Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My Latest Creation
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ChrisFoley
This is for a 356 race car that runs in the Carrera Panamericana.

Exhaust Photo
john rogers
Is there enough room for a two stage dry sump pump between the case and the muffler? Looks really great.
street legal go-kart
really nice work chris!
one of my brothers is a comercial/certified welder so i look at some things most other people dont even notice ,and i mean it when i say NICE WORK .
let me know if you are going to produce type 4 exhaust for our teeners that is streetable
i cant pull my brother away from the blown alki 1/4 mile hydro this time of year ,so getting him to help is not happening
thx jt
airsix
Very nice Chris. Where do you get your header parts? I need a 4-into-1 collector and can't find anyone who sells one small enough. I also like how you used the bus-style stub tubes. Did you fab those (and the flanges), or does someone supply them? I was going to order some bends and flanges tonight but I'll wait to hear what you have to say.

I'm building a turbo header. (never done this before)

-Ben M.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(john rogers @ May 13 2003, 05:33 PM)
Is there enough room for a two stage dry sump pump between the case and the muffler?

I am sure there is!
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(street legal go-kart @ May 13 2003, 06:57 PM)

let me know if you are going to produce type 4 exhaust for our teeners that is streetable

I already do that, but I have had some difficulty working out a satisfactory heat exchanger for the colder climate people.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(airsix @ May 13 2003, 07:05 PM)
Very nice Chris. Where do you get your header parts? I need a 4-into-1 collector and can't find anyone who sells one small enough. I also like how you used the bus-style stub tubes. Did you fab those (and the flanges), or does someone supply them? I was going to order some bends and flanges tonight but I'll wait to hear what you have to say.

I'm building a turbo header. (never done this before)

-Ben M.

I buy mandrel bent 180's and cut them to fit in my fixtures. The bends are too complicated for even CNC machinery. Even the collectors are custom made by me. The U-bends come from Hooker through a local wholesaler. The 16ga tube sizes I use are not widely available.
The stub pipes are 1 1/2"od T304 stainless tubes tapered up to 1 5/8" at the outlet. Everything else is mild steel.
I have several boxes of laser cut flanges, 1 1/2", 1 5/8" and 1 3/4" holes.
Try Burns Stainless for a collector.
ChrisFoley
Here's another view, showing the ground clearance.
ChrisReale
Ok, your 914 headers with your phase 9 silencer, How loud is it compared to a bursch muffler, if the Bursch is a 5 (out of 10, which is the loudest) I know you probably have answered this question to death, so if you dont mind one more time....Thanks
Brad Roberts
Damn.. crazy stuff. I was thinking to myself this evening (where has ChrisF been) no joke.

I see you where busy.

Just a quick glance... I only see one bend radius that would be difficult to bend on the CNC tubing benders. So.. 3 out of 4 could be bent easily.

B
Brad Roberts
Any easy reason why you use mild steel over doing full stainless exhaust for this application ??

I take it your buying the stub tubes already made for you ??

That system does look trick.

What length primaries are those ??

Sorry for 20 questions.. it looks good.

B
Tony C
B, I don't think either of the two right side pipes could be bent using one continuos pipe. The bends are to tightly spaced together along with the rotation that is needed.

-tony
Brad Roberts
I was thinking the front one couldnt be done.. but I didnt see any rotation in the back one.

B
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(ChrisReale @ May 13 2003, 07:47 PM)
Ok, your 914 headers with your phase 9 silencer, How loud is it compared to a bursch muffler, if the Bursch is a 5 (out of 10, which is the loudest) I know you probably have answered this question to death, so if you dont mind one more time....Thanks

It's probably a 6. A little too loud for a street car, not nearly loud enough for a race car. At Loudon two weeks ago the SCCA sound readings on my race car were 86, 87 dB (about 5000rpm, wot). That's below the street legal maximum in Connecticut.
When I got my first 914, I had a muffler (Thunderbird) that was loud. My ears hurt after more than 1/2 hour in the car. I haven't driven a street car much with just a Phase 9, but do I know with the Quiet Can in addition to the Phase 9 I can drive all day no problem. MDB2.gif
Britain Smith
Do you have the website with the phase 9 stuff on it?

-Britain
ChrisReale
QUOTE(Schmuck69 @ May 13 2003, 09:18 PM)

-Britain

www.tangerineracing.com
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ May 13 2003, 07:58 PM)
Any easy reason why you use mild steel over doing full stainless exhaust for this application ??

I take it your buying the stub tubes already made for you ??

That system does look trick.

What length primaries are those ??

Sorry for 20 questions.. it looks good.

B

1) cost. The stainless is actually better for the stubbies though. It is more malleable, so it is easier to taper them

2) I make them from scratch. I have the flanges cut locally. # 2 & 3 are different than # 1 & 4

3)Primaries are around 25"

#3 & 4 primaries also have closely spaced bends, but the rotation is less complex. What is the closest spacing you can achieve between bends? I can do 0.0" between bends.
Britain Smith

-Britain

Uh...DOH? What was I thinking...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.