of them around. wink.gif
Jeroen
I just read a mag this week where they said to rinse the tank first and then run exhaust fumes through it (like Perry states above). That should take care of any left over gas fumes

Then again better be safe than sorry. Not a thing I'd like to experiment with...
Sparky
Send it to FuelSafe and have the conversion done. I've seen one up close and they are awesome. Not sure about the cost.....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.